Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bdj21ya

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2006
Why hasn't there been anything in the news forum about this? It was released yesterday for heaven sakes. For some reason, not even Apple's Nike+ page has been updated with the new product.

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
and i want one!!!!!
nike-amp-plus-headline.jpg

http://www.nike.com/index.jhtml?l=n...cid-1/gid-161927/pid-161929&re=US&co=US&la=EN

http://www.nike.com/index.jhtml?sit...d-1/gid-161927/pid-161926,_grid,f-26005+22004

http://www.nike.com/index.jhtml?l=n...cid-1/gid-161927/pid-161929&re=US&co=US&la=EN

nike-amp-plus-headline.jpg

Retired
May 16, 2006
I'm surprised this partnership between the two companies hasn't gone further, especially for something with cycling (maybe they don't want to be seen encouraging cycling with music, but so many people do it...)

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
I'm surprised this partnership between the two companies hasn't gone further, especially for something with cycling (maybe they don't want to be seen encouraging cycling with music, but so many people do it...)

yep i know i should not cycle and ipod at the same time but it does help me go faster and longer :cool:

just make sure i got my helmet on ;)

Retired
May 16, 2006
This watch is so cool, I really want one! And its not too costly either (compared to what I was expecting).

It looks cool in pictures, but I'm thinking maybe it would look odd on someone's arm in real life...not everything is a black background...

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
This watch is so cool, I really want one! And its not too costly either (compared to what I was expecting).

yeah $80 isn't too bad.

yep i know i should not cycle and ipod at the same time but it does help me go faster and longer :cool:

just make sure i got my helmet on ;)

i agree, but i don't see how that would work with the bike and all. it'd be a lot more miles though.

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
yeah $80 isn't too bad.

i agree, but i don't see how that would work with the bike and all. it'd be a lot more miles though.

If they did a Nike+ Speedo with ipod then we are cooking on gas :cool:

"you have cycled 37 miles , current pace 2 min per mile " - bring it :D

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
If they did a Nike+ Speedo with ipod then we are cooking on gas :cool:

"you have cycled 37 miles , current pace 2 min per mile " - bring it :D

i'm not saying it wouldn't cool. i just don't see it happening.

so how does the watch communicate with the ipod? through the sensor we already have?

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
i'm not saying it wouldn't cool. i just don't see it happening.

so how does the watch communicate with the ipod? through the sensor we already have?

from nike+ site

The Nike Amp+ Sport Remote Control is a watch and a remote for the Nike+ experience. Hear instant voice feedback of your time, distance, calories and pace when you add the Nike+ iPod Sport Kit and Nike+ Ready shoes. Wear the watch alone for a stylish, unique timepiece.
Durable polyurethane strap can be cut to your exact preference for a natural, comfortable fit

Stainless steel custom-fit buckle

LED displays time of day and icons for iPod® nano controls when activated by the remote

Instant voice feedback of time, distance, calories and pace

Power song accessed through left-side button for quick motivation

Raised remote buttons for easy grip and precision #
50m water resistance

so i guess it will just work with the ipod adaptor via the nano

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
from nike+ site

The Nike Amp+ Sport Remote Control is a watch and a remote for the Nike+ experience. Hear instant voice feedback of your time, distance, calories and pace when you add the Nike+ iPod Sport Kit and Nike+ Ready shoes. Wear the watch alone for a stylish, unique timepiece.
Durable polyurethane strap can be cut to your exact preference for a natural, comfortable fit

Stainless steel custom-fit buckle

LED displays time of day and icons for iPod® nano controls when activated by the remote

Instant voice feedback of time, distance, calories and pace

Power song accessed through left-side button for quick motivation

Raised remote buttons for easy grip and precision #
50m water resistance

so i guess it will just work with the ipod adaptor via the nano

i guess so.

so when can we buy it?

bdj21ya

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2006
Sorry for not posting more completely with pictures/link, I'm at work, so I try to get in what I can.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
The watch looks...interesting. I think I'd have to see one in person before I pass judgment on it, positively or negatively. I remember reading about this a long time ago- it is good to see that it is finally on the market.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong

oh ok. i guess it just went onsale today? i think i'll wait and see if it's in stores this weekend or next week.

The watch looks...interesting. I think I'd have to see one in person before I pass judgment on it, positively or negatively. I remember reading about this a long time ago- it is good to see that it is finally on the market.

yeah, i want to see one in person. but it seems i could get great use out of it.

Does it tell the time on the LEDs? 'coz that could appear a little weird.

that's what it says. i don't see how though.

bdj21ya

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2006
Does it tell the time on the LEDs? 'coz that could appear a little weird.

I think those little LED's ARE in fact the watch display also. They're going for a modern trendy sort of look. I like it personally, but I think it's open to interpretation.

Jasonbot

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2006
The Rainbow Nation RSA
bdj21ya said:
I think those little LED's ARE in fact the watch display also. They're going for a modern trendy sort of look. I like it personally, but I think it's open to interpretation.

We definitely need more pics. From what I can see the grid seems to be 6x6 with a bigger gap between column 4 and 5. This does not seem sufficient to display the full time.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
We definitely need more pics. From what I can see the grid seems to be 6x6 with a bigger gap between column 4 and 5. This does not seem sufficient to display the full time.

yeah i don't see how the time is on there.

i hope it's in stores soon, so i can go check it out. but it's not even on anyone's websites yet (besides nike)

lasuther

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2004
Grand Haven, Michigan
I'm not sure why I'd want to get one of these things. My nano is on my arm and has easy access. Spending that much money for a remote a few inches away from my nano just doesn't make much sense.

I do want to see this watch in person and see if it does anything else or has some good features to tie in with the Nike+. But if it is just a remote, I could probably pass.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
yeah i don't see how the time is on there.

There's a Japanese company with watches like that -- there is an array of LEDs that tells time in a unique sort of way (that is, they don't look like Arabic or for that matter Chinese numbers, per se, but rather you count them or use codes). They're sort of a hipster fashion accessory (some of them are très cute). But it seems a little too artsy for Nike, so I'd think that maybe that the unlit LEDs aren't easily visible and so you're just seeing some of the LEDs from a complete array (which has enough pixels to show the time).

That also makes sense from the standpoint that it seems awkward to even show all of the play/pause/next/prev/stop/etc icons with just the LEDs you see in the picture!

But I guess we shall see soon! :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.