Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

al7zn22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2006
I want to buy a MacBook PRO 15".
and It's comes with the regular RAM. 2 GB.
and I want to upgraded to 4.

and I have to add 630$ for this upgrade to be done with the apple store.
do u think if I can buy the RAM from the website will be better.?
and I have a website that sell RAM or MacBook Pro.
and there is many companies which company is the best??

OWC 2 GB for 97.5$
MICRON 2 GB for 112 $
SAMSUNG 2 GB for 148 $
TechWorks 2 GB for 99$

Please let me know :)

and this is the website:
http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/MacBook/Pro/Core2/

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
I've always used Crucial memory in my Macs ... never had a problem.

MacGiver

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2007
France
Corsair looks like a good website but what brand to choose then, there are so many...
When using the configurator they sell 2GB for 79$ when on Apple.com they sell it 500$ !!!
Where is the trick here why the hell this difference? is the 79$ crap or Apple taking us for stupid jerks...

Finally whatever i will get is that easy to install myself or do i need assistance from a Genius?
Thanks for your answers,
X

bobcan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
Sunny but Cold.. Canada
Just got 4GB...

Just got 4GB for my 2.4 SR from OWC... seems to be fine and cost me $210.00 USD (I'm in Canada) and about $23.00 to deliver... IT's now down to $187.50... :rolleyes:

MacGiver

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2007
France
Corsair looks like a good website but what brand to choose then, there are so many...
When using the configurator they sell 2GB for 79$ when on Apple.com they sell it 500$ !!!
Where is the trick here why the hell this difference? is the 79$ crap or Apple taking us for stupid jerks...

Finally whatever i will get is that easy to install myself or do i need assistance from a Genius?
Thanks for your answers,
X

Sorry i forgot the attachement...So WTF here? Sorry for being rude...but i am French...

Attachments

• Image 2.png
    Image 2.png
    639.8 KB · Views: 213

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
Sure thing. Pull the battery, and then remove the three screws holding down the RAM door. Remove the old, put in the new.

hexagon

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2007
Kingston is another brand to consider. No probs with it installed in my Macbook.

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
Sorry i forgot the attachement...So WTF here? Sorry for being rude...but i am French...

you're comparing one 2Gb stick with a 2Gb Kit (two 1Gb sticks).

the MBPs support two slots, so you're best to go for a 1x2Gb (total 2Gb) or a 2x2Gb (total 4Gb).

hush

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2006
Madrid, Spain
I have a question,

I just realized that the basic ram set included in SR MBP is 1 gb x 2 modules... that sucks! so if you want to upgrade to 4 gb, you have to purchase 2 gb x 2 modules and put the original ram right in the bin??

I think that Apple shouldn't be so interested on cleaning our pockets with this kind of strategies (just tending to avoid people acquiring extra ram outside Applestores)

Cheers,

jamesarm97

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
Ok, here is a question I have. I have a C2D Macbook pro 2.33ghz with 2gig memory. I know I can only go to 3gigs but don't know if I need to buy two 2gig sticks and waste the 1gig or one 2gig stick added to one of my 1gigs. I heard they should be paired so they will run in dual channel mode, but if it only sees a full 2gig on one stick and 1gig on the other does it matter if they are not both 2gig? Or is it going to use exactly 1.5gig from the first stick and 1.5gig from the second for a total of 3gig? I don't know if I am making any sense or not.

- James

DarkHeraldMage

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
I'm planning on ordering my 17" MBP as soon as Leopard becomes available, but shortly before that I plan on ordering a 4 GB set of OWC RAM from here. I know people in this forum tend to swear by Crucial, but I've only seen a few good comments on OWC. Anyone think this is a good idea to proceed with? My plan is to completely replace the 2 GB standard RAM with this before I even turn on my MBP for the first time. I'm all about the speed... :D

EspressoLove

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
Bay Area
Got OCZ 4Gb 5400 kit from Frys for 149$
Run memtest Ok, happy so far.

As for Apple's memory/upgrade screw it, it's a ripoff, as well as bunch of Mac sites selling "Apple compatible" stuff for clueless dummies.

iTouch

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2007
I think people tend to forget that most companies don't make the RAM chips. I would focus more on the warranty/customer service. And I also bought the OCZ 4GB kit but haven't installed it yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.