Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Oct 5, 2007, 05:10 AM   #1
HelixOmnimedia
macrumors 6502a

PowerBook G4 - Strange Fan Noise - HELP

Hello,

My PowerBook G4 has been slowly dieing over the last couple of month, ever since I told it it was going to get replaced with a MacBook Pro early next year (hopefully around MacWorld).

The Airport signal is slowly decreasing and I'm in the same room as the wireless router, the mouse touch pad in parts is loosing sensitivity, there are randomly hard freezes of the system...ect..ect

But over the last couple of days I have noticed a strange noise coming from the fan (well that's guess), it sounds like its sighing, I know it sound ridiculous but it's the only thing it reminds me off. It comes and goes (the sighing) but it is constant and it's really starting to: 1) Freak me out that my computer could die and day, 2) Annoy me.

Can this be fixed? What could be causing the problem?

I have a sound clip (.amr - also converted to .mov) does anyone know how i can upload it onto here or a link, so people can hear what I'm experiencing.

Thanks for any help.
HelixOmnimedia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2007, 06:00 AM   #2
MagicWok
macrumors 6502a

I had the same kind of problem a while ago.

My powerbook was fine when still, but made a kind of 'mooing'/'sighing' noise when I tilted it.

It got progressively worse till the HD and part of the logic board failed . If you have any Apple Care left, I would personally recommend that you repair it or start to seriously think about getting a MacBook Pro soon. Infact, it's probably better to go ahead and get a MBP, as Powerbooks cost an arm and a leg to repair back then, and now.

I'm not saying that your problem is like mine, but in my experience with Powerbooks, any problems you have will just get progressively worse over time.
MagicWok is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs