Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

colonelcack

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2007
For some reason, my iPod touch isn't charging all the time when its plugged into my hp pc...it has usb 2.0, and is pretty new so I don't know what the problem is. My iPod touch was plugged in for an hour in standby mode and when I looked at it it had exactly the same battery life...I got worried and restored it, and in the process of restoring it it went back up to over half...then I think if I restore it again, itll go up higher? Nope, dropped back down to around a quarter. So I brought it over to a friends and it charged just fine on his pc. I guess my pc's usb ports arent powerful enough to give it a reliable steady charge? Has anyone else had this problem? Anyone know of any external chargers/usb hubs (whatevers cheaper) that you have personally confirmed to work 100% with the touch? :confused:

Boika

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2007
For some reason, my iPod touch isn't charging all the time when its plugged into my hp pc...it has usb 2.0, and is pretty new so I don't know what the problem is. My iPod touch was plugged in for an hour in standby mode and when I looked at it it had exactly the same battery life...I got worried and restored it, and in the process of restoring it it went back up to over half...then I think if I restore it again, itll go up higher? Nope, dropped back down to around a quarter. So I brought it over to a friends and it charged just fine on his pc. I guess my pc's usb ports arent powerful enough to give it a reliable steady charge? Has anyone else had this problem? Anyone know of any external chargers/usb hubs (whatevers cheaper) that you have personally confirmed to work 100% with the touch? :confused:

Well if your interested in having a speaker for your touch aswell, i use my ihome to charge my touch. Its allot more convenient than using a computer as its right next to ur bed and before u go to sleep u just pop it into the dock on top and it will charge as u sleep. =]

colonelcack

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2007
Yeah, I know computers stop powering the USB ports when the pc is in standby mode...but it wasn't, I was using it the whole time. Not really interested in a speaker system as I already have a nice home theater I connect it to...just looking for a cheap charger, I've seen wall adapters for 5G iPods, do they work with the Touch?

Cameront9

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2006
Yeah, I know computers stop powering the USB ports when the pc is in standby mode...but it wasn't, I was using it the whole time. Not really interested in a speaker system as I already have a nice home theater I connect it to...just looking for a cheap charger, I've seen wall adapters for 5G iPods, do they work with the Touch?

Yes, Wall adaptors for 5G work with the touch. Heck, my old Firewire adaptor works, too.

Also, it sounds like your USB port is not providing Power all the time. Does it charge from that port when it's syncing? I'm guessing it only provides power when it's in use.

colonelcack

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2007
Yes, Wall adaptors for 5G work with the touch. Heck, my old Firewire adaptor works, too.

Also, it sounds like your USB port is not providing Power all the time. Does it charge from that port when it's syncing? I'm guessing it only provides power when it's in use.

This is what I thought too...but this was shot down when I restored it and copied all my music back onto it...it didn't go up at all, it seems totally random. Anyone know any specific brand/model wallcharger that has a good length cord? (I want to be able to use it while its charging)

charlestrippy

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2006
Tampa, Florida
my ipod touch wont charge when i plug it in my macbook pro - but if i keep it plugged in and log out of my computer and log back in - it works...

are you able to charge your ipod touch via a wall charger? because mine wont charge on a wall charger ... weird huh

DenniZ

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Liverpool, UK
check if you have installed itunes and the 'ipodservice.exe' or 'ipodhelper.exe ... something like that ... it has ipod in its process name... and check if the process is running otherwise there is no process that helps charge the ipod.

colonelcack

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2007
check if you have installed itunes and the 'ipodservice.exe' or 'ipodhelper.exe ... something like that ... it has ipod in its process name... and check if the process is running otherwise there is no process that helps charge the ipod.

Oh damn, that explains it! When i boot up i see the helper service have an illegal operation...is there any way to manually restart the service?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.