Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

G5Unit

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 3, 2005
I'm calling the cops
My earbuds are already crackling and I have only been using them for 2 days!

I am still within the 14 day return policy. Can I return just the headphones to my local apple store and pick up new ones?

I ordered the iPod touch on the 5th and got it on the 20th. Tomorrow is the 14th day, is it possible?

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
Yes, you can return the headphones. If you have a local Apple store, they should be able to swap them out in less than five minutes (I'm not even sure if they would make it be a transaction).

G5Unit

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 3, 2005
I'm calling the cops
Yes, you can return the headphones. If you have a local Apple store, they should be able to swap them out in less than five minutes (I'm not even sure if they would make it be a transaction).

Ok, I'll do that tomorrow then. I am planning on buying better headphones, just not right now.

Rhosfelt

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2007
I don't want to be raped :(
Yeah I noticed crackling today, and I have had it for about a week... I think it was because I was playing music about 75% of the way up, which my norm is no more than 50%..

I was scared it was the iPt, then i listened a little more carefully.

SirithX

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2007
San Francisco
The earbuds that come with iPods aren't too good in quality, as any audiophile would tell you. If you have an Apple Store nearby and can easily go and replace them for free without any trouble, then go for it, but any time and money you spend is much better off just getting a quality pair of earbuds.

shigzeo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2005
Japan
quality earbuds?

yeah, you could do that. you can spend up to 1150$ usd on a pair of iems that will work well for your ipod, but... any expensive or even inexpensive canalphones, iems that are not earbuds will run the propblem of showing hiss of your source. i had um2, e500 and now have atrio m5. i sold the prior two as they hissed with all my sources and my gf's nano.

they more quality you get, the more you will have to invest in amplifiers or other such things unless you don't mind hiss as the shures, westones, atrios anything will hiss. even senn cx300 and the like will hiss.

a good earbud like yuin pk1 pk2 and pk3 will not hiss much, but they are non-isolating and look bad so you may just eventually treat them poorly. as far as sound is concerned, the apple earbuds are not bad at all for earbuds.

they perform reasonably well against the more respected sennheiser mx series (if only because they are not apple). get another pair for free - you do at least deserve that much. to get much better, you will have to pay at least twice the amount.

lofight

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2007
i asked in a Apple shop and they said the warranty with earbuds are, you can return them and get freely new ones if they crackly sounds, so return them and get new ones, this falls under the 1-year garranty.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
75% volume is way way too loud. Generally speaking with the volume at 50% and using the stock buds you should be limiting your listening to around 30 minutes. You can listen longer if you go to lower volume levels.

While listening at a lower volume will initially bother you, your brain will adjust to it and the volume will sound "normal" after a while.

More efficient earphones will also let you get decent listening volumes without having to crank the thing.

If you think hearing loss is a joke, put in some ear plugs and see if you hear "ringing" noises. That's called tinnitus (permanant ringing in the ears) and it will only get worse the longer you listen at high volumes.... to be followed by more serious hearing loss problems.

lofight

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2007
75% volume is way way too loud. Generally speaking with the volume at 50% and using the stock buds you should be limiting your listening to around 30 minutes. You can listen longer if you go to lower volume levels.

While listening at a lower volume will initially bother you, your brain will adjust to it and the volume will sound "normal" after a while.

More efficient earphones will also let you get decent listening volumes without having to crank the thing.

If you think hearing loss is a joke, put in some ear plugs and see if you hear "ringing" noises. That's called tinnitus (permanant ringing in the ears) and it will only get worse the longer you listen at high volumes.... to be followed by more serious hearing loss problems.
thanks for the info, i'm going to put the volume of my ipod a little lower after hearing this.

intempo808

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2007
Theres a simple way to fix them...

I disected a pair of headphones once and found a small "paper" thin piece of plastic within it... DONT DISECT IT!

What you need to do is suck and blow into the heaphones... okay it is weird... and dogey... but it seriously works! I have tried it and it will fix them!

Promise!

Rhosfelt

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2007
I don't want to be raped :(

The only reason I had them at 75% was because I was at the gym, and I'd say no more than 20 minutes. I am pretty careful when it comes to the volume of my earbuds those cause more damage than probably anything..

However, actually speakers, crank that haha it takes about 110dbps, I think, to cause damage which as loud as a jet engine.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
The only reason I had them at 75% was because I was at the gym, and I'd say no more than 20 minutes. I am pretty careful when it comes to the volume of my earbuds those cause more damage than probably anything..

However, actually speakers, crank that haha it takes about 110dbps, I think, to cause damage which as loud as a jet engine.

Actually earbuds at the same dB level cause more damage than speakers at the same levels due to the closer proximity to the ear drum.

I agree that 75% for short periods of time with the stock buds is unlikely to cause substantial damage. However, levels of as "low" as 88dB can cause longterm damage if they persist for more than a few hours.

I've always been fairly cautious with my ears and still have persistent tinnitus to the level where I have to have a noise machine on at night to sleep... it's really not a pleasant thing. Once you have it there is no cure for it.

In any event, best of luck with your blown up ear buds.

ChrisBrightwell

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2004
Huntsville, AL
Yeah I noticed crackling today, and I have had it for about a week... I think it was because I was playing music about 75% of the way up, which my norm is no more than 50%..

Wow ... I rarely pass the 25% or 30% mark. 75% would make my ears bleed, I think.

I've had tinnitus since I was 3 (thanks to an ear infection) and have to have a fan on at night in order to sleep (it helps drown out the ringing in my ears). Trust me, this is not a condition you want to have.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
do yourself a favor and by a pair of MDR-V6's

Come on now. The MDV6 is hardly portable (and yes, I have a pair). If you want good sound with portable in ear monitors there are many options however to replace the stock buds with ones that sound better.

jnc

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2007
Nunya, Business TX
Bring your old earphones in along with your iPod, they check the serial number (sometimes even skipping this step if you clearly have a new model) and if you're within your 12 months you get a new pair of earphones, no questions.

Arisian

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
China
Come on now. The MDV6 is hardly portable (and yes, I have a pair). If you want good sound with portable in ear monitors there are many options however to replace the stock buds with ones that sound better.

true, they are hardly portable... nor can I actually argue with anything you said. They are wonderful monitors though (still dont replace my studio monitors), though the sound of a normal ipod earphone versus a good pair of headphones (ie, mdr-v6's) is night and day.

we use shure PSM 600 wireless monitor systems with SCL5 inears for live shows and I just get so tired of inear monitors (even with my custom sleeves)

:)

cheers
Arisian

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
How are your ears?

I would not suggest the V-Modas, they sound really nice, and they look cool, but the build quality is junk. I was on my third replacement pair of them when I decided to take the loss.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
true, they are hardly portable... nor can I actually argue with anything you said. They are wonderful monitors though (still dont replace my studio monitors), though the sound of a normal ipod earphone versus a good pair of headphones (ie, mdr-v6's) is night and day.

we use shure PSM 600 wireless monitor systems with SCL5 inears for live shows and I just get so tired of inear monitors (even with my custom sleeves)

:)

cheers
Arisian

I have several headphones including a set of V6s. Still not conveniant for portable iPod use unless you were using them in an office every day and could just leave them there.

I use the cheapo JVC Marshmallows on my iTouch for working out and other activities where they could get damaged.

I have the E500PTH Shure headphones for real listening on the iTouch.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
i was looking at getting v-modas...are they bad...or a good buy?

They are the 'chic' headphones to get right now. I think that there are probably much better ones available in the same price range, but I have no first hand experience with them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.