Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davekarn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2007
So I just bought a new iMac and put all of my music from my other computer onto it. However, when I synced my iPod with the iMac, it said that I couldn't put any of my purchased stuff on it! Is there some way around this, or am I just SOL and have to buy it over again on this computer? Don't mean to be off topic if I am, figured there would be some iMac owners that have went through this as well. Thanks for any info!

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Need more details. What type of computer is the music being transferred from? Where did you purchase the music?

davekarn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 27, 2007
Need more details. What type of computer is the music being transferred from? Where did you purchase the music?

It was iTunes music and a Dave Chappelle video AND a ringtone that I paid for. It was coming from my Dell laptop that I had iTunes on prior to this Mac and when I switched everything over and synced up my iPod and iPhone with it, no luck.

rjedoaks

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2007
Los Angeles
Itunes will only sync to 1 computer

It was iTunes music and a Dave Chappelle video AND a ringtone that I paid for. It was coming from my Dell laptop that I had iTunes on prior to this Mac and when I switched everything over and synced up my iPod and iPhone with it, no luck.

Same thing happened to me when I bought the Imac.

I never really tried to find a solution though. Maybe. Good luck

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Hmm, I don't know. I have done this many times without a hitch. I just purchased the new iMac as well, used my 5th gen iPod as a hard drive and transferred a whole file filled with all my mp3's and purchased songs from my old Mac to the iPod. Then connected the iPod and moved that file with all my iTunes songs on it to the new iMac.
When I played the purchased songs iTunes asked for my password and I entered it and the songs played. Then I connected my 5th gen iPod to the new iMac to sync and it synced all my songs without a hitch.
It shouldn't matter but unless it has something to do with iTunes music on Windows that carries over some special Windows DRM I can't see why you would have issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.