Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Closed Thread

Old Oct 5, 2007, 08:38 PM   #1
devilot
Moderator emeritus

How to Export/Save SMS Messages (apps)-- No Hacks?

So, what the title says.

I'm searching for a way to store/ save/ backup SMS messages seeing as the lovely iPhone w/ its massive 8GB of storage, is incapable of allocating more memory for texts.

A friend found MobileSync which pretty much does what I'm looking for. But there's no real full version. I'd pay for one, but alas, it's only in a "preview" version (as the developer calls it).

I also am NOT interested in anything that requires any sort of fiddling w/ the phone (as in hacks or whatnot).

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 5, 2007, 08:43 PM   #2
siurpeeman
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to siurpeeman
i did a thorough google search, and it looks like that mobilesync app is your best bet. you could, however, transcribe to ms word all your 1,000 texts.
Old Oct 5, 2007, 11:16 PM   #3
badtzmaru
macrumors 6502

do you have a mac? Theres as perl script you can run to catalog your SMSes
badtzmaru is offline   0
Old Oct 6, 2007, 01:11 AM   #4
devilot
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by badtzmaru View Post
do you have a mac?
Yes.

Quote:
Theres as perl script you can run to catalog your SMSes
Total low-tech n00b. Can you elaborate w/ dumbed down steps?
Old Jan 4, 2008, 02:18 AM   #5
horation
macrumors member

possible solutions

So long as you have a mac, try google Syphone. I've read it works, but have a pc, so have not tried it. on a pc, a solution is supposedly found at:

http://www.modmyifone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4618

but I am having trouble finding my sms.db file
horation is offline   0
Old Jan 4, 2008, 09:58 AM   #6
brando88
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilot View Post
So, what the title says.

I'm searching for a way to store/ save/ backup SMS messages seeing as the lovely iPhone w/ its massive 8GB of storage, is incapable of allocating more memory for texts.

A friend found MobileSync which pretty much does what I'm looking for. But there's no real full version. I'd pay for one, but alas, it's only in a "preview" version (as the developer calls it).

I also am NOT interested in anything that requires any sort of fiddling w/ the phone (as in hacks or whatnot).

Thanks in advance.
You can use The Missing Sync for iPhone, but you'll have to pony up a nice $39.95 or something like that.
brando88 is offline   1
Old Jan 4, 2008, 11:14 AM   #7
devilot
Moderator emeritus

Thanks, but as you'll kindly note, this was posted in early October. Just about 3 months ago. I have since started using...
Quote:
Originally Posted by horation View Post
So long as you have a mac, try google Syphone.
The link in case anyone else is trying to find it is here.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 11:39 AM   #8
brando88
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Thanks, but as you'll kindly note, this was posted in early October. Just about 3 months ago. I have since started using... The link in case anyone else is trying to find it is here.
I'm sorry, I didn't even notice, just saw it bolded in the recent threads section lol.
brando88 is offline   0
Old Jan 4, 2008, 11:48 AM   #9
porg1969
macrumors newbie

Quote:
So, what the title says.

Thanks in advance.
Wow cool app man, just what i've been looking for!
porg1969 is offline   1
Old Jan 7, 2008, 11:48 AM   #10
mpuck972
Banned

Copy/Paste into text program on phone.....
Forward to email...

Oh wait, for a second there I was thinking you were talking about a Treo. Um, looks like you may have to wait for 16.7.9 firmware to do what every other smart phone can do today!
mpuck972 is offline   0
Old Oct 6, 2010, 05:54 AM   #11
MacKeeper-fan
macrumors member

You can use this method
http://www.geekology.co.za/blog/2009...e-to-csv-file/
Old Jun 2, 2011, 08:50 AM   #12
jpetticrew
macrumors 6502a

PhoneView for Mac.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 07:48 AM   #13
stevemr123
macrumors member

If you don't want to pay for any external tool and don't want to use unsafe hosted solutions, try this:

1. download the free SQLite Database Browser from here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/sqlitebrowser/
2. locate your SMS database from the iphone backup (works only if the backup is not encrypted). You can find the backups of your iOS devices is at the ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/ folder. Each subfolder corresponds to an iOS device backup. The file you need has this (rather strange) name:
3d0d7e5fb2ce288813306e4d4636395e047a3d28
3. Simply open the file in the SQLLite Database Browser
4. Clik "Browse Data" and select the "message" table. There you find all your messages.

If you want to export the data, select File/Export/Export as CSV. You can open your CSV file in Excel.
stevemr123 is offline   0
Old Jul 6, 2011, 04:39 PM   #14
steven5210
macrumors member

But what if you wanted to restore them back to the iPhone after a fresh restore not from backup?
steven5210 is offline   0

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks