Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Oct 3, 2007, 07:54 PM   #1
Telp
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to Telp
Phonetic First/Last Name

Is this a new option under the add field under the contacts menu? Either way, what exactly does it mean or do?
Old Oct 3, 2007, 09:10 PM   #2
FreeState
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telp View Post
Is this a new option under the add field under the contacts menu? Either way, what exactly does it mean or do?
It there for say.. well here is an example:

Say your the President of a large nation. Only problem - you can't really read, even though our wife is a librarian. So your librarian wife enters into your phone book on your phone the correct way to say a diplomats name, that way when you go to call French President Sarkozy "[sar-KOzee]" you don't mess up his name or the name of their country [frans].

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalra...peech-has.html

Last edited by FreeState; Oct 3, 2007 at 09:15 PM.
FreeState is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2007, 09:46 PM   #3
PupnTaco
macrumors regular

Good one
Old Oct 3, 2007, 10:08 PM   #4
Telp
macrumors 68040

Haha, alright thanks, i wasnt sure if there was a greater meaning to it. It is new though right? i dont remember seeing them there before...
Old Oct 3, 2007, 10:13 PM   #5
Gonzlobo
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeState View Post
It there for say.. well here is an example:

Say your the President of a large nation. Only problem - you can't really read, even though our wife is a librarian. So your librarian wife enters into your phone book on your phone the correct way to say a diplomats name, that way when you go to call French President Sarkozy "[sar-KOzee]" you don't mess up his name or the name of their country [frans].

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalra...peech-has.html
Here's another person criticizing another's intelligence, yet they don't know the correct your/you're usage. You gotta laugh sometimes.
Old Oct 3, 2007, 10:16 PM   #6
Telp
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzlobo View Post
Here's another person criticizing another's intelligence, yet they don't know the correct your/you're usage. You gotta laugh sometimes.
Theres a difference between writing on a blog and being the president of a nation. You got to laugh sometimes, but right now im laughing at you for actually saying that. Lighten up man.
Old Oct 3, 2007, 10:58 PM   #7
FreeState
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzlobo View Post
Im not the president of a large country, I don't expect anyone to think Im smart - or even expect me to use proper grammar on a bulletin board were no one even knows me. Im surprised you didn't point out my other typo's to be honest.

(You do know the proper usage of you're Im assuming - you know you use it instead of 'you are'... like you're reaching here...) :P
FreeState is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2007, 12:15 AM   #8
boss1
macrumors 6502a

Im curious to know why so many threads on internet forums side track into debates and disputes regarding spelling. There should be a statistic out there that states "an unusually high amount".

This isn't a place where people tediously review their submissions as if it were a final thesis for their doctrine degree. Typing your instead of you're on a board means absolutely nothing. its just casual typing
boss1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2009, 11:02 AM   #9
pendolino
macrumors member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss1 View Post
Im curious to know why so many threads on internet forums side track into debates and disputes regarding spelling. There should be a statistic out there that states "an unusually high amount".
im guessing it may be noobs trying to flash/flex their mental muscles or just pedants like me. after you've done it for a while you get bored so that's why i say they must be noobs.

i agree: stick to the point. people have limited time.
pendolino is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2009, 11:05 AM   #10
abijnk
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to abijnk
Quote:

This isn't a place where people tediously review their submissions as if it were a final thesis for their doctrine degree. Typing your instead of you're on a board means absolutely nothing. its just casual typing
It's just a nicer version of Godwin's Law.
abijnk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2009, 03:34 PM   #11
Interstella5555
macrumors 603

Quote:

I don't expect a thesis out of you, but it's hard to feel like you're having an intelligent conversation with someone when basic grammar/spelling are ignored.
Interstella5555 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2009, 07:28 PM   #12
Surrix
macrumors regular

Is this an additional field parsed by Voice Control for names with odd pronunciations?
Surrix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2013, 07:17 AM   #13
Pinstrypsoldier
macrumors newbie

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeState View Post
Im not the president of a large country, I don't expect anyone to think Im smart - or even expect me to use proper grammar on a bulletin board were no one even knows me. Im surprised you didn't point out my other typo's to be honest.

(You do know the proper usage of you're Im assuming - you know you use it instead of 'you are'... like you're reaching here...) :P
If you're going to (for some strange reason) pull people up on their use of spelling and grammar (especially for something as arbitrary as 'your' and 'you're') then you may want to discover the proper usage for 'were' and 'where'.

Also, in words like 'I'm' you need to make sure there is an apostrophe in place of the 'a' in 'I am'. Rather than just putting 'Im' with no apostrophe. If you're going to put an apostrophe in 'didn't' like you're supposed to, you might want to put it in the word 'I'm' like your supposed to.

Just saying......retard.
Pinstrypsoldier is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2013, 03:06 PM   #14
lelisa13p
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinstrypsoldier View Post
If you're going to (for some strange reason) pull people up on their use of spelling and grammar (especially for something as arbitrary as 'your' and 'you're') then you may want to discover the proper usage for 'were' and 'where'.

Also, in words like 'I'm' you need to make sure there is an apostrophe in place of the 'a' in 'I am'. Rather than just putting 'Im' with no apostrophe. If you're going to put an apostrophe in 'didn't' like you're supposed to, you might want to put it in the word 'I'm' like your supposed to.

Just saying......retard.
Watch who you're name-calling. This thread has been completely DEAD for 4 years until you dragged it up.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 03:12 PM   #15
Night Spring
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telp View Post
Phonetic field is useful for languages like Chinese and Japanese where the written form of the language doesn't necessarily tell you how to pronounce names. I know that sounds very weird, but it's a quirk of the Chinese / Japanese writing system, where some letters (called "characters") represent ideas rather than sounds.

It is also useful if you have a name that is spelled in a way where Siri can't figure out how to pronounce it correctly. You type what it sounds like in the phonetic field, and Siri will pronounce that instead of how it's spelled.
Night Spring is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting