Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

db2431

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2007
EDIT New Version AVaiable, cuts out more steps, get it HERE!!

http://zoo.cs.yale.edu/~yw226/ipod/touchfree3.zip

NOTE THAT .NET FRAMEWORK 2.0 IS REQUIRED FOR THIS APPLICATION

1. Extract all of the files in this zip archive.

2. Copy iTunesMobileDevice.dll from C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin to the same folder as touchFree.exe.

3. Restore your iPod to a fresh 1.1.1 state (recommended but optional)

4. Load http://jailbreak.toc2rta.com in Safari on the iPod. Safari should exit/crash.

5. Run touchFree.exe

- When prompted to reboot, turn off the iPod as you do so normally and then turn it on again.
After the springboard (the UI of the iPod) appears on the iPod, push enter in the window to continue
(the application cannot detect when the iPod has been successfully booted, so you need to cue it by
pushing enter when asked to)

- You will be asked to reboot twice at some point. This means turning the iPod off, turning it on,
turning it off again, and then turning it back on before pushing enter to continue.

- Enter the IP address of the iPod when prompted.

- If you get a PuTTY dialogue about the SSH host key, say yes.

6. You should end up with an iPod with Installer.app and Trip1Pogostick installed, and SSH, SFTP enabled.

- Username to SSH is root, password is alpine

Morazer

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2007
I try it!
But i don't know what to do in 6a

can anybody help me! I don't know how to launch an SSH session on my iPod!

Thanks

Adorada

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2007
Using SSH with your Ipod Touch:

1. Open terminal (apple key + spacebar then type in terminal and open it)
2. Type in: ssh -l (lowercase L) root (then type in IP of your Ipod touch).
That's how to start an SSH session with you Ipod Touch

So it should look like this:

ssh -l root 125.104.3.82

To get you IP of your Ipod Touch, its located in settings.

vtmikevt

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2007
This is for WINDOWS. pushing the "apple key" and opening "terminal" aren't really options. How about a windows conversion?

spinstorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
Well before I lose everything on my iPod I would like to know for certain about that last bit with the ssh without terminal!

Also when I have jailbreaked can I still sync with iTunes?

Adorada

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2007
Oh, sorry, misread the post. For windows, I'm gonna say that it's exactly the same way except that instead of apple key and/or terminal, its command prompt. So you do the same thing in command prompt (you can start it by going start > run > cmd. That is for windows xp and guessing windows vista. Hope it helps.

spinstorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
How do I get the IP address of my ipod?

All I can see is the Wi-Fi address and not the IP!

vtmikevt

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2007
Anyone do this/get it to work? I will attempt when i get home from work later tonight. If you get it working, post any things you feel the tutorial didn't explain well enough.

Adorada

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2007
Spin, you can do it two ways (either check your router page, in windows go into command prompt then type ipconfig and note the last one down (i wanna say its the gateway ip) then go into firefox or IE and type that in. It should bring up the router page and from there you should be able to find the IP of your ipod (its listed on the page as "Ipod."

The other way is by going to whatismyip.com from your ipod touch. It didn't work for me but that might be because mine was directly connected to my wireless network/computer.

spazer

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2006
Northern California
Working in Vista?

Can someone confirm that this process will work in Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit?

Also, what are the implications for this hack if Apple releases 1.1.2 for iPhone/iPtouch? Would updating break the hack? Is there a way to remove the hack, and safely update to 1.1.2 (ending up with an un-hacked, updated device)?

dsmac91

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2007
To open the ssh thing you click putty in the folder you made. then you just put your ip and start a session.

dsmac91

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2007
Help me!!!! I finished everything and I was just downloading the community sources pack and it said downloading pack and it's frozen now, it's been for a few minutes. I don't know what to do.

kevbo1983

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2007
I want to try this, but before I do, what the hell is SSH?

From PuTTY's site: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/faq.html
A.1.1 What is PuTTY?

PuTTY is a client program for the SSH, Telnet and Rlogin network protocols.

These protocols are all used to run a remote session on a computer, over a network. PuTTY implements the client end of that session: the end at which the session is displayed, rather than the end at which it runs.

In really simple terms: you run PuTTY on a Windows machine, and tell it to connect to (for example) a Unix machine. PuTTY opens a window. Then, anything you type into that window is sent straight to the Unix machine, and everything the Unix machine sends back is displayed in the window. So you can work on the Unix machine as if you were sitting at its console, while actually sitting somewhere else.

vtmikevt

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2007
opening an SSH session

Let me know if this is correct (as i haven't tried it), but i believe you launch an SSH session by opening "putty.exe" within the "touchFree.zip" file and go into the "Session" category.

Under "host name (or IP address)", you would type in your iPod's IP address. I don't know about port number though (it seems to have one picked already).

Connection type would be "SSH" then click "open". This is just my best guess. Anyone know which port to use?

Let me know if this is right?

ksd

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2007
I want to try this, but before I do, what the hell is SSH?

SSH stands for Secure Shell. Simply put, SSH is a program that allows you to connect to a Unix-based computer and execute commands. In this instance, you will be connecting from your Windows-based computer to your iPod touch, which "under the covers" runs OS X, which is based on Unix. Windows does not ship with an SSH client, although there is a free one available called PuTTY. The original post in this thread seems to indicate that the zip file it links to contains PuTTY, but I am not sure as I have not tried this. I plan to, however, when I get home from work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.