Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
May 1, 2005
So, what the title says.

I'm searching for a way to store/ save/ backup SMS messages seeing as the lovely iPhone w/ its massive 8GB of storage, is incapable of allocating more memory for texts.

A friend found MobileSync which pretty much does what I'm looking for. But there's no real full version. I'd pay for one, but alas, it's only in a "preview" version (as the developer calls it).

I also am NOT interested in anything that requires any sort of fiddling w/ the phone (as in hacks or whatnot).

Thanks in advance. :)

brando88

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2007
So, what the title says.

I'm searching for a way to store/ save/ backup SMS messages seeing as the lovely iPhone w/ its massive 8GB of storage, is incapable of allocating more memory for texts.

A friend found MobileSync which pretty much does what I'm looking for. But there's no real full version. I'd pay for one, but alas, it's only in a "preview" version (as the developer calls it).

I also am NOT interested in anything that requires any sort of fiddling w/ the phone (as in hacks or whatnot).

You can use The Missing Sync for iPhone, but you'll have to pony up a nice $39.95 or something like that.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
May 1, 2005
Thanks, but as you'll kindly note, this was posted in early October. Just about 3 months ago. I have since started using...
So long as you have a mac, try google Syphone.
The link in case anyone else is trying to find it is here.

brando88

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2007
Thanks, but as you'll kindly note, this was posted in early October. Just about 3 months ago. I have since started using... The link in case anyone else is trying to find it is here.

I'm sorry, I didn't even notice, just saw it bolded in the recent threads section lol.

porg1969

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2007
San Francisco
So, what the title says.

Wow cool app man, just what i've been looking for!

mpuck972

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2007
Copy/Paste into text program on phone.....
Forward to email...

Oh wait, for a second there I was thinking you were talking about a Treo. Um, looks like you may have to wait for 16.7.9 firmware to do what every other smart phone can do today!

stevemr123

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2010
If you don't want to pay for any external tool and don't want to use unsafe hosted solutions, try this:

1. download the free SQLite Database Browser from here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/sqlitebrowser/
2. locate your SMS database from the iphone backup (works only if the backup is not encrypted). You can find the backups of your iOS devices is at the ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/ folder. Each subfolder corresponds to an iOS device backup. The file you need has this (rather strange) name:
3d0d7e5fb2ce288813306e4d4636395e047a3d28
3. Simply open the file in the SQLLite Database Browser
4. Clik "Browse Data" and select the "message" table. There you find all your messages.

If you want to export the data, select File/Export/Export as CSV. You can open your CSV file in Excel.

steven5210

macrumors member
May 20, 2011
But what if you wanted to restore them back to the iPhone after a fresh restore not from backup?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.