Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has seeded version 1.1 of ZFS for Mac OS X to Developers this week. The preview updates a previous build released on June 26, 2007.

In the release notes, Apple confirms that the original release of Mac OS X Leopard (10.5) will only offer Read-Only ZFS. As a result, no ZFS pools or filesystems can be modified or created under 10.5.0. This developer's preview enables full read/write capability, including the creation/destruction of ZFS pools and filesystems.

ZFS is described as "a fundamentally new approach to data management. We've blown away 20 years of obsolete assumptions, eliminated complexity at the source, and created a storage system that's actually a pleasure to use."

The initial version of Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard is rumored to be released on October 26th, 2007. It's unclear when Leopard will incorporate full Read/Write ZFS support, but it seems clear that Apple is working on adding this functionality.

Article Link

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
Newsworthy

This is phenomenal! ZFS is here!!! This alone makes Leopard worth the upgrade. Read/Write will be developed down the road - this marks the beginning of ZFS.

bananas

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2007
I hope ZFS read/write support gets added to Leopard when it's ready. Not a moment earlier.

ZFS does sound like a cool filesystem.

RichP

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2003
Motor City
I wouldnt mind Leopard coming out the end of November if we could see ZFS in the initial release. It is going to be a big improvement to data management.

boxlight

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2006
what will ZFS do for me?

Average iMac user here. What does ZFS do that I might notice -- will ZFS matter to me? Serious question.

Retired
May 16, 2006
I wouldnt mind Leopard coming out the end of November if we could see ZFS in the initial release. It is going to be a big improvement to data management.

If we waited for everything cool that shoulda/coulda/woulda been here by now, it will be ages until Leopard. I personally was hoping for a truly resolution independant scaleable OS, while others wanted that faster OS switching shown on the Apple website...

Brendon Bauer

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2007
Good 'ol USofA
It's gonna be one of those "One more thing.... ZFS is implemented and it's bootable".

I don't think we'll be hearing any "One more thing..."s anytime soon. At least none that are significant. Apple seems to have spread it's resources thin at the moment... Just my thought. I could be wrong, and I hope I am! :rolleyes:

sblasl

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2004
Heber Springs, AR
OK, I'll bite.

Just what is it that we will see in OS 10.5 as it relates to ZFS? If this is what is stated, than what do we get?

"In the release notes, Apple confirms that the original release of Mac OS X Leopard (10.5) will only offer Read-Only ZFS. As a result, no ZFS pools or filesystems can be modified or created under 10.5.0. This developer's preview enables full read/write capability, including the creation/destruction of ZFS pools and filesystems."

rented mule

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2006
I seriously doubt that...

My guess is that it's gonna find it's way into a point upgrade just like HFS+ Journaled did. Someone mentioned that the notes say that ZFS requires a GUID volume. Why would it require GUID if it's not bootable?

semireg

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2007
I'm wondering the same thing. What's the difference/big deal? :rolleyes:

I'm all for it if it's "new and cool" :p

ZFS will make time machine faster and more usable by allowing snapshots at the filesystem level. You'll be able to plugin an external drive and zam, a few ZFS commands later and a full clone of your mac is made on the external drive. All of the snapshots in between backups can be time machined to.

Retired
May 16, 2006
My guess is that it's gonna find it's way into a point upgrade just like HFS+ Journaled did. Someone mentioned that the notes say that ZFS requires a GUID volume. Why would it require GUID if it's not bootable?

To create bootable ZFS systems one needs to use scripts or do it manually. The ZFS Boot project recently successfully added boot support to the OpenSolaris project, and is available in recent builds of Solaris Nevada. ZFS boot is currently planned for a Solaris 10 update in late 2007.

Thanks to this from Wikipedia (Solaris 10 is out now so its a bit old) it seems to me that bootable ZFS is in its very early stages...not good enough for Leopard...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.