Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Oct 2, 2007, 06:41 PM   #1
Jade Cambell
Banned

I can't get Wi-Fi to work on my iPhone, via Mac Pro.

I just created a Wi-Fi network with my Mac Pro's airport card, and my iPhone can't connect to it. It just says "Cannot connect to the network". Why would it do this? What do I need to do?
Jade Cambell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2007, 07:04 PM   #2
Tallest Skil
Banned

How did you create a network using just the card? This is probably why it doesn't work. You can't. Go grab an Airport Express from Best Buy. Namaste.
Tallest Skil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2007, 07:05 PM   #3
Jade Cambell
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post
How did you create a network using just the card? This is probably why it doesn't work. You can't. Go grab an Airport Express from Best Buy. Namaste.
It lets me create a network using just the card. It shows up as a network on my iPhone. It has full bars. It just doesn't let me connect.
Old Oct 2, 2007, 07:32 PM   #4
oyce
macrumors newbie

In "System Preferences" -> "Sharing", in the "Services" tab, make sure "Personal Web Sharing" is ON.

In the "Firewall" tab, make sure you are allowing Personal Web Sharing.

In the "Internet" tab, it should indicate that you are sharing from Built-In ethernet (I assume) to computers using Airport.

Those are what my settings are, and my iPhone can get to the web via my Powerbook. For mail on the iPhone to work, I had to go to "Firewall" and create a new port. Port name "Other", TPC port numbers: 143, 25, 110, 465. (You may not need 465 open.) No UDP ports. I named it "Mail."
oyce is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2007, 07:35 PM   #5
CJD2112

Also, make sure you don't have a "Closed Network". You may have to configure your router so that it recognizes the MAC address on your iPhone. Go into "Settings" -> "General" -> "About" then "WiFi Address" (usually referred to as MAC address). Make sure your router knows to allow the iPhone access to your WiFi network.
CJD2112 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2007, 07:37 PM   #6
CJD2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade Cambell View Post
It lets me create a network using just the card. It shows up as a network on my iPhone. It has full bars. It just doesn't let me connect.
Wait, this is confusing. Connect to what? Your network? You can create a network but without an actual internet connection you're just connecting to a network, not the internet. Do you have a router that is online? More info would be helpful.
CJD2112 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2007, 08:42 PM   #7
Jade Cambell
Banned

Of course I have a router that's online. I've got a modem, plugged into a router, which plugs into a hub, which plugs into a bunch of computers. We're all on the internet, and none of our devices seem to slow down or hinder the internet connection in any way. A computer plugged directly into the modem speed tests about the same as a computer plugged into the hub at the end of the line.

Anyways, after turning on all the web sharing preferences, it sort of works, but it's really slow, and sometimes tells me that it can't find the server. I did put the mac/IP address into my routers preferences, and it didn't make a difference.

I have a 6mb down/512k up connection, so you'd think the wi-fi would be pretty fast, right?

I'm gonna restart my computer, and my iPhone and see what happens.

edit: It seems like when I put the Mac address into my router preferences, the iPhone will load a page really fast, but then it'll stop working right after that. It lets me go to apple.com really well, but it won't load hotmail or anything.

Last edited by Jade Cambell; Oct 2, 2007 at 08:52 PM.
Old Oct 2, 2007, 09:05 PM   #8
ahand
macrumors member

i just got that to work on my macbook pro. i have it hooked up to a cable modem via ethernet and used a shared airport connection and the iphone connected and i was able to go onto the itunes wifi store and it was very fast, so it must be something you have turned on or off on the mac pro.
ahand is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2007, 09:10 PM   #9
Jade Cambell
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahand View Post
it must be something you have turned on or off on the mac pro.
That's very helpful. Thank you. Anyone else know what it might be?

edit: I got the music store running really fast on it, but some websites still load really slowly. Overall though, it seems to work.

Thanks!

Last edited by Jade Cambell; Oct 2, 2007 at 09:45 PM.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone