Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Piarco

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
Londinium
Just read this on engadget and iLounge too. Subscription models just aren't for me, I like to own my music so I can move it to whatever player I choose.
Amazon MP3 has got it right IMHO, but any competition is good. But why are they choosing to go down a well trodden path that only have ever led to the sheer drop of doom? Have any subscription based models worked?? :confused:

clevin

macrumors G3
Original poster
Aug 6, 2006
Amazon MP3 has got it right IMHO, but any competition is good. But why are they choosing to go down a well trodden path that only have ever led to the sheer drop of doom? Have any subscription based models worked?? :confused:

only cable tv/cellphone/car/electricity/water subscription works.

they are probably thinking that adding $5 to the cellphone bill is less noticeable vs. blatantly asking for $5 on website. Which might be true. but again, DRM is a line I can never cross.

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
Man, these companies just don't get it. If it doesn't work on the iPod then a large majority of mp3-player owners just won't use it.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
How would Universal get hardware makers to defray their $5/month cost as proposed? I could see cell companies bundling it into their service fees, but if you buy a Zune for $200, how can Microsoft pay Universal $5/month indefinitely for you to have access to their music on it?

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Man, these companies just don't get it. If it doesn't work on the iPod then a large majority of mp3-player owners just won't use it.

I wouldn't be so sure.If most of the music content leaves iTunes for other pastures people will start buying a product that can use the other service.That's what this conspiracy hopes.

Makes me wonder if the FCC or some other Fed watch-group will start looking into this could-be-illegal practice.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
Universal Music 'Free Music' Plan to Take on iTunes

Businessweek details the plans of Universal chief Doug Morris to take on Apple's iTunes music service.

Morris was once a proponent of Apple's iTunes music store, but has since changed his tune. According to Businessweek sources, Morris is joining forces with other record companies to launch an "industry-owned" subscription service.

Representing 75% of music sold in the U.S., they would ask hardware makers or cell carriers to pay them a $5/month subscription fee. In exchange, consumers of their products would get unlimited music at no additional cost to them ("free"). Music companies would get the $5/month and hardware companies would theoretically sell more units.

Of interest, Businessweek notes that despite these efforts to undermine iTunes, Universal can't afford to simply pull their music from iTunes, which holds a 70% marketshare in music downloads.

Article Link

Yateball

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2007
Great idea as far as I'm concerned

And the more competition the better everyone's products get!

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
When are these 'tards going to realise: Consumers don't want subscription music services.

xJulianx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2006
Brighton, UK
This sounds like an absolutely huge operation and definitely for the good of the industry and end consumer. iTunes will always be there for smaller bands on indie labels by the looks of it though?

Morky

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2002
NYC
Rentals for iPods?

How would Apple charge $5/month for an iPod? An iPod contract? What if the iPod breaks? Why don't the record companies just charge end users of the service $5/month directly? Now that might not be too shabby.

lanray

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2005
potentially good idea, but...

Would I be able to download music to use from now on? What I could see happening is that I get access to my music as long as I have the subscription; after that, after I'm tired of paying $xx a month, I don't get to use it anymore.

If you could just go crazy with the cheese whiz and download what you like, then this would be great (but, then, kind of dumb on the label's part).

mac 2005

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2005
Chicago
F the industry. How about an "artist-owned" service?

Always a good sentiment. I'd love for the industry to get more of a "direct-distribution model" so that the talent gets the proceeds and the overpaid execs have to earn an honest's day pay the old-fashioned way; by doing their own work and not sponging off another's creativity.

With respect to the $5/month, I don't understand how that will help the record labels. I spend more than $5/month now on iTMS and most of that money goes to the labels. Also, I don't want a subscription!

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
Of interest, Businessweek notes that despite these efforts to undermine iTunes, Universal can't afford to simply pull their music from iTunes, which holds a 70% marketshare in music downloads.

Perhaps they could start rolling out unprotected music on iTunes (or was it them that already did it and the others should follow suit).

I think competition is good, however they've got the wrong idea, which is to "beat" iTunes right now, and not serve their musicians correctly. I can imagine the musicians making even less money from this deal than they do on iTunes, how is that helpful ?

Bearing in mind I don't think they should be reaping huge profits, but they have to live somehow.

Lastly the obvious question is which format will they choose ? Surely it wont be mac-compatible, that'd just be silly... as usual. :rolleyes:

nateco

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2006
I wonder how many different uses you'll get out of this service.

My guess.....none.....it'll be locked down like you couldn't imagine.

It'd be funny once they crack the DRM and you keep the songs.

What a bunch of idiots.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
iTunes will always be there for smaller bands on indie labels by the looks of it though?

doubt it...if all the major media companies pull the plug on iTunes Music Store, I can't see Apple keeping it around.

I'd much rather see artist leave the record labels, and Apple let them sell/give their music away in iTunes Music store....to bad Apple's won't ever allow that

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
will fail.... again

Subscription services had been tried for many many years, none has been successful. The main thing is that people know the companies can change the price of the subscription at any time, and thus any money so far put into the subscription would vaporize if you choose not to stick with that subscription anymore. Therefore it will not impact iTunes / iPod combination.

Ask Virgin's online subscribers how great subscription music is. They're shutting down and now their users find they've been paying $$ a month and don't have any music out of it.

morespce54

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2004
Around the World
LOL!
Yeah...
The coolest part is that hardware makers and cell carriers won't ever pass the $5 to the end user... :eek:
sure... whatever...

[sarcasm]
Oh, I forgot that they won't pass the bill to the end-user because they'll sell more units, therefore covering their $5... And since every cell carriers will follow, you'll be able to use any cell carriers you wish... therefore... oh wait a minute...
[/sarcasm]

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
LOL!
Yeah...
The coolest part is that hardware makers and cell carriers won't ever pass the $5 to the end user... :eek:
sure... whatever...

Well, yeah, I imagine they would most likely charge $10 to the end user. It's called business. Then Verizon or Sprint or whoever would charge $7 and eventually someone would give it away, making up for it somewhere else no doubt.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.