Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Jan 2, 2013, 08:03 PM   #1
thomasman87
macrumors member

Syncing AppleTV and Computer with different Apple IDs

Is there a way to sync a computer to an Apple TV to get the content without having the same apple Id or iTunes account?

Sorry I'm sure this has been answered but I cannot find the information anywhere.

Last edited by robbieduncan; Jan 3, 2013 at 04:40 AM.
thomasman87 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 08:13 PM   #2
d21mike
macrumors 68000

Except for the original ATV you do not SYNC but STREAM. The ATV does not have any local storage. But you can stream from a local iTunes Server with Home Sharing. You only need the Apple ID if you want to stream from the Cloud (iTunes in the Cloud).
Old Jan 3, 2013, 01:44 AM   #3
pacmania1982
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by d21mike View Post
Except for the original ATV you do not SYNC but STREAM. The ATV does not have any local storage. But you can stream from a local iTunes Server with Home Sharing. You only need the Apple ID if you want to stream from the Cloud (iTunes in the Cloud).
Technically the bit about not having any local storage is not true. The Apple TV 2 and 3 have 8GB of onboard flash memory. But you're right with the rest of what you say

sorry to split hairs!

pac
Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:47 AM   #4
d21mike
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacmania1982 View Post
Technically the bit about not having any local storage is not true. The Apple TV 2 and 3 have 8GB of onboard flash memory. But you're right with the rest of what you say

sorry to split hairs!

pac
I agree. To bad it can not be used like the 8,16,32,64GB storage in the other iOS Devices.

I would like to see an ATV with 64GB and an App Store.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:16 AM   #5
Panch0
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasman87 View Post
Is there a way to sync a computer to an Apple TV to get the content without having the same apple Id or iTunes account?

Sorry I'm sure this has been answered but I cannot find the information anywhere.
If you want to be able to use iTunes Match for Music, or stream purchased iTunes TV & Movies direct from the cloud, then you have to use the Apple ID that you purchased them under. Also, for movie rentals, you need an Apple ID with a credit card (or gift card balance) connected.

If you only want to stream iTunes content that is already purchased and downloaded to iTunes on your computer, you can do this with Home Sharing. You have to set up Home Sharing with the same Apple ID on both the ATv and iTunes on the computer, but it DOES NOT have to be the same AppleID you use for purchases.

Personally, I want to use the same AppleID for Purchases, because I use both the ATV interface and the iTunes interface to buy things, and I want them all to be under the same account. However, if you prefer, you could set up different iTunes Store accounts in iTunes and ATv, but still use a common Home Sharing account. This would let you buy/rent from either device using seperate accounts, but still share the iTunes content to aTV. You would not be able to get content you purchased through ATV back to iTunes though.
Panch0 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater