Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

i make movies

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 9, 2007
Hi y'all,

I own a iBook g4 and I'm selling it to upgrade to the new iMac. I never thought about my battery before, but I think it's losing it's charge. Granted, my laptop is 2, if not 3 years old so this is to be expected, but the battery only lasts a little over an hour on a full charge (I haven't actually timed it, I'm just basing this off the time my Battery Indicator tells me).

Would it help my battery if I drained it to about 3% or so and recharged it back to 100%? What if I did that a few times? My laptop rarely leaves my desk, so it stays plugged in almost all the time. Would that have something to do with the battery health?

I also saw some program called Coconut Battery. Is there another program out that similar to Coconut Battery? I don't have 10.4.5 so I can't run it, but would really like to know some stats of my battery. (I have 10.3.9).

Thanks for the help.

i make movies

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 9, 2007
It should tell you the health of the battery in system profiler. About this mac>more info>Power

I don't have 'Power' under my system profiler. The only thing I got is the Energy Saver utility, which only allows me to set display shut-off and sleep times. No battery health info.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I don't have 'Power' under my system profiler. The only thing I got is the Energy Saver utility, which only allows me to set display shut-off and sleep times. No battery health info.
/Applications/Utilities/System Profiler

Or Apple -> About this Mac -> More Info

Not System Preferences

i make movies

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 9, 2007
/Applications/Utilities/System Profiler

Or Apple -> About this Mac -> More Info

Not System Preferences

I should have been more specific. Under About this Mac, I do not have 'Power' in the system profiler. Under Hardware, this only items listed are Memory, PCI/AGP Cards, ATA, SCSI, USB, Firewire, Airport Cards, and Modem...in that order. Then Software, Network, and Logs. No Power.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.