Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

irishgrizzly

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 15, 2006
I've heard they're not, is this true? (I'm talking about "wet" saunas).

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I'm no doctor and you really should consult one before you leap into one, but I was told for my case to avoid it. I have been in one twice and once I felt fine, another I felt suffocated. The extra added moisture caused my airways to basically seize and caused a brutal asthma attack. Depending upon your asthma both dry and wet heat can cause problems, however, I haven't any issue with really hot showers. I would simply consult a doctor first.

irishgrizzly

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 15, 2006
I'm no doctor and you really should consult one before you leap into one, but I was told for my case to avoid it. I have been in one twice and once I felt fine, another I felt suffocated. The extra added moisture caused my airways to basically seize and caused a brutal asthma attack. Depending upon your asthma both dry and wet heat can cause problems, however, I haven't any issue with really hot showers. I would simply consult a doctor first.

Thanks for the reply. A few points; It's for my GF – she won't go near one as is, but I've heard they're used as a treatment for asthma. She says the trouble is the chlorine that is in the sauna from the swimming pool.

Iscariot

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2007
Toronteazy
Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks, or diff'rent stimuli for diff'rent bronchial airways. Consult a doctor or you're playing with fire.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.