Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FireArse

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2004
Hi guys,

I know the Apple spec for RAM in the 12 PB is 1.25GB, but has anyone tried putting a 2GB stick of RAM in the slot?

The reason I ask, is because Apple say the iMac G4 (lampshade) supprts X amount of RAM, but in fact can have more when you upgrade the internal ram slot.

Any chance Apple can be wrong about this too?

Can I get a 100% 'No' from anyone who's tried it?

Thanks,

F

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Hi guys,

I know the Apple spec for RAM in the 12 PB is 1.25GB, but has anyone tried putting a 2GB stick of RAM in the slot?

The reason I ask, is because Apple say the iMac G4 (lampshade) supprts X amount of RAM, but in fact can have more when you upgrade the internal ram slot.

Any chance Apple can be wrong about this too?

Can I get a 100% 'No' from anyone who's tried it?

Thanks,

F

I haven't tried it but I do know that upgrading the RAM slot on the 12" PB is going to be difficult if not impossible since it is hard wired into the logic board. And I don't think the PowerPC processor in the machine could recognize the faster bus speed RAM chip, let alone any amount of RAM passed 2GBs.

FireArse

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2004
In-built RAM

I know 256MB is soldered on - but I hoped I could put in a 2GB stick to make a total of 2.25GB.

Any more ideas?

F

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I know 256MB is soldered on - but I hoped I could put in a 2GB stick to make a total of 2.25GB.

Any more ideas?

F

The 256 is soldered on, but the other memory slot, the one that can only take 333MHz RAM modules, is soldered onto the logic board as well. I don't think they make 2GB RAM modules for that size slot anyway, if they do you could try it out, but I think the bus speed, the processor's max RAM cap, and the board's limitations will be a problem. I am no expert on what makes the 12" PB tick, but I know the bus speed being at 333MHz and the size of the 2GB chips being made these days may present a problem.

booksacool1

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2004
Australia
As far as i'm aware, 2GB DDR SODIMM's don't exist.
Even if they did, the laptop probably couldn't handle the chip density or address all the ram.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I'm pretty sure the last 12" used 333. There are 2GB DDR SODIMMS but not PC-2700. I don't think even a PC-5300 would work, even if it was clocked down.

Mmm, I don't think so. The iBook got updated to go to 1.5GB of memory (512 + 1GB, still PC2700), but when the DL SD powerbooks came out, AFAIK, the 12" was not included in the round of updates. So this was the last 12"...

But either way, no to the 2.25GB.... If you really need that much memory, it's time to get a new Mac. Besides which, memory for these Macs is getting expensive.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4

FireArse

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2004
So my biggest hurdle seems...

...to be getting hold of a 2GB RAM chip that meets or exceeds the spec required by the 12' PB.

Where's CanadaRam when you need him / her?! This whole idea came about when I saw one could buy a 2GB RAM stick for the Intel 2.2/2.4 SR C2D. Wondered whether there might be an option for the 12PB (which is still my dream :apple: unit)

If I were to find a chip that ran at faster than PC2700, could I try pop it in? Would the RAM then slow down for the logic board?

As you can tell, I have no clue how RAM works!

Thanks for all your time guys,

FireArse

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
If I were to find a chip that ran at faster than PC2700, could I try pop it in? Would the RAM then slow down for the logic board?

No... I don't think you get it. The memory modules after PC2700 are physically different from PC2100/2700. There're 2GB modules for the slot in the Macbook and the MBP, but not for the slot in the Powerbook. Actually there don't even seem to be ones for the PC2-4200 slot in the 15/17" last gen powerbooks.

As far as any of us know, no one manufactures a 2GB module that will fit in that slot. Which is very consistent with the fact that no one sells a notebook that could use it. I'd give it up if I were you.

scmacdaddy

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2002
LA
i was really hoping this would work too. i am not upgrading my 12" powerbook until apple releases another 12" or smaller notebook. i'm not sure if my pb can handle leopard very well with 1.25 gb ram and a 1.5ghz g4. i upgraded to the pb because my ibook g3 couldn't handle the new OS, even though it met the spec reqs.

lord patton

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Chicago
i was really hoping this would work too. i am not upgrading my 12" powerbook until apple releases another 12" or smaller notebook. i'm not sure if my pb can handle leopard very well with 1.25 gb ram and a 1.5ghz g4. i upgraded to the pb because my ibook g3 couldn't handle the new OS, even though it met the spec reqs.

Well, I just upgraded my 12 incher to 1.25 GB RAM (and a bigger hard drive) with the sole purpose of driving leopard for a year or two, so I hope you're wrong :p We'll find out soon, though, won't we?

The 12" PB is great though, innit? My wife, when told of my plans to upgrade, said why don't you just get a new one... well, Apple doesn't make a laptop that I'd want to replace it with, that's why!

scmacdaddy

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2002
LA
Well, I just upgraded my 12 incher to 1.25 GB RAM (and a bigger hard drive) with the sole purpose of driving leopard for a year or two, so I hope you're wrong :p We'll find out soon, though, won't we?

The 12" PB is great though, innit? My wife, when told of my plans to upgrade, said why don't you just get a new one... well, Apple doesn't make a laptop that I'd want to replace it with, that's why!

have you installed leopard yet? anyone install on a 12" powerbook g4?

FireArse

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2004
woohoo

No. It'll never happen. There are no suitable modules, and the hardware memory controller in the PB could not count that high even if there were.

The 'RAM' has spoken - if he / she says it ain't gonna happen, 'nuff said.

Still, would be real cool running Leopard on a 12 PB with a Flash HDD and 2.25GB of RAM. God Apple, please make me a 12 MPB!

FireArse

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.