Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jade Cambell

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
I just created a Wi-Fi network with my Mac Pro's airport card, and my iPhone can't connect to it. It just says "Cannot connect to the network". Why would it do this? What do I need to do?

Jade Cambell

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
How did you create a network using just the card? This is probably why it doesn't work. You can't. Go grab an Airport Express from Best Buy. Namaste. :D

It lets me create a network using just the card. It shows up as a network on my iPhone. It has full bars. It just doesn't let me connect.

oyce

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2007
SC
In "System Preferences" -> "Sharing", in the "Services" tab, make sure "Personal Web Sharing" is ON.

In the "Firewall" tab, make sure you are allowing Personal Web Sharing.

In the "Internet" tab, it should indicate that you are sharing from Built-In ethernet (I assume) to computers using Airport.

Those are what my settings are, and my iPhone can get to the web via my Powerbook. For mail on the iPhone to work, I had to go to "Firewall" and create a new port. Port name "Other", TPC port numbers: 143, 25, 110, 465. (You may not need 465 open.) No UDP ports. I named it "Mail."

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2006
Also, make sure you don't have a "Closed Network". You may have to configure your router so that it recognizes the MAC address on your iPhone. Go into "Settings" -> "General" -> "About" then "WiFi Address" (usually referred to as MAC address). Make sure your router knows to allow the iPhone access to your WiFi network.

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2006
It lets me create a network using just the card. It shows up as a network on my iPhone. It has full bars. It just doesn't let me connect.

Wait, this is confusing. Connect to what? Your network? You can create a network but without an actual internet connection you're just connecting to a network, not the internet. Do you have a router that is online? More info would be helpful.

Jade Cambell

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
Of course I have a router that's online. I've got a modem, plugged into a router, which plugs into a hub, which plugs into a bunch of computers. We're all on the internet, and none of our devices seem to slow down or hinder the internet connection in any way. A computer plugged directly into the modem speed tests about the same as a computer plugged into the hub at the end of the line.

Anyways, after turning on all the web sharing preferences, it sort of works, but it's really slow, and sometimes tells me that it can't find the server. I did put the mac/IP address into my routers preferences, and it didn't make a difference.

I have a 6mb down/512k up connection, so you'd think the wi-fi would be pretty fast, right?

I'm gonna restart my computer, and my iPhone and see what happens.

edit: It seems like when I put the Mac address into my router preferences, the iPhone will load a page really fast, but then it'll stop working right after that. It lets me go to apple.com really well, but it won't load hotmail or anything.

ahand

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2007
i just got that to work on my macbook pro. i have it hooked up to a cable modem via ethernet and used a shared airport connection and the iphone connected and i was able to go onto the itunes wifi store and it was very fast, so it must be something you have turned on or off on the mac pro.

Jade Cambell

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
it must be something you have turned on or off on the mac pro.

That's very helpful. Thank you. Anyone else know what it might be?

edit: I got the music store running really fast on it, but some websites still load really slowly. Overall though, it seems to work.

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.