Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Oct 4, 2007, 05:38 PM   #1
PuterSaurus
macrumors member

Question Replace internal ribbon cable?

I accidentally tore the ribbon cable going to the sleep light on the front of my MBP while changing out the hard drive. The ribbon runs across the hard drive and is very fragile.

Where can I purchase this cable in order to replace it?
PuterSaurus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2007, 05:57 PM   #2
El Cid
macrumors member

Here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuterSaurus View Post
I accidentally tore the ribbon cable going to the sleep light on the front of my MBP while changing out the hard drive. The ribbon runs across the hard drive and is very fragile.

Where can I purchase this cable in order to replace it?
ifixit among other places, it runs 30-50 USD. Ebay is also a possibility.

http://www.ifixit.com/Products/MacBo...z-Cables/80/65

"Anything is possible, the impossible just takes longer."
El Cid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2007, 06:03 PM   #3
iHerzeleid
Banned

I have a spare.. Pm me.
iHerzeleid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2007, 01:29 AM   #4
powderturns
macrumors newbie

torn cable attachment

Hi - I just replaced my hard drive and tore the ribbon cable attachment piece, right where it attaches to the logic board. I used the ifixit guide to perform my HDD replacement, but have since learned it is unnecessary to remove this piece during the process. Anyone else experience that? Think it is repairable? I looked and some of the pins are attached to the cable, and some are still stuck on the logic board. I am bummed.
powderturns is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2007, 09:30 AM   #5
PuterSaurus
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderturns View Post
Hi - I just replaced my hard drive and tore the ribbon cable attachment piece, right where it attaches to the logic board. I used the ifixit guide to perform my HDD replacement, but have since learned it is unnecessary to remove this piece during the process. Anyone else experience that? Think it is repairable? I looked and some of the pins are attached to the cable, and some are still stuck on the logic board. I am bummed.
Did the same thing but had to purchase a new ribbon from iFixit.com.

39.95 + shipping

Cable
PuterSaurus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2007, 06:28 PM   #6
powderturns
macrumors newbie

but ifixit's directions were wrong!!

I am going to have to buy the ribbon cable, but not from ifixit. no one else's directions said to remove the cable from the main board. it was totally unncessary to do so, so I guess I'm a little annoyed with them for that. if I followed anyone else's directions, I wouldn't have removed the attachment - note: no one else said to remove the cable.
thanks for the information regardless.
powderturns is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2009, 04:01 PM   #7
tuppa
macrumors newbie

Quote:
I am going to have to buy the ribbon cable, but not from ifixit. no one else's directions said to remove the cable from the main board. it was totally unncessary to do so, so I guess I'm a little annoyed with them for that. if I followed anyone else's directions, I wouldn't have removed the attachment - note: no one else said to remove the cable.
thanks for the information regardless.
Hey powderturns, can you let us know where you bought the ribbon cable from?
tuppa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2009, 08:27 AM   #8
morrowless
macrumors newbie

same problem

Quote:
Just ran into the same problem on Saturday. I guess I have to hand it to ifixit for finding a way to sell ribbon cables for $40 a crack.

Didn't need to remove this connection or the connection to the keyboard....both woud have been better off remaining attached.
morrowless is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro