Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Old Jul 9, 2013, 11:05 AM   #1
Blancasterb
macrumors newbie

Monitor Children using iPod touch over WiFi

Is there any type of parental control software that can be used to monitor iTouch usage over wifi? We have a rule during the school year that our kids cannot text until 5pm or after 10pm on school days. We can monitor this on their phones (non smart phones) by checking the usage on AT&T website. However, as sneaky as they think they are, they have figured out that there are texting apps that can be installed on their iTouch's. Im pretty sure that they utilized this for this past school year. I do not want to shut off the wifi, or anything like that as they need the internet for school work. However I do want to know what they are doing when they are on there. I have found computer monitoring software, but nothing that really covers smart devices. I could care less what their texts say, I just want to know if they are sneaking without them knowing Im watching so I can bust them. Can anoyone help me out with this?
Blancasterb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2013, 12:08 PM   #2
Ghostbusters
macrumors regular

First thing you'd want to do is setup parental controls on the iPod touch. To do this, use the Restrictions function found under the Settings menu. There you can disable things like app installing, app deleting, and in-app purchases. This will prevent the lil' hackers from installing alternative social networking software. That's step 1.

Step 2 is to limit Messages and FaceTime. To do this, you will need to go online to find out which ports these services use to access the internet. Then you can dig into your router's settings to block these ports. If your router allows you can enable timed blocking, but I'm not sure how prevalent that feature is.

Step 3 (in case the above doesn't work) is to disable wifi access after hours. To do this, you will have to dig into your Wifi router's settings to enable MAC address filtering. MAC addresses are unique identifiers for each network card from a device connecting to a network, wirelessly or wired. Once enabled, you can filter each device to the point where you can dictate which get internet access and when. This way their laptops and desktops still connect online, but not their iPod touch devices. This will stop all internet data including Messages and FaceTime.

Step 4 is to acquire their passwords for the services they use. I find this to be the best as you can develop trust with your kids this way. You won't ever use the password, but it's only as a precautionary measure/threat. The kids will feel that you may randomly check their email or log onto their Messages (from OS X Lion or higher) and will be compelled to avoid any sort of fishy behaviour.

All the best and good luck!

Last edited by Ghostbusters; Jul 10, 2013 at 08:34 AM. Reason: Removed opinion.
Ghostbusters is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2013, 07:39 PM   #3
JloMom
macrumors newbie

App that might help you

Hi
Check out this app.
It may help your situation.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pare...8138?ls=1&mt=8
JloMom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2013, 08:54 AM   #4
Zmanbaseball2
macrumors 68040

I have a router that can block all Internet from time to a time if I wanted to. Maybe your router can do the same.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 09:05 AM   #5
NewbieCanada
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostbusters View Post
Step 4 is to acquire their passwords for the services they use. I find this to be the best as you can develop trust with your kids this way. You won't ever use the password, but it's only as a precautionary measure/threat. The kids will feel that you may randomly check their email or log onto their Messages (from OS X Lion or higher) and will be compelled to avoid any sort of fishy behaviour.

All the best and good luck!
You think that痴 a way to develop trust?

I知 not a parent and I知 not going to question the necessity or wisdom of this. But I am going to say flat out - knowing that someone may check up on you behind your back does not develop trust.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 09:37 AM   #6
InTheMist
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieCanada View Post

I知 not a parent and I知 not going to question the necessity or wisdom of this. But I am going to say flat out - knowing that someone may check up on you behind your back does not develop trust.
No, you're not. As Ronald Reagan said "trust, but verify".
InTheMist is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2013, 10:10 AM   #7
Roy Hobbs
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by JloMom View Post
Hi
Check out this app.
It may help your situation.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pare...8138?ls=1&mt=8
I just installed this.... it includes a free month but requires a subscription to continue past that.

But it does work very well in my limited testing
Roy Hobbs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2013, 12:40 PM   #8
Ghostbusters
macrumors regular

Quote:

My fellow Canuck, I agree with you. I'm no parent, but I am only offering options that I know other parents have used in the past. Sometimes what might work for 99 people won't work for 1 or vice versa. It all depends on the parents, children and, heck, even timing. But having options doesn't hurt. One can access accordingly.
Ghostbusters is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2013, 01:53 PM   #9
ikev85
macrumors member

Thumbs down

Manage through human interaction, not technology.

Short answer? No, not really
ikev85 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2013, 02:34 PM   #10
designs216
macrumors 65816

My TC allows me to set up time blocks when certain MAC addresses can access the internet. Other routers have the same feature. Or maybe you force little Johnny to complete his homework on a computer in a common area before you turn over his Touch.
designs216 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2013, 02:47 PM   #11
Jackiepolanski
macrumors newbie

Here is the thing

You may not think that build's trust,, Trust is something earned and has to be earned by our children by what ever means. Children/Teens in todays world are totally out of control, so things need to get tighter for the children and more work for us parents. It is not all kids today but it is a good majority of todays kids, lack respect for authority figures, adults in general, and for peers. Why they have no fear,, Schools need to gain back the control they once had many years ago, Parent need to gain back control also, and for the busy-body who has the nerve to call child services on the parent who paddles their kid in the store parking lot for not obeying his parent,, Mind your own business. Before any of you nonphysical discipline honks chime in, there is a difference between physical discipline and abuse. Simplest thing is to have a flip phone for the kids they really have no need for a smart phone, have a community computer in an open area in your house.

Rant Over......................
Jackiepolanski is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2013, 02:12 PM   #12
Scott549
macrumors regular

If you get the latest Airport Extreme router, you can set time of day restrictions for specific devices.
Scott549 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2013, 03:22 PM   #13
mripadmini
macrumors regular

Yes, they can text and a lot of kids do that if they have a limited number of texts they can send per month. Theirs no need to try and monitor when they are sending these messages if they get their homework done before 5 o'clock. Also if they know how to get around it from you they probably know how to get around being caught texting after 10 pm too.

I am in 12th grade FYI.

Last edited by mripadmini; Dec 17, 2013 at 03:32 PM.
mripadmini is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2013, 08:09 PM   #14
Primejimbo
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackiepolanski View Post
You may not think that build's trust,, Trust is something earned and has to be earned by our children by what ever means. Children/Teens in todays world are totally out of control, so things need to get tighter for the children and more work for us parents. It is not all kids today but it is a good majority of todays kids, lack respect for authority figures, adults in general, and for peers. Why they have no fear,, Schools need to gain back the control they once had many years ago, Parent need to gain back control also, and for the busy-body who has the nerve to call child services on the parent who paddles their kid in the store parking lot for not obeying his parent,, Mind your own business. Before any of you nonphysical discipline honks chime in, there is a difference between physical discipline and abuse. Simplest thing is to have a flip phone for the kids they really have no need for a smart phone, have a community computer in an open area in your house.

Rant Over......................
Amen!

I spanked my kid on the butt once or twice and she hasn't done that stuff again. People just give kids "time outs", sorry but that doesn't work. I am shocked when I see kids mouth off in public and if my did ever did that, I would slap her.

In this day and age with technology, it's not easy being a parent and us parents needs all the help and ideas we can get. With all this technology and parents trying to stay ahead, we almost can probably have a "parents and technology" section for parents to learn how to do stuff.
Primejimbo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2013, 08:55 PM   #15
kfergiez
macrumors 6502

Quote:

HAHAHAHAHA!

Come back when you are a parent of a teenager. Then we can have this discussion.
kfergiez is offline   3 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch