Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robPOD

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 19, 2006
NZ
Hi all
I got my iPod (8gb Week 38) last week, and have been having problems ever since getting safari, itunes and youtube working. It appears to connect to my homes wifi (WPA AES encryption) it has had a few instances of working for 5 mins but these are sporadic (signal and proximity to the router dont matter as i get a strong signal everywhere) It sometimes will also work for around 20 seconds after rebooting my router or forgetting my network and rejoining on my iPod. My Wifi router Is a Gigabyte GN-BRO1G which is hard wired to my adsl router which is the dhcp server . the wifi works on my psp, my macbook, a laptop and a desktop around my house. I have quite a resonable knowledge of networking and this has left me stumped. the ipod also seems to work well on a neighbors unencrypted wifi except the signal is so weak i cant really use it.

here are the technical things
Wireless router ip :192.168.1.254
adsl router (dhcp server aswell) : 192.168.1.1
working macbooks wifi settings (using dhcp) ip 192.168.1.6 dns 192.168.1.1 router/gateway 192.168.1.1 and subnet 255.255.255.0
Type of encrytion WPA AES

ive tried static and dhcp on my iPt but both seem to fail to give me anything that works. i have changed my encrytion to wep and unprotected but it still wont work. im 99% sure the ip setting on my touch are right aswell (it receives an ip from my router when doing dhcp)
any suggestions to getting it work would be appreciated.

Cheers robPOD

RedDragon870503

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2006
It is your security. The Touch does not work with WPA for the time being. Something about it's inability to download sometime.... Sorry for lack of explanation. A lot of us are in this same boat (universities). Should be fixed soon; crosses fingers!

robPOD

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 19, 2006
NZ
sorry changed it to wep and unprotected and still does not work anyother suggestions???

arrows91

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2007
im also having a problem, at work they use WPA my mates house has WPA and i got the password and it worked fine, where as my house has WEP and my dad wont change it to WPA and i dont no how, and my touch will not connect no matter what i use as the password.

any ideas??

rextilleon

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2008
Doesn't work for me with WEP either---so thats not the entire problem. I wonder if anyone has any answers?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.