Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

knoebelsPT

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2005
Hi everyone,

I hope I can get some help for a bizarre problem I'm having with my iBook G4 (1.2ghz). When I first got the machine (2004) I put in a 256mb Crucial stick and never had a problem.

Recently (last 2 months?) I've noticed that a big slowdown so on a whim I checked my "About this Mac" and sure enough it only lists the stock 256mb.

Is it possible for the added RAM to have just plopped out? Something else going on?

Thanks!

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Well, it's kinda possible that a sudden jolt may have unhinged it. Alternatively, the chip or even the slot could have fried. Maybe open her up and try re-seating the chip. :)

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
I'm going to guess that the RAM was marginally installed in the first place.

The #1 problem on all iBooks and powerbooks is not fully inserting the contact edge of the SODIMM into the socket.

When you install the RAM, you push the contact edge into the socket with the RAM module held at a 30 - 45 degree angle. You have to get both thumbs on the long edge of the module and push firmly to make sure the contacts are fully engaged, BEFORE you swivel the RAM down to the flat position. There should be none, or very little, of the gold contacts remaining showing. If you see more than 1mm of contacts, or if the edge is not parallel to the socket edge, then take it right out and try again. You CANNOT push the pins in when it is flat. Also, the fact that the clips 'click' into place is not an indication that the contacts are seated.

knoebelsPT

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 13, 2005
Thanks for the advice everyone. I re-inserted the RAM, but it still doesn't recognize it. It has been working for 3+ years so I'm inclined to think it was in there pretty tight.

I'll just have to assume that it's dead. Oh well... I'll just have to get that MBP sooner rather than later :)

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
See if you can borrow another RAM SODIMM to try out. Socket failure is rare. If it is the RAM, then Crucial should replace it for free, you may be able to talk them into an upgrade to a 512 as well, because your shipping cost is going to make it close to the value of a 256

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.