Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Oct 9, 2007, 10:06 PM   #1
irishgrizzly
macrumors 65816

Are saunas safe with asthma?

I've heard they're not, is this true? (I'm talking about "wet" saunas).
irishgrizzly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2007, 10:09 PM   #2
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

I'm no doctor and you really should consult one before you leap into one, but I was told for my case to avoid it. I have been in one twice and once I felt fine, another I felt suffocated. The extra added moisture caused my airways to basically seize and caused a brutal asthma attack. Depending upon your asthma both dry and wet heat can cause problems, however, I haven't any issue with really hot showers. I would simply consult a doctor first.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2007, 10:13 PM   #3
irishgrizzly
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
I'm no doctor and you really should consult one before you leap into one, but I was told for my case to avoid it. I have been in one twice and once I felt fine, another I felt suffocated. The extra added moisture caused my airways to basically seize and caused a brutal asthma attack. Depending upon your asthma both dry and wet heat can cause problems, however, I haven't any issue with really hot showers. I would simply consult a doctor first.
Thanks for the reply. A few points; It's for my GF she won't go near one as is, but I've heard they're used as a treatment for asthma. She says the trouble is the chlorine that is in the sauna from the swimming pool.
irishgrizzly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2007, 11:29 PM   #4
Iscariot
macrumors 68030

Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks, or diff'rent stimuli for diff'rent bronchial airways. Consult a doctor or you're playing with fire.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion