Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

akbrjg777

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2007
I have a WesternDigital External Hard Drive 500 that I bought for my XP PC when it's memory was full as a storage device. I have a ton of videos and music that quickly filled my pc. I saved most of my video files to the WD from my PC. After that I bought a MacBook (almost most basic model-2nd level pricewise). I wanted to move my videos to the MAC. I attached the WD 500gb drive and while it took a while I was able to transfer all of my videos from the hard drive to the Mac. I shouldn't have done that though. Now my Macbook is full. I tried to save files from my mac to the hard drive but because i set it up for use with the pc, it is a "read only" device according to the mac.
I want to save my purchased i-tunes tv show series directly to my external hard drive but the only way to put data on the HD is to transfer to pc first then i can move to HD.

Is there a way to create a mac partition on the WD hard drive without losing all of the data currently stored there?

I'm scared to try. I know I need to format through the PC as MAC doesn't seem to offer this but I can't afford to lose the data currently there.

Alternatively, I;ve been trying to create a network between my mac and pc but i can't figure it out!!!

If I could do that, problem solved. I'd leave the WD Hard drive attached to my PC and save data through the network to the WD-HD. I am connected to the net on both the PC and MAC via netgear wireless modem(comcast cable internet)

I know how to create a network between 2 PC's directly connected to a router. I've tried everything I can think of but I think becasue its wireless connection-i'm limited?

Is this why people buy the airport station?

Is it worth the $ and will that solve my problem? Can I also use the printer attached to my PC through my wireless network from the macbook if/and only if I have the airport station?

I was under the impression I could configure network without this.

Does any of this make sense?

I'm great at PC's but this is my 1st MAC.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

THANX!!!!

Anna

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
Welcome to the forums.

Your external drive is probably formatted as NTFS, which your Mac can read from, but can't write to. I'm not sure if you can set partitions of different types (I suspect not), but to use the drive with both it will have to be formatted as FAT32. There is also software available to allow the Mac to write to NTFS, and, conversely, software which would allow the PC to read a drive formatted as Mac OS Extended (the preferred Mac drive format).

However, you should be able to get the Mac and PC networked, which will let you keep the drive as it is. Try this guide to sort things out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.