Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Oct 13, 2007, 04:20 PM   #1
DIB1952
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Norwegian lettters on an English keyboard?

I am appalled at the price of mac books etc in Norway and are looking at alternative purchasing options. I already can save a packet by buying in my native country England but there is one drawback.Although most of my document writing is in English there are rare occasions where I need to write in Norwegian (I am resident in Norway). All very well you may say - what's the big deal? The big deal is quite simply that the Norwegian language has 3 letters not found in the English language (//) and hence not to be found on a regular English/American English keyboard. Is there a simple relatively cheap way to get my intended English Mac book keyboard to write these 3 Norwegian alphabet letters?

Await any responses with interest - thanks
DIB1952 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2007, 04:36 PM   #2
Allanist
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
I don't have US/english keyboard to try, but I think alt-a=, alt-o=, alt-'=.
I also think that if you choose norwegian layout from System Preferences, it will work just fine, except the keys don't have correct labels.
Allanist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2007, 05:18 PM   #3
DIB1952
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allanist View Post
I don't have US/english keyboard to try, but I think alt-a=, alt-o=, alt-'=.
I also think that if you choose norwegian layout from System Preferences, it will work just fine, except the keys don't have correct labels.
Thanks a lot. I will give your suggestion a try on an English keyboard. You might have just saved me a large sum of money.
DIB1952 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2007, 06:21 PM   #4
nightelf
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
I can confirm that those key-combinations work on my US English MBP.

You don't need to change the layout of your keyboard, just type them.
nightelf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2007, 07:39 PM   #5
DIB1952
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightelf View Post
I can confirm that those key-combinations work on my US English MBP.

You don't need to change the layout of your keyboard, just type them.
Thanks for your help. It seems to be getting by the minute
DIB1952 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2007, 08:14 PM   #6
pixelbaker
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
if that's too cumbersome messing with alt-keys etc... maybe just buy a norwegian alphabet keyboard and hook it up via USB?
pixelbaker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2009, 07:17 PM   #7
irene barker
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Red face Norwegian Alphabet.

i tryed what you said to do to get the three norwegian letters to work on the english keyboard, but it woulod not work
could you exsplain that procedure a little better.
irene barker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2009, 10:44 PM   #8
alphaod
macrumors Core
 
alphaod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: 上海 (Shanghai)
If you know the Norwegian keyboard by heart, you can just remap the keyboard in the International section where you choose the input language.
__________________
Mac Pro | Mac mini | 15" MacBook Pro | iPad Air | iPhone 6
alphaod is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2009, 05:15 AM   #9
pesc
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Sorry, I have a Swedish system and I don't know the english terms in the menus, but I'll try to explain anyway...

Go to System Preferences. Choose International.
Click on the third tab (Input data menu?).

Check the second box for showing the keyboard menu.

Now you will have a new menu on the top of your screen. With a flag?

In this menu you have an option to show the keyboard on the screen.

The orange keys shown are combining keys. Press one to see how the normal keys change.

Press the ALT and/or SHIFT key to see what letters you get.
pesc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2009, 06:00 AM   #10
4np
macrumors 6502a
 
4np's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: The Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allanist View Post
I don't have US/english keyboard to try, but I think alt-a=, alt-o=, alt-'=.
I also think that if you choose norwegian layout from System Preferences, it will work just fine, except the keys don't have correct labels.
On my Dutch keyboard the keyboard combinations are:

alt-a =
alt-o =
alt-' =

And other combinations are possible as well, like:

alt-u, then e, o, i, etc = , , , etc
alt-i, then e, o, i, etc = , , , etc
alt-e, then e, o, i, etc = , , , etc
alt-`, then e, o, i, etc = , , , etc
alt-c =
alt-n, then n =
alt-m =
alt-x = ≈
alt-s =
alt-d = ∂
alt-f =

etcetera etcetera...

And this is usefull as well:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 2.png
Views:	202
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	159634  
4np is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2009, 06:29 AM   #11
alexanter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIB1952 View Post
I am appalled at the price of mac books etc in Norway and are looking at alternative purchasing options. I already can save a packet by buying in my native country England but there is one drawback.Although most of my document writing is in English there are rare occasions where I need to write in Norwegian (I am resident in Norway). All very well you may say - what's the big deal? The big deal is quite simply that the Norwegian language has 3 letters not found in the English language (//) and hence not to be found on a regular English/American English keyboard. Is there a simple relatively cheap way to get my intended English Mac book keyboard to write these 3 Norwegian alphabet letters?

Await any responses with interest - thanks
you can buy the mbp with english keyboard and then buy an external wireless one with the Norwegian characters from the apple store uk.
alexanter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2009, 08:07 AM   #12
Tex-Twil
macrumors 68020
 
Tex-Twil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Europe
I have a US keyboard and I'm quite often writing in French. I have a really cool widget which shows me all the shortcuts for inserting special characters. I'll tell you the name when I'm back home.

Tex
Tex-Twil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2009, 08:10 AM   #13
arkitect
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex-Twil View Post
I have a US keyboard and I'm quite often writing in French. I have a really cool widget which shows me all the shortcuts for inserting special characters. I'll tell you the name when I'm back home.

Tex
Characterpal, perhaps?

I find the keyboard shortcuts pretty easy to use though.
arkitect is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2009, 09:19 AM   #14
Tex-Twil
macrumors 68020
 
Tex-Twil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Europe
Quote:
Originally Posted by arkitect View Post
Characterpal, perhaps?

I find the keyboard shortcuts pretty easy to use though.
Yep that the one. I also remember the ones I use often quite well but since I also write sometimes in German and Czech, I can have a look at glance an the ones that I don't know

T.
Tex-Twil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2009, 09:29 AM   #15
poozer115
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
While we're on the topic I can get accent agu and accent grave to work, but circumflex never works (french accents here). Anyone know the key comb for circumflex? (in case you dont know, it's the a with the little hat on top)
poozer115 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2009, 10:21 AM   #16
4np
macrumors 6502a
 
4np's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: The Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by poozer115 View Post
While we're on the topic I can get accent agu and accent grave to work, but circumflex never works (french accents here). Anyone know the key comb for circumflex? (in case you dont know, it's the a with the little hat on top)
see my reply 5 posts up....

alt-i, then a -->
4np is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How do I change my iPhone keyboard from English US to English UK? StressedSnowCat iOS 7 23 Oct 7, 2014 08:03 AM
I have an "English Intl" Keyboard, should I choose UK or US keyboard? (OS X Install) StressedSnowCat OS X 4 Nov 6, 2013 12:14 PM
English keyboard in Apple Store Montreal litchii MacBook Pro 7 Apr 24, 2013 09:38 AM
Keyboard Layout: English USA vs. English International - Which Do You Prefer? macNewbie02 MacBook Pro 14 Jun 22, 2012 12:43 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:53 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC