Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 2, 2013, 08:03 PM   #1
thomasman87
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Syncing AppleTV and Computer with different Apple IDs

Is there a way to sync a computer to an Apple TV to get the content without having the same apple Id or iTunes account?

Sorry I'm sure this has been answered but I cannot find the information anywhere.

Last edited by robbieduncan; Jan 3, 2013 at 04:40 AM.
thomasman87 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 08:13 PM   #2
d21mike
macrumors 68000
 
d21mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Torrance, CA
Except for the original ATV you do not SYNC but STREAM. The ATV does not have any local storage. But you can stream from a local iTunes Server with Home Sharing. You only need the Apple ID if you want to stream from the Cloud (iTunes in the Cloud).
__________________
Mike
d21mike is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 01:44 AM   #3
pacmania1982
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Birmingham, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by d21mike View Post
Except for the original ATV you do not SYNC but STREAM. The ATV does not have any local storage. But you can stream from a local iTunes Server with Home Sharing. You only need the Apple ID if you want to stream from the Cloud (iTunes in the Cloud).
Technically the bit about not having any local storage is not true. The Apple TV 2 and 3 have 8GB of onboard flash memory. But you're right with the rest of what you say

sorry to split hairs!

pac
__________________
13" 2.26GHz 2009 MacBook Pro | 32GB VZW iPad 3 | 16GB iPhone 4s
pacmania1982 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:47 AM   #4
d21mike
macrumors 68000
 
d21mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Torrance, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacmania1982 View Post
Technically the bit about not having any local storage is not true. The Apple TV 2 and 3 have 8GB of onboard flash memory. But you're right with the rest of what you say

sorry to split hairs!

pac
I agree. To bad it can not be used like the 8,16,32,64GB storage in the other iOS Devices.

I would like to see an ATV with 64GB and an App Store.
__________________
Mike
d21mike is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:16 AM   #5
Panch0
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Northern Virginia, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasman87 View Post
Is there a way to sync a computer to an Apple TV to get the content without having the same apple Id or iTunes account?

Sorry I'm sure this has been answered but I cannot find the information anywhere.
If you want to be able to use iTunes Match for Music, or stream purchased iTunes TV & Movies direct from the cloud, then you have to use the Apple ID that you purchased them under. Also, for movie rentals, you need an Apple ID with a credit card (or gift card balance) connected.

If you only want to stream iTunes content that is already purchased and downloaded to iTunes on your computer, you can do this with Home Sharing. You have to set up Home Sharing with the same Apple ID on both the ATv and iTunes on the computer, but it DOES NOT have to be the same AppleID you use for purchases.

Personally, I want to use the same AppleID for Purchases, because I use both the ATV interface and the iTunes interface to buy things, and I want them all to be under the same account. However, if you prefer, you could set up different iTunes Store accounts in iTunes and ATv, but still use a common Home Sharing account. This would let you buy/rent from either device using seperate accounts, but still share the iTunes content to aTV. You would not be able to get content you purchased through ATV back to iTunes though.
Panch0 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:16 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC