the crownless again shall be King.
Luis is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2007, 10:49 PM   #4
ARH1956
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedoggiant View Post
does this make sense?
IMO, there are far more durable, insurable, & practical phones for a 14 year old. Most 14 year olds are VERY easily distracted, side-tracked and prone to lose, misplace, damage or destroy small electronic devices with alarming regularity.
ARH1956 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2007, 10:51 PM   #5
Victor ch
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
does this make sense?
Emm.. Im 15 (16 in few days) and have one hehe don't see the problem with this. I really use it and fits me perfectly, maybe its a bit orientated towards business people but still use useful for non-business people. Im assuming its for you (havent read your profile so I assume you're 14), Maybe its a bit too much. but who am I to judge although you must be over 18 to activate with AT&T but who cares.
Old Oct 2, 2007, 10:52 PM   #6
mrat93
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to mrat93
Well, it depends... I'm 14 and I have an iPhone. I paid for it myself. I am paying for the monthly plan. Under these circumstances, I think this makes sense.
Old Oct 2, 2007, 10:54 PM   #7
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Quote:
does this make sense?
Personally, I wouldn't get my 14 year old child an iPhone. I did buy my daughter one for her 16th birthday.
Old Oct 2, 2007, 10:55 PM   #8
bwiissofly
macrumors 6502

Quote:
does this make sense?
I do not see a problem with it as long as you work hard for it and deserve it...why not?
Old Oct 2, 2007, 11:31 PM   #9
atarin
macrumors regular

Why not?

I got my nephew and niece phones when they were 8 and 10, respectively. They are on my family plan. I have bought them each three phones over the years, increasing the abilities of the phones as the kids matured. My niece is now 12, and my nephew is about to turn 14. I plan on getting them iPhones for Christmas. They have been very responsible. I think it depends on the particular child, though. Some kids are more responsible than others.

For my niece and nephew, it makes sense. They have spent hours getting to know my iPhone, and they really appreciate all it can do. Kids are very tech savvy these days, and they want more than "just a phone." I can't wait for Christmas to give them theirs! Plus, since they can't buy stuff over the iPhone other than on the WiFi iTunes music store (they would have to pay, not me), and since there are no ridiculous subscription services available, I feel safer financially (no possible surprise charges on the bill, although they have never done that to me before). The iPhone data plan is actually cheaper than the MediaNet plan I have them on now, so my bill will go down while giving them more Internet than they get now, as well. It's a win-win situation!

I have told them that this is the last time I am buying them phones (yeah, right, I can't really be sure of that - I do spoil them - but they think this is the last time), and that if they lose them or break them, they will have to replace them on their own. They know how expensive they are, and they have agreed. But like I said, it depends on the kid. If my niece and nephew were irresponsible or clueless about the value of things (especially money), then I wouldn't do it.
Old Oct 2, 2007, 11:36 PM   #10
thebassoonist
macrumors 6502a

i don't see a problem with it, but make sure to tell them to keep them close (like their pocket). i had an ipod stolen and a phone stolen when i was in high school, so just keep that in mind.
Old Oct 2, 2007, 11:48 PM   #11
Sobe
macrumors 68000

If the 14 year old worked and earned the money himself, then sure.

Otherwise, forget it.
Sobe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2007, 11:49 PM   #12
nickspohn
macrumors 68040

Only reason they need a iPhone is that they can go brag to their friends. Seriously.

But if they are the one paying for it, go for it.

Otherwise,

Look at the Moto Q rather than the iPhone.
nickspohn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2007, 12:00 AM   #13
D4F

Looking at posts written in this forums seems to me that the average user of the iPhone is somewhere between the age of 9-10 as most post are a constant whine and drama queen style written words.

Age is just a state of mind. You decide.
D4F is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2007, 03:18 AM   #14
IDANNY
macrumors 6502a

well its hard to say , it matters on the person, when i was 14 i would have loved to have an iphone. But i wouldnt have bought one for myself cause i would think i would break it. but everyone is different.
My Time Clock ! Website
IDANNY is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2007, 03:24 AM   #15
miniConvert
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to miniConvert Send a message via MSN to miniConvert
I don't think parents appreciate that when their children have mobile phones they can make, and more importantly receive, calls and text messages from anywhere in the world, from potentially anonymous sources.

I've dealt with many an angry parent blaming everyone but themselves when their child receives something unsavoury on their Internationally-connected telephone, as if there should somehow be censorship or protection to stop it from happening. That said, they normally have similar views towards the Internet, thinking it should be some sort of 'Universal, suitable for all' playpen.

Sorry if this is a bit abstract. I guess what I'm trying to say is: get a Touch Or even better, a regular iPod.
Old Oct 3, 2007, 03:31 AM   #16
epicwelshman
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to epicwelshman Send a message via MSN to epicwelshman Send a message via Skype™ to epicwelshman
I dunno, I do feel that 14 is a little young. While kids are tech savvy, and some 14 year olds are quite mature, I think it's better sometimes to wait for certain things until you can really appreciate them. I'm not trying to upset anyone, this is just my perspective. The iPhone is an expensive piece of technology and in my eyes I'm not sure it's incredibly appropriate for a child.
epicwelshman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2007, 04:48 AM   #17
imacdaddy
macrumors 6502a

It's not about the age or maturity. It's about being happy. Either they just want it for the coolness factor (hellova coolness factor indeed), or to have the latest and greatest or for self satisfaction. Happiness aside, anyone who utilises less than 50% of the iPhone's capabilities and functions, is wasting money IMHO.
Old Oct 3, 2007, 05:06 AM   #18
RevToTheRedline
macrumors 6502

This is the only thing a 14 year old should need.

I didn't buy my first cellphone till I was 20.. Why? because I didn't need it. So why should a 14 year old. Other than for emergency.

RevToTheRedline is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2007, 05:12 AM   #19
zap2
macrumors 604

do you trust the 14 year old?

Is he/she likely not to break the iPhone?

If so, why not?

Lots 14 year olds have iPods, lots have cell phones...why not mix the 2 together?
Old Oct 3, 2007, 06:17 AM   #20
iSaint
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to iSaint
I actually offered my 13 year old an iPhone. She doesn't want one. She realizes she may lose it or damage it! I'm kinda proud of her!
Old Oct 3, 2007, 07:20 AM   #21
erandall38
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to erandall38
I would be worried about a 14 year old playing with it too much to the point where it was distracting them from school/school work... experiencing that 1st hand in college, haha
erandall38 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2007, 07:26 AM   #22
oseary
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to oseary Send a message via MSN to oseary Send a message via Yahoo to oseary
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrat93 View Post
Well, it depends... I'm 14 and I have an iPhone. I paid for it myself. I am paying for the monthly plan. Under these circumstances, I think this makes sense.
Agreed. If one buys the unit, pays for the units recurring costs, then yea... let he/she have one... Why not? Everyone (not just teenagers) is annoying as all heck in public with their phones!
Old Oct 3, 2007, 07:30 AM   #23
powersrus
macrumors newbie

Smile

My Son Is 14...had Just Turned 14 Four Days Before Iday...he Sold His PS3, An Old DS, Some Games , Turned In Some Pop Cans And Used His Birthday Money To Buy A Iphone....we Waited In Line For 2 And A 1/2
Days...he Is A Very Responseable Kid And After All He Did To Get One ......why Not!!!!
powersrus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2007, 07:44 AM   #24
tsvb
macrumors 6502

If I was 14 I would want one but if I had a 14 year old I would not buy one for him/her.
tsvb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2007, 07:48 AM   #25
The Stig
macrumors 6502a

I guess it really depends on the kid, but in general I wouldn't. If I have a 14 year old, I would NOT give them an iphone. If they saved money and bought one and paid for it themselves they could have one. But I wouldn't be spending any money on it.

The Stig

AND, I'm Canadian, so he is out of luck anyway. My kid wouldn't get an ipod before me anyway!

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone