Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Oct 10, 2007, 03:57 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Free UK iPhone for Existing O2 Customers?

Stuff.tv reports that O2 has confirmed that existing contract customers who switch over to an iPhone contract will get a free iPhone upgrade, but only if you've had your current contract before the September 19th iPhone announcement. Customers who signed up after September 19th are not eligible for the upgrade.

Article Link
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2007, 04:00 PM   #2
Bjerre
macrumors member

Wow, now that's a deal if confirmed! Too bad AT&T weren't like that.
Old Oct 10, 2007, 04:02 PM   #3
emotion
macrumors 68040

Blimey. Shame I'm with Vodafone.

£269 penalty for me in effect.
emotion is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2007, 04:07 PM   #4
calculus
macrumors 68040

I don't think this is correct. As I read it 'pre-announcement' O2 customers can move to the iPhone tariff without penalty whereas 'post announcement' customers (i.e. still within their contract period) will have to pay an additional 219. In both cases you have to buy the iPhone as well...
calculus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2007, 04:17 PM   #5
iVoid
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculus View Post
I don't think this is correct. As I read it 'pre-announcement' O2 customers can move to the iPhone tariff without penalty whereas 'post announcement' customers (i.e. still within their contract period) will have to pay an additional 219. In both cases you have to buy the iPhone as well...
Considering Apple was pretty adamant about phone companies not subsidizing the cost of the iPhone with discounts and other gimiky because it would 'diminish the perceived value of the iPhone', I doubt this is really a free iPhone offer as well.

Of course, Apple did diminish the perceived value of the iPhone itselfe when they slashed the price $200, so who knows...
iVoid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2007, 04:20 PM   #6
sanford
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculus View Post
Well that makes two of us who can read. You can change your pre-existing contract tariff to an iPhone contract tariff without penalty, if you signed the contract on that tariff prior the iPhone announcment. No, Virginia, there is no Santa Claus: no free iPhones. This is an irrelevant concept for AT&T customers in the States as you can change your iPhone plan up or down any time you wish -- save dropping the data plan -- at no penalty.
sanford is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2007, 04:22 PM   #7
ibanana
macrumors 6502

Read Free contract upgrade, not free iphone of course !
ibanana is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2007, 04:22 PM   #8
calculus
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanford View Post
Well that makes two of us who can read.
It's a rare talent...
Old Oct 10, 2007, 04:23 PM   #9
Dagless
macrumors Core

Whoa, that's a bit awesome! Shame I didn't have an O2 contract before, shame I've had no contract phone before!
Old Oct 10, 2007, 04:26 PM   #10
nbs2
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Well that makes two of us who can read. You can change your pre-existing contract tariff to an iPhone contract tariff without penalty, if you signed the contract on that tariff prior the iPhone announcment. No, Virginia, there is no Santa Claus: no free iPhones. This is an irrelevant concept for AT&T customers in the States as you can change your iPhone plan up or down any time you wish -- save dropping the data plan -- at no penalty.
I still can't believe that there is a facet of the US cell industry that is superior to something overseas (I would say the rest of the world, but the Canadian data prices seem to be the worst of element of all).
nbs2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2007, 04:34 PM   #11
CD3660
macrumors 68030

Definitely not a free iPhone, just an opportunity to switch to an iPhone contract without a penalty.
iPhone 6
CD3660 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2007, 04:45 PM   #12
daneoni
macrumors G4

Oh well.....at least the prospect was exciting for about 10 seconds.
daneoni is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2007, 04:52 PM   #13
CD3660
macrumors 68030

Yes, it's a shame.
iPhone 6
Old Oct 10, 2007, 04:59 PM   #14
thefunkymunky
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Has this been confirmed? O2 are saying that there will be free iPhone upgrades for existing O2 customers before Sept 19th?
thefunkymunky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2007, 05:21 PM   #15
Drumjim85
macrumors 68020

I'll believe it when I see it....
Drumjim85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2007, 05:54 PM   #16
jamjoe1
macrumors newbie

Thumbs up Free o2 iPhone hopefully!

I hate to add to the speculation but just yesterday I was looking into reknewing my contract with o2 which falls a week after the iPhone is released. Now although I have no proof of it, I distinctly remember reading in the 'Exsisting customers' section under 'availability' on the 02.co.uk website, it read

"customers with an exsisting contract who upgraded before September 18th 2007 will be able to switch to an iPhone contract and recieve the iphone without any payment or incurring any charges for leaving your current contract" or something more or less along those lines - either way confirming the rumor. However the page has now been re-edited.

But I guess we will just have to wait to see! It would be a great deal as I'd definitely consider switching, however the current iphone and contract price is a bit to steep for a none 3G phone.
jamjoe1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2007, 06:05 PM   #17
eenu
Banned

Send a message via AIM to eenu Send a message via MSN to eenu
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamjoe1 View Post
I hate to add to the speculation but just yesterday I was looking into reknewing my contract with o2 which falls a week after the iPhone is released. Now although I have no proof of it, I distinctly remember reading in the 'Exsisting customers' section under 'availability' on the 02.co.uk website, it read

"customers with an exsisting contract who upgraded before September 18th 2007 will be able to switch to an iPhone contract and recieve the iphone without any payment or incurring any charges for leaving your current contract" or something more or less along those lines - either way confirming the rumor. However the page has now been re-edited.

But I guess we will just have to wait to see! It would be a great deal as I'd definitely consider switching, however the current iphone and contract price is a bit to steep for a none 3G phone.
Well that page does not say it now.... and given O2 have supposedly confirmed it..... then it should say it now. I have spoken to O2 multiple times re the iPhone and have been made some amazing offers on my contract none of which got me a free iphone
eenu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2007, 06:26 PM   #18
BufferOverflow
macrumors newbie

eenu I really believe there is nothing, O2 will be able to do regarding subsidising the iPhone. They may give you some extra bolt-ons for free or some kind of tariff discount. But no matter which way you approach it you are going to have to pay £269 for the handset.

As an O2 customer who upgraded July I'm over the moon to hear that I can switch my contract to one of the iPhone contracts without penalty, seems an extremely smart move, especially for Apple who I'm sure will shift more handsets because of it.

Considering the lockdown the 1.1.1 firmware has enabled I would be a lot more hesitant to try unlocking to work with my current SIM.

Considering the facts: I'm already in contract, all providers data rates are very expensive and the unlocking complexity; an 'official' tariff seems really beneficial and the definite way to go.
BufferOverflow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2007, 06:38 PM   #19
eenu
Banned

Send a message via AIM to eenu Send a message via MSN to eenu
I've been offered 600mins and 1000 texts with Unlimited data for 35 a month and then i have to pay 269 for the iPhone
eenu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2007, 07:43 PM   #20
yzp
macrumors regular

sick!!

lets hope rogers will do the same in canada!!!
Old Oct 10, 2007, 07:45 PM   #21
xUKHCx
Administrator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by eenu View Post
I've been offered 600mins and 1000 texts with Unlimited data for 35 a month and then i have to pay 269 for the iPhone
working this out over the cost of nine months i will still end up positive.
xUKHCx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2007, 08:53 PM   #22
thecritix
macrumors 6502

so the real winners here are the people who got new contract phones from o2 in early september, but now want an iphone as they essentially get a free phone...

nice, i got mine in about april, but im happy.
the iphones become alot more tempting, now if only they'd reverse that top tariff from mins to texts and drop it to 45

55 is too steeeeeeeep.
thecritix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2007, 11:54 PM   #23
CD3660
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecritix View Post
....they essentially get a free phone...
This is not going to happen. There is no real incentive for o2 to give away a 269 phone to people who are already tied into a contract with them.

Come on folks: Stop dreaming and read it carefully.
iPhone 6
Old Oct 11, 2007, 12:51 AM   #24
BKKbill
macrumors 6502

Location: Location: Location: it's all about location and that would be Bangkok, Thailand
Quote:
Originally Posted by yzp View Post
sick!!

lets hope rogers will do the same in canada!!!
This is just part of the story on cbc.ca about Canadian carriers and why you pay so much. This used to go to the government now the carriers just keep it.
The increase is for the access fee - something all cell phone users pay to gain access to a network. All cell phone users used to pay a standard fee, $48 a year. But as of February 1, Rogers' fee will be $75. Telus will jump to $83 a year. Competitors Fido and MTS say there are no plans to pass on the increase - for now.
Old Oct 11, 2007, 12:54 AM   #25
calculus
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecritix View Post
so the real winners here are the people who got new contract phones from o2 in early september, but now want an iphone as they essentially get a free phone...
Yes, but the free phone is not the iPhone - it's the one they got when they first took out their contract...

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion