Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Oct 12, 2007, 03:56 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
iPhone 1.1.1 Working 3rd Party Apps



A ModMyiPhone thread compiles a list of currently working and not-working 3rd party apps under the iPhone 1.1.1 firmware update.

The iPhone 1.1.1 Firmware update initially broke installation of 3rd party applications, but recent methods have reopened the iPhone (and iPod touch).

As listed, many existing 3rd party apps work without modification.

Article Link
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2007, 04:57 PM   #2
daze
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto, Canada
Send a message via ICQ to daze Send a message via AIM to daze
Let me be the first to say, awwwweeeeesommmmmmmeeeeeee.

No, it's not the Keypress virus. It's excitement.
daze is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2007, 05:02 PM   #3
Ghibli
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Trieste - Italy
Really GREAT. I do not own an iPhone or an iPod Touch either. But I really think they are really GREAT!

They also report that an unlock is coming very soon...
Ghibli is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2007, 06:10 PM   #4
appleguru1
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Send a message via AIM to appleguru1
Another list is being maintained here:

http://iphone.fiveforty.net/wiki/ind...d_Applications

Only app that I used that doesn't work is sketches (well summerboard too, but now that apple's own springboard supports multiple pages of apps natively it's not so much of an issue )

/me = happy again
appleguru1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2007, 07:15 PM   #5
megfilmworks
macrumors 68020
 
megfilmworks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Sherman Oaks
 
Save yourself all the time wasted on worrying about updates and wait for the widgets! They'll work better and you won't have to spend half your life fixing your iPhone.
__________________
MacPro Waste Basket 12 Core, Macbook Pro 15" RD
iPhone 5s - iPhone Gen1 - iPod Gen1 - iPad Gen1
ATV - Time Capsule - BlackMagic - RED - Arri - FCPX
DA42 - BE G58
megfilmworks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2007, 07:40 PM   #6
shadowfax
macrumors 601
 
shadowfax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Houston, TX
Send a message via AIM to shadowfax
Quote:
Originally Posted by megfilmworks View Post
Save yourself all the time wasted on worrying about updates and wait for the widgets! They'll work better and you won't have to spend half your life fixing your iPhone.
dude, why not save yourself the time you're wasting on naysaying 3rd party apps and STHU? everyone will be happier and you won't have to waste half your life blowing cold air on a perfectly good thread!

seriously, please go post in the widget thread and we will be fine hacking our phones to get the apps we prefer. it's win-win!

I am excited about rSBT coming, I really want to ut my apps in proper order. that's all I am waiting on so far. it's good to have IM back!

jailbroke last night. not too hard.
shadowfax is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2007, 07:48 PM   #7
megfilmworks
macrumors 68020
 
megfilmworks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Sherman Oaks
 
Been to that thread, its more fun bugging all you wacko hackos.
Seriously, is it really worth all the time to get some silly little app on your iPhone? Or unlock it so you can go with another rip off carrier?
__________________
MacPro Waste Basket 12 Core, Macbook Pro 15" RD
iPhone 5s - iPhone Gen1 - iPod Gen1 - iPad Gen1
ATV - Time Capsule - BlackMagic - RED - Arri - FCPX
DA42 - BE G58
megfilmworks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2007, 09:09 PM   #8
tbobmccoy
macrumors 6502a
 
tbobmccoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Austin, TX
Send a message via AIM to tbobmccoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by megfilmworks View Post
Been to that thread, its more fun bugging all you wacko hackos.
Seriously, is it really worth all the time to get some silly little app on your iPhone? Or unlock it so you can go with another rip off carrier?
In short, yes. Text messaging prices are ridiculous. 20 bucks for unlimited TEXT messages? what a rip-off, especially since I already can get gigs of data space for free with my unlimited data. I want my native IM app back. That's all.
tbobmccoy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2007, 09:20 PM   #9
megfilmworks
macrumors 68020
 
megfilmworks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Sherman Oaks
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbobmccoy View Post
In short, yes. Text messaging prices are ridiculous. 20 bucks for unlimited TEXT messages? what a rip-off, especially since I already can get gigs of data space for free with my unlimited data. I want my native IM app back. That's all.
I can buy that, I see your point, good luck.
__________________
MacPro Waste Basket 12 Core, Macbook Pro 15" RD
iPhone 5s - iPhone Gen1 - iPod Gen1 - iPad Gen1
ATV - Time Capsule - BlackMagic - RED - Arri - FCPX
DA42 - BE G58
megfilmworks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2007, 10:26 PM   #10
carfac
macrumors 65816
 
carfac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by megfilmworks View Post
Save yourself all the time wasted on worrying about updates and wait for the widgets! They'll work better and you won't have to spend half your life fixing your iPhone.
When there is a widget to make my t-mo sim work, I may just do that.
carfac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2007, 12:50 AM   #11
pedroistheman
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
it would be awesome to have 3rd party apps on the ipod touch. one of the few drawbacks (besides no EDGE) of the touch is the missing mail app. can't wait for a reliable hack.
pedroistheman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2007, 01:45 AM   #12
aaarrrgggh
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by megfilmworks View Post
Been to that thread, its more fun bugging all you wacko hackos.
Seriously, is it really worth all the time to get some silly little app on your iPhone? Or unlock it so you can go with another rip off carrier?
There are certain basic functions that many of us find ourselves without that prevent the iPhone from being a complete device. For me, it is a functional calculator that I can use without a network connection. There is a bookmarklet version that is almost viable, but painful to use. The lack of this basic (for me) functionality necessitates me to bring my big ass HP 50G with me. Sometimes I just need a square root... sometimes a cosine... but without these I have to guess at the numbers. Sad, seeing as I have a little computer in my pocket that could easily process the information.

Unlocking is a different story than 3rd party apps. There are specific situations where I can understand people wanting to be able to pop in a T-Mobile SIM card in the US where it doesn't hurt AT&T and Apple through their agreement. These are pretty rare, but they do exist. Consumer preference doesn't count on this one...

But, for people that travel internationally, the picture is much different. Roaming rates are absurd, especially for data. Purchasing a local pre-paid SIM is the only viable way to stay in touch when abroad. Having to buy an extra phone that works on the local network is an insult... especially when that substitute phone can't match the functionality of the phone you already own.

([RANT]I paid a lot of money for an international roaming plan for my Blackberry that didn't work. When it didn't work, Cingular wasn't working to help me out-- I would spend hours with no resolution on the phone. The solution to my problems was simple... let me use a local SIM card. This was impossible for them to permit though; even though they would let me unlock the phone, I needed a blackberry plan on my SIM for the phone to be functional for any data services. This is what has made me want to desperately avoid a blackberry for years, and I thought the iPhone would be my salvation. The reality is that is just isn't as well executed of a lock-in plan...[/RANT])

Apple and AT&T need to get with the current century and stop trying to lock their customers into services they can't provide.
aaarrrgggh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2007, 04:40 AM   #13
appleguru1
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Send a message via AIM to appleguru1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedroistheman View Post
it would be awesome to have 3rd party apps on the ipod touch. one of the few drawbacks (besides no EDGE) of the touch is the missing mail app. can't wait for a reliable hack.
The iPhone 1.1.1 Mail works lovely on the touch once you jailbreak it...

You just need to put the GMM.framework into /System/Library/Frameworks (you need this for google maps too), and MobileMailSettings.bundle in the /System/Library/PreferenceBundles/

Jailbreaking is currently still a bit of an involved process, and you need to use the tiff exploit for the touch, but on the plus side you only need to do it once

(FWIW, i don't own a touch, but I helped a friend jailbreak his yesterday )
appleguru1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2007, 08:33 AM   #14
PDE
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post
There are certain basic functions that many of us find ourselves without that prevent the iPhone from being a complete device. For me, it is a functional calculator that I can use without a network connection. There is a bookmarklet version that is almost viable, but painful to use. The lack of this basic (for me) functionality necessitates me to bring my big ass HP 50G with me. Sometimes I just need a square root... sometimes a cosine... but without these I have to guess at the numbers. Sad, seeing as I have a little computer in my pocket that could easily process the information.

Unlocking is a different story than 3rd party apps. There are specific situations where I can understand people wanting to be able to pop in a T-Mobile SIM card in the US where it doesn't hurt AT&T and Apple through their agreement. These are pretty rare, but they do exist. Consumer preference doesn't count on this one...

But, for people that travel internationally, the picture is much different. Roaming rates are absurd, especially for data. Purchasing a local pre-paid SIM is the only viable way to stay in touch when abroad. Having to buy an extra phone that works on the local network is an insult... especially when that substitute phone can't match the functionality of the phone you already own.

([RANT]I paid a lot of money for an international roaming plan for my Blackberry that didn't work. When it didn't work, Cingular wasn't working to help me out-- I would spend hours with no resolution on the phone. The solution to my problems was simple... let me use a local SIM card. This was impossible for them to permit though; even though they would let me unlock the phone, I needed a blackberry plan on my SIM for the phone to be functional for any data services. This is what has made me want to desperately avoid a blackberry for years, and I thought the iPhone would be my salvation. The reality is that is just isn't as well executed of a lock-in plan...[/RANT])

Apple and AT&T need to get with the current century and stop trying to lock their customers into services they can't provide.
very well said!
PDE is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2007, 07:44 PM   #15
Littleodie914
macrumors 68000
 
Littleodie914's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Rochester, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleguru1 View Post
The iPhone 1.1.1 Mail works lovely on the touch once you jailbreak it...

You just need to put the GMM.framework into /System/Library/Frameworks (you need this for google maps too), and MobileMailSettings.bundle in the /System/Library/PreferenceBundles/

Jailbreaking is currently still a bit of an involved process, and you need to use the tiff exploit for the touch, but on the plus side you only need to do it once

(FWIW, i don't own a touch, but I helped a friend jailbreak his yesterday )
How did you get the apps to show up on your main menu? I added them to the /Applications directory of the DMG you move over, and made them executable, but my main menu looks the same as it always does.

*But, my calendar does now have the plus button, so that app must have installed correctly.

Edit: Fixed it, sorry to thread clog.

Last edited by Littleodie914; Oct 13, 2007 at 08:21 PM.
Littleodie914 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2008, 02:49 PM   #16
iDagreed
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: this country, what were you expecting, the moon?
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleguru1 View Post
Jailbreaking is currently still a bit of an involved process, and you need to use the tiff exploit for the touch, but on the plus side you only need to do it once
Indeed, i tried to jailbreak mine, and ended up booting it from the beginning. It was really frustrating and kinda scary since my touch is only 2 days old.
__________________
iBoot uR iMac
iDagreed is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What Steve Jobs originally thought about 3rd party apps on the iPhone Rogifan Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion 17 Apr 9, 2014 02:39 AM
3rd party apps can't use in Apple TV Cyndinaka Apple TV and Home Theater 3 Sep 12, 2013 10:36 AM
3rd party apps crashing m5324 iOS 7 4 Jul 26, 2013 04:20 PM
How are 3rd party apps on iOS 7? Mjmar iOS 7 7 Jun 11, 2013 08:43 PM
Why can't I email from 3rd party apps? cuzo iOS 6 1 Feb 20, 2013 11:00 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:24 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC