Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Peel

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 30, 2004
Seattle
I am moving to London from the States in mid-2008, and an wondering what my options might be for my iPhone. I'll have had it just over a year (of my 2-year contract) when I leave. Has anyone heard anything from AT&T or O2 about moving from one country to another and keeping your same iPhone?

I realize that I may have to buy out my AT&T contract (not sure if there's a provision in there for getting out of that if you move outside of the service area). But my bigger question is, can I sign up for an O2 contract with my current phone? Or will I need to get an entirely new phone for use on their network?

polishmacuser

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2007
Los Angeles
i dont know what to say but im gonna say no since america sucks and all but you could unlock your iphone if you dont have 1.1.1 and just go over to O2 and get a free phone or whatever and stick it in the iphone and you will be fine but still who wants to do that you will probably want it the legit way if something just call at&t and ask :D

shrewsburywolf

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2007
I don't think that you will have to buy out your at&t contract if you are legitimately leaving the country and can provide proof of that.

You will probably find that you will be unable to use the phone in the UK by just sticking an O2 sim card in. Your best bet would probably be to unlock if you can.

snook911

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2007
Yorba Linda, CA
I am moving to London from the States in mid-2008, and an wondering what my options might be for my iPhone. I'll have had it just over a year (of my 2-year contract) when I leave. Has anyone heard anything from AT&T or O2 about moving from one country to another and keeping your same iPhone?

I realize that I may have to buy out my AT&T contract (not sure if there's a provision in there for getting out of that if you move outside of the service area). But my bigger question is, can I sign up for an O2 contract with my current phone? Or will I need to get an entirely new phone for use on their network?

I know that AT&T and other carriers will let you out of your contract if you can prove thier is no service where you are so you should'nt have to buy out your contract. As far as the other I am not sure. I would wait until it was realeased in london and then call O2 over thier and ask. Good Luck.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Same iPhone. You need to take it back to its out of box state, put an O2 SIM in it, change your residence in iTunes to the UK, then connect it to iTunes. The UK store should take you to O2 for activation...

Peel

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 30, 2004
Seattle
Same iPhone. You need to take it back to its out of box state, put an O2 SIM in it, change your residence in iTunes to the UK, then connect it to iTunes. The UK store should take you to O2 for activation...

That makes sense. I wasn't sure if it was the unregistered phone or the sim that caused iTunes to go into activation mode. But if it's the sim, then I can see this working

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.