Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boss1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 8, 2007
Is Apple making iPhone so difficult to unlock via software/firmware updates that they might have a difficult time themselves unlocking the device so that it is fully functional after the consumer has fulfilled it's obligation to AT&T via 2 year agreement?

Well I'm no legal eagle so someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I think it would behoove Apple to start creating their own unlocking software for the iPhone set to release on 06-29-2009. We know the AT&T/Apple agreement has a 5 year duration but the AT&T/consumer agreement is a 2 year one.

If I'm not mistaken a service provider is required by US law to remove limitations from using said device under contract for the consumer that would prevent the consumer from using the device without restrictions with a service provider of their choosing after the consumer agreement with AT&T has been fulfilled????

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
Um. What?

As far as legally unlocking the iPhone, I would assume the creators of the firmware that locks it could reverse engineer it without a problem. I HIGHLY doubt a company like Apple is willy-nilly changing things and locking themselves out. I would put a bet down they have that software already, and will release it when legally obliged to do so. It's not a big stretch.

RichP

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2003
Motor City
Considering Apple developed the software for the phone, I am sure they could have itunes unlock the phone at any time with no difficulty. It is their technology, and their encryption methodology.

I am not sure they are ever obligated to unlock it, or will offer such a service. The contract is just like any other phone contract, there is no mandated unlocking at the end of the service.

diabolic

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2007
Austin, Texas
Apple is not obligated to unlock the iPhone, even after a contract has been fulfilled. In the US, the provisions in the DMCA keep Apple from suing you if you unlock it, but they are legally allowed to lock it up as tightly as they want.

paduck

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2007
I've been wondering for awhile what AT&T is going to do re: iPhone unlocking in June 2009 when the original 2-year contracts expire. Granted, as explained above, there is no legal obligation to unlock, but AT&T will unlock all their other phones at the end of the contract (actually before if you are real nice to them). I don't see why they wouldn't do this for iPhones. Especially since the original phones were unsubsidized and they have got their full compensation from fees. The main reason for unlocking is probably international travel use. Followed by movement to other carriers. There is also the desire to sell the old phone so that you can upgrade to a new iPhone - very much in AT&T's interests to encourage this.

With the sale of unsubsidized/unlocked iPhones now, there may be more incentive to unlock for customers who are in good standing.

paduck

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2007
Have other cell phones magically unlocked for you after the contract was over?

No, but when I called AT&T, they gave me the instructions and codes to do it...

I'm not niave, I wouldn't bet that they will, just that as June approaches, whether or not iPhone owners who have fulfilled their AT&T contracts will be given the option.

Cancelled
Aug 25, 2008
ATT has stated before, that the iPhone was a special case and would not be unlocked like other phones.

(Other ATT phones can be unlocked when going overseas, at end of contract, or via codes you buy off the net.)

x2

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
What happens to countries other than the US? Or sold the phone to another country with different laws? Or will only phones bought in certain countries get different privileges?

Beaverfish

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2008
No, but when I called AT&T, they gave me the instructions and codes to do it...

I'm not niave, I wouldn't bet that they will, just that as June approaches, whether or not iPhone owners who have fulfilled their AT&T contracts will be given the option.

Hey buddy fancy sharing these codes and instructions ??

kdarling

macrumors P6
Hey buddy fancy sharing these codes and instructions ??

You do realize that he's talking about other phones, not the iPhone?

Unlock codes are not universal. There's an unlock code for each phone, but it's for that phone alone.

As mentioned already, if you have an account in very good standing, ATT will give you the unlock code if you're going overseas, or after the phone's subsidy is paid off. (Usually very reluctantly, and you have to ask nice.)

Or go on the net and find one of the dozens of third parties that will get the code for you, for a fee.

Knolly

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2007
I'm someone curious about this too only because I BELIEVE that certain countries have laws stating that phones must be unlocked after the contract is up... But Apple is certainly capable of doing it. You can see this easily just by looking at the fact that there are officially unlocked iPhones out and about.

He's full of it.

Nope. With most phones (NOT the iPhone though) you can call AT&T to get an unlock code if you're traveling abroad or whatnot.

paduck

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2007
He's full of it.

Please read the full original exchange. I was not talking about the iPhone. I was talking about other phones that I have had with AT&T - they do not magically unlock themselves, you call AT&T and they give you the code. I have done this several times as have countless others.

The theory was that maybe AT&T would do it for the original iPhone at the 24 month point. They probably would too, but I think Apple probably doesn't let the unlocking information out.

efice32

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2008
Music City USA
When are people going to realize that the first iPhone didn't require a contract on AT&T?

Seriously. It's getting annoying.

AT&T did NOT subsidize the original iPhone, thus there is no subsidy-payoff that ends in June of 09. There was no subsidy to begin with. This issue won't come up until July of '10 when the first 3G contracts end.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Carriers have and will unlock other phones. For instance, people with the G1, after a certain time period (4 months, I think) can call up T Mo and have it unlocked. I'm not sure about AT&T (or Verizon). Sprint has never had a phone worth unlocking.

As for the iPhone, iTunes can easily unlock it - people in New Zealand (I believe) can unlock their iPhones. I've seen the iTunes screenshots right here on MR. And also, there are countries in Europe where the iPhone is already sold unlocked.

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
There is really nothing to see here. Apple can easily unlock the phone when they are required to do so. It is already sold in some countries unlocked. The iPhone is not Skynet. Its not going to take on a life of its own 6.2009... or will it????

grantsdale

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2008
There is really nothing to see here. Apple can easily unlock the phone when they are required to do so. It is already sold in some countries unlocked. The iPhone is not Skynet. Its not going to take on a life of its own 6.2009... or will it????

They aren't required to do ANYTHING. If they were, the first one would be unlocked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.