Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrsollars

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2006
i'm looking for a sniper game (think halo from one tower to the other...but that's all you do....you are a sniper.....move to location.....snipe.)
anything for mac??

also..

a simulation game....not WoW... i'm thinking like building a city....make adjustments, watch how it works...etc. (for mac)
i'm not into the medieval crap or the super future junk either. 'Sims' is corny to me as well.

i'm thinking i may have too high of hopes for this, but i figure you guys are the brain at this stuff, it's worth a shot asking you all.

thanks
matt

mrsollars

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2006
i keep seeing this 'marathon' game. why does the intel screw me?
does it matter if i have windows running on the same machine?

keep the info coming on this....it's been driving me nuts to find games that match these descriptions.

ps. i mentioned that i didn't care for the 'Sims' games.....is this unlike the ones i've seen or what....why did it get the nod from you?!?

thanks again
matt

triddent222

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2007
Somewhere interesting
Having an Intel screws you because Intel-based Macs don't support Classic (emulation environment for pre-OS X stuff).

As of Sims, Well Sim City shares the name with The Sims, but there really isn't much relationship between the two. In Sim City, as the name implies, you build a city (or even a country, i think...) NOT a family. It's much broader than The Sims in the sense that it let's you micromanage most of the stuff going on in the actual city. You should try it out, it's pretty fun.

I sense anger in your writing, young one

redraidermacman

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2007
i'm looking for a sniper game (think halo from one tower to the other...but that's all you do....you are a sniper.....move to location.....snipe.)
anything for mac??

also..

a simulation game....not WoW... i'm thinking like building a city....make adjustments, watch how it works...etc. (for mac)
i'm not into the medieval crap or the super future junk either. 'Sims' is corny to me as well.

i'm thinking i may have too high of hopes for this, but i figure you guys are the brain at this stuff, it's worth a shot asking you all.

thanks
matt

you might try rtcw, i played it a lot when it was new and it works really well for mac and i remember there being some good sniping stuff in it....

Sp3shl K

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2007
marathon

i thought bungie came out with an emulator that allowed intels to run marathon. i think it's called aleph one or something?

TJIrwin

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2006
London, UK
BF2142 (if you can get it to work properly) has a nice sniper class. If you wanted to you could play a sniper till the cows come home on pretty much any map they have.

Probably more immersive than any other game out there at the moment if the sniper thing is what you're after.

mrsollars

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2006
initially....castle wolfenstein sounds a bit dodgy....but i'll look into it.

bf2142....what do you mean -get it to work properly? is this going to require a bunch of finagling to get it to work? i'm looking for an open game...play game kind of experience here.

i'll check out sim city.
are they a lot of 'sim city' games.. is there a best one???
ie: COD vs. COD2 vs. COD3, etc. is there a best one.

thanks guys....keep them coming.

shu82

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2007
Rocket City, AL
As for Sim City, the original is way too limited. I started playing that on a mac classic. 2000 was the first great one. I still play it today. Its considered abandonware by most and is freely downloaded (It won't work on an intel though) 3000 added cooler stuff.

I would definitely look into sheepshaver. I haven't bought a game for the mac in over 5 years. That seems to be the last time there was any interest in developing for the mac......until now.

mrsollars

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2006
so do any of the sim city games work on my intel mac??

any recommendations on games that DO WORK on my mac as is. (2.16, 3g ram, the lower of the two graphics cards available on the white imac. '2300' keeps coming to mind. )

thanks

matt

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
Aleph One is the Intel Marathon editor. Google it. I just wasn't a huge fan of the game *ducks for cover*

What was that Codemasters game a few years ago on the PC... cold war type game, open landscape, quite "real"... that had quite the sniper class. Operation Flashpoint, that's it. You could always Bootcamp it.

mrsollars

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2006
that's what i'm talking about...open landscape....sniper feel.
i don't even care if it's sniping a bear or a goat hunting game....actually that's not a bad idea.....any good long distance hunting games for mac.

i don't like 'duck and cover' games either....what was the old arcade game where you stomped the pedal and popped up to shoot people.

hunting, open landscape, and i'm going to look into a city building game of some sort....

you guys are good....keep them coming!!!

matt

ASneeze

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2007
Cork, Ireland
Well Sniper Elite might be perfect for u, i dont know if its on computer or not but having played it on ps2 it is a brilliant game.
Sniper only counter strike any1??

andy721

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2007
FL
Sof2

Soldier of Fortune 2 is good but it's a old game and everyone like to mod it out which takes forever to download on most servers.

spyker3292

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2005
Michigan
BF2142 (if you can get it to work properly) has a nice sniper class. If you wanted to you could play a sniper till the cows come home on pretty much any map they have.

Probably more immersive than any other game out there at the moment if the sniper thing is what you're after.

I got BF2142 to work... I just fooled around after calling them and listening to them talk about how to install it and click on the BF2142 icon.... and then it just worked and hasn't stopped :). It's pretty good I just want widescreen. And there is a marathon osx that works on intel.

redsteven

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2006
i thought bungie came out with an emulator that allowed intels to run marathon. i think it's called aleph one or something?

in response to this and all the other replies about aleph one

I don't think aleph one is an emulator
aleph one is not an "intel editor"

Go here: http://source.bungie.org/get/

Any personal computer made in the past 10 years should be able to run aleph one. If the computer can run the Mac OS (pretty sure even pre-os x would work here), windows, or linux, it can play marathon 1, 2, and 3.

I played through the entire trilogy several months ago on my intel iMac.

You download Aleph One for OS X. Then just download the scenarios (Marathon, Durandel, and Infinity, the names of the 3 marathon games).

You put the aleph one application in the marathon game folders... and aleph one will read the code that was originally written for the mac os (in the olden days)

You can also download the enhancements from that site, like updated textures. The game won't look good by todays standards, but it will look better than if you didn't have the updated textures.

redsteven

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2006
and you can try bf 2142. The recon class is great for SNIPING. You only have 2x zoom on the sniper rifle until you get the scope unlock though (for 4x zoom)... but that's only like the second unlock in one of the recon trees... meaning you can get it within an hour of playing or so.

BF 2142 is a great game. I think it's a lot of fun. The QUALITY of the PROGRAM though (the os x version) is horrendous. Crashes are intermittent... sometimes you'll get unlucky and spend 10 minutes just trying to load a map without crashing...
Lately though I can usually play for hours without a crash.
I can't figure out what causes the crashes, and their tech support blows (even more than your typical tech support)

Since you have an intel mac (2142 only runs on intel macs anyway), you can download the demo and run it in bootcamp (no mac demo available).

If you like the demo, then you have to make a choice. You have 2 options
A) purchase the windows version and run it in bootcamp... meaning you have to restart if you want to use the mac OS.
or
B) purchase the os x version and deal with the instability of the program. If you get past that, then you get to realize that they did not port over the $10 expansion pack to mac (and have no announced plans to do so... real smart, port over a game but not the expansion pack).

Lack of the expansion pack is not AS bad as it sounds though, because the unlocks in the expansion pack can still be accessed in the normal game through "field unlocks" (temporary unlocks you get if your squad does well.... or at least if it doesn't suck horribly). You still can't use the new maps or the new "assault lines" game mode though.

Oh yeah, and I almost forgot. Regardless of the specs on your iMac... plan on turning down most of the graphics options if you get the mac version.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Too bad you have an intel. I was going to say Marathon and Sim City 2000:D

There is an OSX unofficial port of Marathon, just google: marathon osx

You'll find Marathon: Aleph One

Edit: I guess a number of people already wrote about Aleph One

Ernis*Lovas

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2007
Lithuania
Hi guys :) I just registered in to this forum, and i have few questions about counter-strike for my Mac 24" :) meybe someone can invite me in skype (maxas_veza) and someone tell me where i can download that counter-strike special for mac? because i wright this from my old PC and meybe someone could help me to run cs on my Mac :) thank you!

DannyBlaze

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2011
you should try a game called sniper elite its good and ul enjoy it i think the gameplay looks good

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.