Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nlivo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 18, 2007
Ballarat, Australia
I have never ever been able to get smart playlists to do what i want.....ever. I seriously never know what i am doing wrong. Could someone please tell me the settings i need to be able to have all the songs in my library (no movies, no tv shows, no music videos) in a playlist whilst excluding just one artist. please, can someone help me out here. thank you.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
Artist does not contain?

It that an option?

I'm not sat at a computer with iTunes on.

EDIT: Thinking about it some more, I'm not sure :eek:

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
Artist <is not> Nameofartist
Kind <is not> QuickTime movie file
Kind <is not> Protected MPEG-4 video file (if you've purchased music videos)
Kind <is not> MPEG-4 video file

Just do a similar "Kind is not" for all the things you don't want in there. You shouldn't have more than a few different ones. And make sure that "Match ALL" is selected.

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
I have a Music Only smart playlist, where I exclude podcasts, tv shows, music videos and movies. I build other playlists off this one. So you could do "if playlist is Music Only and artist is not XXX" for your specific case.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
Any thoughts on excluding an iTunes bought audiobook? :)
If you "Get Info" on the file, you can see what "kind" of file it is, and then exclude that. If it's an Audible book, they have a certain "kind" attached to them. It would, however, be more difficult, I'd imagine, if you ripped the book yourself.

mcvaughan

macrumors 65816
Aug 9, 2007
Houston, TX
If you "Get Info" on the file, you can see what "kind" of file it is, and then exclude that. If it's an Audible book, they have a certain "kind" attached to them. It would, however, be more difficult, I'd imagine, if you ripped the book yourself.

I ended up just excluding the genre (Mystery, in this case) because specifying kind would exclude music as well.

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.