Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

realityisterror

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 30, 2003
Snellville, GA
Okay, so I've got a small dilemna...

Background info:
I'm 13 and new to Macs. My budget is tight, but I don't want to buy something that will be dated too soon. I'm thinking of either buying an eMac ($999) or iBook ($999).

(Since you're going to ask) what I would do with "my" computer:
Surf the web mainly and word processing. Sprinkle in some iMovies, too. Listen to mp3's. Web design. Basicly, nothing too demanding.

Specifics:
I've got a student desk, about 18" deep, I think, so the eMac seems a bit big if I put it at an angle like below:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| - - |
| - - DESK |
| - - |
| - eMac - |
| - - -------------------------- |
| - _ _ _- - | | ( ) |
| - _ _ | keyboard | ( ) |
| - | & mouse | ( ) |
| --------------------------- |
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

it just might fit.
Also the eMac, obviously, has a combo drive, which isn't too important too me. Portability isn't too important, it just has to fit in my limited space. iMac is too expensive as of now.
Hoping too purchase in October when Panther is bundled.

So do I go with iBook, for portability, or eMac, for power and cramped space?

Thanx in advance,
reality

realityisterror

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 30, 2003
Snellville, GA
sorry, the ascii art got screwed.
basicly, just put the eMac to the left(of the desk) at an angle and sit to the right side(of the desk) with the eMac facing you with keyboard and mouse nearby.

P.S. Apple stores aren't nearby. Compusa is the closest (about 30 minutes). compusa is also where i hope to purchase come October and Panther

reality

xpormac

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2003
Get the ibook, evryone loves portability.

but for the price of that ibook, you could get a pc laptop thats twice as fast for all those surfing the net needs with a cd-burner and dvd player :D

realityisterror

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 30, 2003
Snellville, GA
yes the iBook seems pretty obvious, but is it worth sacrificing the CD-burner/DVD drive and lots more power.

BTW with the eMac i can afford to add 512MB extra RAM, but only 256MB for iBook

reality

macrumors12345

Suspended
Mar 1, 2003
Originally posted by realityisterror
yes the iBook seems pretty obvious, but is it worth sacrificing the CD-burner/DVD drive and lots more power.

BTW with the eMac i can afford to add 512MB extra RAM, but only 256MB for iBook

reality

I would probably go with the eMac if you don't need portability. It's faster (G4 processor, 33% faster memory, 10% higher clock speed), and it has a larger display which supports much higher resolutions (up to 1280x1024). The only nice thing about the iBook (besides the portability) is that it has an LCD, but the eMac CRT is perfectly flat, so it compares pretty well to an LCD except in terms of power consumption. Also the 512 MB of extra RAM is key. OS X likes a lot of RAM...384 MB (what you would have with the iBook) is not really enough.

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
You said you don't want it to be dated too soon, so it'd have to be the eMac. The G3 processor is already a little long in the tooth.

Fender2112

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2002
Charlotte, NC
If portability is not important, go with eMac. I have one, G4 10Ghz w/ Combo drive, and really like it. Do plan to budget for extra RAM. The stock 128 MB is a bare minimum. For about $150, I got two 512 MB sticks from Crucial. That's the max the eMac can handle. I noticed immediate improvement.

Good luck

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Re: eMac vs. iBook

Code:
|       -    -                                                                                     |
|    -            -                                       DESK                                 |
|    -                   -                                                                         |
|     -   eMac            -                                                                    |
|      -                           -            --------------------------                   |
|       -             _ _   _- -           |                                  |    (  )        |
|        -    _  _                          |        keyboard           |     (  )        |
|          -                                  |        & mouse            |     (  )        |
|                                               ---------------------------                  |
Don't know...

There's also some of the refurbished machines to look at.

realityisterror

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 30, 2003
Snellville, GA
Originally posted by Fender2112
If portability is not important, go with eMac. I have one, G4 10Ghz w/ Combo drive, and really like it. Do plan to budget for extra RAM. The stock 128 MB is a bare minimum. For about $150, I got two 512 MB sticks from Crucial. That's the max the eMac can handle. I noticed immediate improvement.

Good luck

10 GHz! Wow! Where'd you get that?

LOL!

Do you guys think 640MB is enough for RAM? As I said, I'm only 13 and very poor...

I'll look into some refurbs

reality

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
i only have the stock256 that came with my 12" powerbook and that is enough for me so far...i can always expand if i need to.

realityisterror

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 30, 2003
Snellville, GA
i was just looking at refurb eMacs. The current 1Ghz Combo Drive model (which sells for $999) was offered for $899. It seemed that the savings was more on the eMac models, any info?

i'm not sure how comfortable i am with a refurbished computer. anyone had some positive/negative experiences with refurbs. any info would be greatly appreciated....

help please,
reality

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
1 gig emac is a mac best buy, it will smoke the ibook & think about this 17" sceen,built in pro speakers,g4,etc. this is the best features for price mac you can get in my humble opinion. make sure to get a little more memory. also mac addict had an article where it was just a tick faster then the new 1 gig imac. a great buy.

CMillerERAU

macrumors regular
May 12, 2003
Since you're a student, definately look at Apple's Education Store. iBooks start at $949 and eMacs start at $749. If you aren't interested in burning CD's (or have an external drive like myself) then its a good deal. The next model up is the 1Ghz combo drive for $849, still a steal from the main store prices. Hopefully these are the same for you, I'm looking at the college store.

Oh, and I would recommend the eMac anyday. Besides the performance hit of the G3, those tray CD drives suck (from someone who owned a tray-loading iMac and a 1st rev. Xserve).

Happy Hunting!

macrumors12345

Suspended
Mar 1, 2003
Originally posted by Fender2112
If portability is not important, go with eMac. I have one, G4 10Ghz w/ Combo drive, and really like it.

Yeah, if I had a 10 Ghz G4, I'd really like it too!! ;-)

Since you're a student, definately look at Apple's Education Store. iBooks start at $949 and eMacs start at $749. If you aren't interested in burning CD's (or have an external drive like myself) then its a good deal.

Sorry, educational pricing only applies to higher education students. =(

realityisterror

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 30, 2003
Snellville, GA
i am a student but 8th grade...
if i was in college, then i would qualify for the discount.
alas, no discounts for me....

any info on refurbs?

reality

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I've read all of the comments above. My conclusion is that you should get a new eMac, with no extra RAM at least for now.

And if your desk is crowded, consider getting a bigger desk. The ones you assemble yourself are quite inexpensive and have keyboard shelves and storage compartments that will be handy.

dethl

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2002
Austin, TX
i am a student but 8th grade...
if i was in college, then i would qualify for the discount.
alas, no discounts for me....

any info on refurbs?

reality

Actually, as an 8th grade student, you <i>can</i> get the student discount. When you click on the education link in the apple store, click on the K-12 institutions link. Then look up your school, and then you can order at the discounted price. Its not limited to JUST college students.

realityisterror

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 30, 2003
Snellville, GA
copied from apple website:

Who is Eligible To Purchase
The following education individuals are eligible to purchase through the Apple Store for Education individuals:

Employee of public or private K-12 institutions in the United States
School Board members who are currently serving as elected or appointed members
PTA or PTO executives currently serving as elected or appointed officers
Qualified homeschools
Employee of a public or private, profit or non-profit preschool
Qualifying purchases per academic school year (July 1 - June 30):

Power Mac, iMac, eMac, PowerBook, or iBook - One per year
Printers - One per year
Displays - Two per year
Software - Two per year

i guess that means i can't legally but there is nothing stopping me, correct?

refurb info??

reality

realityisterror

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 30, 2003
Snellville, GA
sry to post again so soon...

when looking at the prices to purchase with edu discount, the $799 is discounted to $749, $50. the $999 is discounted to $849 cheaper than the normal refurb price. that's $150 dollars! why the difference in discounts? also, is there any reason why i would not be able to purchase with edu discount? in theory anyone could just lie. do i need a student id or something?

that would mean there is no reason to go refurb, right? there is no edu discount for refurbs.

does anyone know if you need proof for the edu discount?
also, what about shipping and tax? i think i heard shipping is free...

reality
ps thanx for all your help

shecky

May 24, 2003
Obviously you're not a golfer.
to buy at education you need proof to qualify; at Apple.com you need to send proof of eligibility usually by fax, to walk into an Apple retail store, you need to bring proof of eligibility (eg. a student ID, or a paystub if you are faculty/staff)

GENERALLY K-12 students are not qualified to buy at these prices, however there are exceptions.

You should also be aware that even if you are eligible, you can NOT go to CompUSA and get that discount - CompUSA is not allowed to sell at Apple education pricing for individuals.

realityisterror

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 30, 2003
Snellville, GA
not buying from compusa wouldn't be too bad for me...

what are these "exceptions" you speak of, shecky?
it would be really nice to get a new (non-refurbished) system for that price

reality

Fender2112

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2002
Charlotte, NC
For those who can't add...

Originally posted by macrumors12345
Yeah, if I had a 10 Ghz G4, I'd really like it too!! ;-)

Two 512 MB sticks of RAM equal 1024 MB aka 1 GB not 10. And they fit quite nicely in the bottom of an eMac.

Sorry for the typo. It's amzing how such a small thing causes so much panic.:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.