Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

needthephone

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 4, 2006
sydney
I know it's only been out a few weeks but apple seem to be going out of their way to keep this potential genius gadget down so its as dumb as the rest of what's available.

OK its brilliant at what it does,but it could do so much more. That home screen is crying out to be filled up with application icons but apple seem hell bent on this thing only being a flashy mp3 player with a web browser as a bonus.

I would pay apple for other applications. Its got the potential to be the best (with web based storage ) PDA out there for example.

apple are brilliant, there is no denying it, but they are becoming more and more like parental control freaks which could turn people off.

They deliberately cripple their products the idea I suppose is that you have to buy another (preferably apple) product to do the other stuff you wish you could do on your touch.

The apple PDA is worth waiting for but my fear is that it won't be an MP3 player or a phone so you still need to buy an ipod or an iphone (isn't that suppose to be the one gadget which does it all??).

Ahhh apple you are such a frustrating company...

Genghis Khan

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
i do wish that apple would realise they have done enough to separate the iPhone from the iPod by not including a phone

please apple...exploit all of the iPod you can and stop wasting time stopping others from doing so

db2431

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2007
i do wish that apple would realise they have done enough to separate the iPhone from the iPod by not including a phone

please apple...exploit all of the iPod you can and stop wasting time stopping others from doing so

well we'll have a 1 click installer to jailbreak our touches by the end of the week so we'll get all the iphone apps plus more.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
The reason for the lack of icons is because they are working on new apps etc. Just like how the iTunes Wifi store was added to the phone. Over time there will be more and more stuff on it.

Theres no point rushing out half assed apps. Give them time to create some kick ass apps and then add them via updates.
:rolleyes:

Dublo7

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2007
Perth, Australia.
I agree entirely. While I am happy with my touch the way it is, the device could be so much more if Apple just lifted their iron grip on third party app development.

needthephone

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 4, 2006
sydney
I totally agree in the quality control thing and would be dubious about downloading rushed third party apps. The security issue also needs thinking about so I can see why apple want control. However there is google maps on the phone working already why not add it to touch.

If apple were to announce that more officially endorsed or in house apps were on the way I would be happy and probaly go out and get one tommorrow.

However until they do I just can't justify $500 odd dollars (aussie which will soon be on parity with the greenback...) for an mp3 player.

PS this thread has given me hope?
https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=4304617#post4304617
I need a justification for getting one apple,my wife won't let me get one if it just plays music..

Please...

Genghis Khan

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
needthephone said:
However until they do I just can't justify $500 odd dollars (aussie which will soon be on parity with the greenback...) for an mp3 player.

hahahaha...so true...so apple will soon be making more profit from australian than from american sales

i pray that apple won't come out with an update just for closing this:eek:

:apple:i'm still gonna wait a week or so to see what happens:apple:

Lone Deranger

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
I agree.

I'm surprised there are so many impatient iPT/iPhone users out there aching to get their devices hacked in order to shove all kinds of potentially dodgy software/firmware in there.
Then there's also the endless battle of the next Software/firmware update provided by Apple that'll ofcourse break all of the unofficial functionality you've come to rely on, forcing you to wait once again for yet another dodgy hack.
To me this reeks too much of the Windows world and it is one of the reasons I switched to Apple. I just want my gear to work without such hassles.
Of all the Apple products that I own I am content with what they can do for me. Sure there is always room for improvement and in light of this I have no doubt Apple will continue to evolve said products. Just give it some time folks. :)

The reason for the lack of icons is because they are working on new apps etc. Just like how the iTunes Wifi store was added to the phone. Over time there will be more and more stuff on it.

Theres no point rushing out half assed apps. Give them time to create some kick ass apps and then add them via updates.
:rolleyes:

db2431

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2007
I agree.

I'm surprised there are so many impatient iPT/iPhone users out there aching to get their devices hacked in order to shove all kinds of potentially dodgy software/firmware in there.
Then there's also the endless battle of the next Software/firmware update provided by Apple that'll ofcourse break all of the unofficial functionality you've come to rely on, forcing you to wait once again for yet another dodgy hack.
To me this reeks too much of the Windows world and it is one of the reasons I switched to Apple. I just want my gear to work without such hassles.
Of all the Apple products that I own I am content with what they can do for me. Sure there is always room for improvement and in light of this I have no doubt Apple will continue to evolve said products. Just give it some time folks. :)

Simple, just dont upgrade till a higher version is hacked, nothing is broken in my eyes in current firmware and the jailbreak can add far more than any apple updates.

Lone Deranger

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
Yes, but then you'll have hoards of users complaining they *need* that latest webapp Apple added to the latest firmware and now they can't have it and have to wait for a new hack before they can update and OMG why is aple doing this.. they is teh sux0rzz!#&^$!!!%!

Simple, just dont upgrade till a higher version is hacked, nothing is broken in my eyes in current firmware and the jailbreak can add far more than any apple updates.

needthephone

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 4, 2006
sydney
I will wait until hopefully apple announce other aps are coming, until then I won't get one.

For me I wouldn't risk a hack as I want this thing to be rock solid and legit so I can get support.

Its too pricey to muck around with as unlike most of you, I suspect, I am not a computer expert.

Phobophobia

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2003
They're leaving out capabilities to create different markets for different products at different prices. I expect to see a Mac that uses multitouch priced above iPhone.

virus1

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2004
LOST
I would bet my middle testicle that apple will start to sell apps for the iPod touch and the iPhone in iTunes. I'm positive.

db2431

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2007
I would bet my middle testicle that apple will start to sell apps for the iPod touch and the iPhone in iTunes. I'm positive.

Thats a silly bet since you have no middle testicle to lose, bet your left and Ill admire your bravery.

Sweetbike40

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2007
NY/NJ
i hope they offer some apps for purchase. i'll take that. i'm tired of people saying "it's just an iPod". it's not. why pay $400 for a 16GB mp3 player!! it has wi-fi, and is capable of so much more. so let us have fun this really expensive 16GB ipod.

NewMacGirl

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2007
It would make so much sense if apple sold official applications.

I agree I can not afford over $500 for a mp3 player even if it has multi touch.

The ipod touch could be a very useful gadget but I think apple's policy is to keep ipods as basically music players so they won't canibilise sales of their other products aimed at other markets. eg the iphone and the rumoured future PDA which is suppose to be coming early next year.

As someone else said the PDA will probaly not have ipod abilities though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.