Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grale22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2007
Ordered my Touch on 24/09 and it apparently shipped on 29/09. Have just spoken with Apple who now say that it hasn't even reached Europe yet.

How did they ship it? By donkey? :mad:

Markleshark

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2006
Carlisle, Up Norf!
And the slowness of the currier makes them liars?

If you read through a few threads here, you'll see there was a Chinese holiday week last week, meaning the shipping as been delayed. No fault of Apple I'm afraid, it'll be sat in a warehouse somewhere in China.

Lin

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2007
France
How did they ship it? By donkey? :mad:

Possibly... check this forum, some of us expected unusual delays, while their eagerly-awaited IPT was standing still (four hours or days) on some shelf at Arnhem...

So far, eventually, they are delivered :)

grale22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2007
And the slowness of the currier makes them liars?

If you read through a few threads here, you'll see there was a Chinese holiday week last week, meaning the shipping as been delayed. No fault of Apple I'm afraid, it'll be sat in a warehouse somewhere in China.

Oh sorry... my mistake... not liars... just a poor operation. You can't disagree with that. They have a massive launch of a new product, take orders from tonnes of people and then fall down on incredibly slow shipping.... oh and don't put any updates on their tracking to let people know their order has gone nowhere. Was this a secret holiday that Apple didn't know about? I don't blame their shippers as my order is with Apple and I expect them to deliver.

Rookie1986

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2007
Apple have said that mine had shipped on the 3rd but the delivery company hasn’t even picked it up yet

Markleshark

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2006
Carlisle, Up Norf!
Oh sorry... my mistake... not liars... just a poor operation. You can't disagree with that. They have a massive launch of a new product, take orders from tonnes of people and then fall down on incredibly slow shipping.... oh and don't put any updates on their tracking to let people know their order has gone nowhere. Was this a secret holiday that Apple didn't know about? I don't blame their shippers as my order is with Apple and I expect them to deliver.

Of course, I forgot Apple currier their own things.

They make the product, so they do their 'delivering' the actual 'delivering' is done by a 3rd party.

Thats the way it works. How you can blame Apple I will never know.

grale22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2007
Of course, I forgot Apple currier their own things.

They make the product, so they do their 'delivering' the actual 'delivering' is done by a 3rd party.

Thats the way it works. How you can blame Apple I will never know.

Err... you don't think a company should be resonsible for the delivery of their products to their customers? You must work for a shoddy company with no customer service. Apple chose the shipper. Apple negotiate the terms and rates of all their shipments. The shipper answers to Apple and therefore Apple are answerable to their customers.... like me.

Much Ado

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2006
UK
Err... you don't think a company should be resonsible for the delivery of their products to their customers? You must work for a shoddy company with no customer service. Apple chose the shipper. Apple negotiate the terms and rates of all their shipments. The shipper answers to Apple and therefore Apple are answerable to their customers.... like me.

But of course, sir, we'll get Steve Jobs himself to bring you your iPod on a diamond-encrusted platter decorated with exquisite voles.

Antimatter

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2007
just chill a little bit man. It will get there when it gets there. When you finally do get it though, it will be worth every second of waiting.

grale22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2007
But of course, sir, we'll get Steve Jobs himself to bring you your iPod on a diamond-encrusted platter decorated with exquisite voles.

Brilliant.... you've managed to utterly miss my point. I'm excited about getting what looks like an excellent product and just a bit disappointed in my first ever dealings with Apple. I not an important customer, but I know I'm not the only one on this forum wondering where their purchase is. There's numerous threads open about it. Keeping a customer informed of delays etc is just basic customer service. Not mentioning anything about country holidays and shipping delays when taking orders isn't good and in fact, launching a product days before a week's holiday in the country of origin just isn't bright!

Mookie442

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2007
I think there's a lot of people in these forums acting like spoiled children. I want it I want it, I want it. Why hasn't is shipped? I can't wait any longer? You paid your money now sit back and wait like everyone else. Jesus. They were supposed to ship, S-H-I-P on the 28th. That was a week ago. They're coming from China. It doesn' matter when you ordered it's all about when they SHIP. (as typed on my iPT I've had for a week now :D )

Actually 2 weeks. And it's fantastic. :D

grale22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2007
I think there's a lot of people in these forums acting like spoiled children. I want it I want it, I want it. Why hasn't is shipped? I can't wait any longer? You paid your money now sit back and wait like everyone else. Jesus. They were supposed to ship, S-H-I-P on the 28th. That was a week ago. They're coming from China. It doesn' matter when you ordered it's all about when they SHIP. (as typed on my iPT I've had for a week now :D )

I agree... it's about when they ship. Apple said it shipped on the 29th. I spoke to them today and it's still sitting in China somewhere. That's not shipped.

Spoiled children? Maybe you're right... I do "want it, want it, want it". Don't think it's much to expect to be kept updated on where an order is though. Went directly to Apple as thought they'd be the best supplier. Should have bought one from Currys last week.

Much Ado

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2006
UK
I agree... it's about when they ship. Apple said it shipped on the 29th. I spoke to them today and it's still sitting in China somewhere. That's not shipped.

It's been shipped and is now in the hands of the couriers, why don't you get that?

mojohanna

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Cleveland
OK, here is how it works. And I know this because I work for a company that ships about 8k to 10k packages a day with UPS.
1. shipper processes order (in this case Shipper=Apple)
2. Shipper scans package at warehouse.
3. Usually, at some point in time between 7:00pm local time and 12:00am local time, UPS will pull the truck. In our case we have two trucks. The early one for overnight and other air packages and another for regular ground services. I am going to assume that if shipping from China, all are going to be pulled at the same time.
4. At at given point in time after shipper closes the manifest for the night, all of the package information is transmitted to the carrier. This is why you see a scan when you track a package "electronic billing information received" or something similar to that.
5. Package arrives at carriers local hub. Packages begin to be scanned and you may see additional information on the tracking record such as "package scanned at hub, package arrived at hub" etc.
6. Package leaves hub, gets another scan.

If package does not leave hub and a weekend hits, it will not move. If a huge week long communist holiday hits, IT WILL NOT MOVE.

Once the shipper turns the package over to the carrier, the shipper has lost any control over the package. Any reporting on the status of the package that one might receive from the shipper is simply information the shipper has received from the carrier.
Blaming the shipper once the package is shipped is like blaming an airline for a delay that is caused by weather.

As a shipper there are things that can be done to re-route packages etc after they have left your control, however, if the carrier is not working and packages are not being processed, there is not a lot that can be done.

As others have said, chill. The holiday in China is over and come Monday (sunday night here in the states) things will start to return to normal.

And yes, I am positive that Apple was aware of this holiday, but how pissed would you have been if they said that the touch was not shipping until the second week of October when they announced it?

surferfromuk

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2007
I personally think this is why Apple's shares are going ballistic.

Someone talked to the couriers and they went - 'Can you believe it!! Thirty million of them to ship in the next 2 weeks - we just can't do it that quick!"

That can be the only logical reason it's taking so long.

saltyzoo

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2007
Sorry, but I have to side with the thread poster here. Lie? No, that's an overstatement.

But, Apple IS responsible for such slow delivery.

Shipper isn't prompt? Don't use them.

Shipper is in a country that takes week long breaks? Don't manufacture in that country.

Take over two weeks to get a product into a customers hands? Expect an unhappy customer that may put his money elsewhere next time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.