Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I have gone through the picture gallery forums, and other forums on the internet, about AV, such as AVSforums or something like that, and have noticed that some people bought a standalone Blu-Ray Player for MORE THAN THE PRICE of a Playstation 3. Why would anyone spend more money, when a PS3 can do what you need and more?

Just wondering, that's all.

sananda

macrumors 68030
May 24, 2007
I have gone through the picture gallery forums, and other forums on the internet, about AV, such as AVSforums or something like that, and have noticed that some people bought a standalone Blu-Ray Player for MORE THAN THE PRICE of a Playstation 3. Why would anyone spend more money, when a PS3 can do what you need and more?

Just wondering, that's all.

presumably there are standalone players that are better quality than a PS3.

Much Ado

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2006
UK
OP: Do you own a DVD player that is not a PS2?

If the answer if yes, then the question seems a bit odd.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
OP: Do you own a DVD player that is not a PS2?

If the answer if yes, then the question seems a bit odd.

no the Ps2 hasnt been the cheapest dvd player on the market for sometime....current the only people who should have stand alone blue ray player are people who wanted blue ray before ps3 was out.

r1ch4rd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2005
Manchester UK
no the Ps2 hasnt been the cheapest dvd player on the market for sometime....current the only people who should have stand alone blue ray player are people who wanted blue ray before ps3 was out.

or perhaps people who want a better quality player than the one found in the ps3...

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
Or, shock / horror, they have no need for the other capabilities of a PS3:eek:

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
The PS3 is subsidised, the standalone Bluray players are not. There's one reason it's cheaper.

People may prefer the looks of a standalone player for a stunning AV setup, over a curvy PS3.

Personally, I'd love a PS3, but if I was creating a serious AV room, there'd be no place for it, or any other console, for that matter.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
The Blu-Ray quality of the PS3 is supposed to be poor to average (According to 'What Hi-Fi?' so its worth believing). Thats a good reason in its self.

In the What Hi-Fi, October 2007 HD disc players group test, it gave the PlayStation3 five stars, commenting that the recent firmware upgrades have made it a much better player.

For
Fine Blue-ray and DVD playback; excellent spec; slick menus; top games console

Against
Using the controller as the remote; CD playback is poor

Verdict
Better performance elsewhere, but a great budget buy

They still think a standalone player will give better results, but the gap is now closer.

pilotError

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2006
Long Island
PS3 still doesn't support the lossless HD Audio codecs (True HD / HD MA )

There's also an issue of a popping sound eminating from the PS3 when it changes chapters and a handful of other operations.

It also doesn't have an IR Remote, which is a major PITA with home theatre setups.

It runs hot if you don't give it enough air, and the fans become a distraction to the movie.

There's 4 reasons...

Up until recently, the PS3 was the best Blu-Ray player out there. Every BR player out there has some sort of issues though. There was supposed to be a bunch of new players in time for the Holidays, but a bunch of companies either canceled models or delayed shipping until after the Holidays.

Currently the Samsung BDP-1400 is the current leader because it can support the latest Audio codecs.

combatcolin

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2004
Northants, UK
Dedicated Player

Same reason that people still buy CD players, they just do a better job.

Still don't like playing CD's on my Sony DVD player, would rather use my (older) Sony CD player - every DVD player i have ever used in almost 10 years of DVD ownership are just annoying "slow" to play/pause/fast forward etc a CD.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I wouldn't buy a Blu-ray or HD-DVD player until a standard format is chosen. I remember all to well the VHS vs. Betamax fight.

Martin C

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2006
New York City
I was going to buy a 40 GB PS3 (when they are released) for Blu-Ray movies, but I decided to keep saving up for a future Apple Cinema Display instead.

The only advantage a standalone Blu-Ray player has is an actual remote, in my mind.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
the PS3 is the absolute worst Blu Ray player. I don't have a blu ray player, but to tout the PS3 as a "great" blu ray player is absurd.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Standalone, because-
It's not some fussy computer that has more chance of breaking. Better audio output options. Hopefully quieter (haven't heard a standalone BlueRay player in a home).

Plus no use for the extra features of a PS3. And the media remote is a bit fugly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.