Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Oct 13, 2007, 11:28 PM   #1
wiezzer
macrumors newbie

Dropped iPhone in water!

Damn! Complete accident! I had my iphone in my top pocket at bent over the sink and the phone fell in. I quickly dried it and tried to turn it off but it wouldn't. It just kept saying something about this adapter will not work with the iphone. I tried to restart by holding down home and top button and it finally restarted. However, now the whole bottom half of the screen is not sensitive to touch. Once the phone locks I can't do anything. I can only answer calls by using my bluetooth headset to answer. I heard some stuff about Apple knowing if has been damaged by checking a water sensor. Does anyone know this to be true? Man, accidents happen and I just really don't want to have to pay for a whole new phone.
wiezzer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2007, 11:34 PM   #2
Sun Baked
macrumors G5

could you post a picture of the iPhone sensor after it has changed color.
Old Oct 13, 2007, 11:38 PM   #3
arn
macrumors god

Send a message via AIM to arn
yeah, seriously, did this change color?

http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2007...nd-ipod-touch/

arn
arn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2007, 11:38 PM   #4
wakka092
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiezzer View Post
Damn! Complete accident! I had my iphone in my top pocket at bent over the sink and the phone fell in. I quickly dried it and tried to turn it off but it wouldn't. It just kept saying something about this adapter will not work with the iphone. I tried to restart by holding down home and top button and it finally restarted. However, now the whole bottom half of the screen is not sensitive to touch. Once the phone locks I can't do anything. I can only answer calls by using my bluetooth headset to answer. I heard some stuff about Apple knowing if has been damaged by checking a water sensor. Does anyone know this to be true? Man, accidents happen and I just really don't want to have to pay for a whole new phone.
Sorry to hear about that! This happened to me a week ago..

First, dry out the Dock Connector on the bottom VERY well. Second, hehe, my iPhone got in a infinite loop of turning on and off, so I gently tapped it on the table and that stopped. Now the screen, water must have gotten deep inside the phone. For a while on my iphone the headphone didnt work because the headphone/lock switch is one assembl, so see if your headphones work. And my headphone jack is half pink and half white in the bottom.

Hope things get better.
wakka092 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2007, 11:41 PM   #5
wiezzer
macrumors newbie

Yup, the sensor does look different from the pic that guy posted. I am will upload the pic in a few. The sensor is half red half white.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakka092 View Post
Sorry to hear about that! This happened to me a week ago..

First, dry out the Dock Connector on the bottom VERY well. Second, hehe, my iPhone got in a infinite loop of turning on and off, so I gently tapped it on the table and that stopped. Now the screen, water must have gotten deep inside the phone. For a while on my iphone the headphone didnt work because the headphone/lock switch is one assembl, so see if your headphones work. And my headphone jack is half pink and half white in the bottom.

Hope things get better.
Mine did the same thing with the loop of turning on and off, never staying off. The only thing that stops it is if I plug it in. Then it will go to the main screen, but of course I can't unlock because of bottom half of the screen not being sensitive to touch. Did your phone work right away after you got it to stop looping?

Last edited by devilot; Oct 14, 2007 at 12:34 AM. Reason: Merged consecutive posts; PLEASE use "Edit" and/or "Multi-Quote"
Old Oct 13, 2007, 11:47 PM   #6
psycoswimmer
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Yup, the sensor does look different from the pic that guy posted. I am will upload the pic in a few. The sensor is half red half white.
Yup, that's exactly what will happen to it. It was posted on a website linked on the iPhone Blog.
psycoswimmer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2007, 12:21 AM   #7
wakka092
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Mine did the same thing with the loop of turning on and off, never staying off. The only thing that stops it is if I plug it in. Then it will go to the main screen, but of course I can't unlock because of bottom half of the screen not being sensitive to touch. Did your phone work right away after you got it to stop looping?
Yes it did work after that, but unlike you, my screen still worked.. Sorry

Water sensor pic attached!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iphone 004.jpg
Views:	6622
Size:	381.9 KB
ID:	87356  
wakka092 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2007, 12:43 AM   #8
ivi7
macrumors 6502a

I am going to keep my iPhone away from water. The sensor freaks me out.
ivi7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2007, 12:50 AM   #9
wiezzer
macrumors newbie

sensor pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00866.JPG
Views:	1959
Size:	1,009.1 KB
ID:	87360   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00862.JPG
Views:	1654
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	87361  
Old Oct 14, 2007, 09:16 AM   #10
psycoswimmer
macrumors 65816

Is there any way that red spot could be covered up? It's probably possible, but could void your warranty all the same.
psycoswimmer is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2007, 10:38 AM   #11
EvryDayImShufln
macrumors 65816

A little bit of liquid paper on a toothpick.. maybe u can turn the sensor white again
EvryDayImShufln is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2007, 01:03 AM   #12
sPAULj
macrumors member

I know this is ate in the conversation, but I once had a sensor go on me and a dab of bleach made it go white.... you might try that and then take it into an apple store.
sPAULj is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2007, 03:01 AM   #13
skierdb526
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to skierdb526
or if its a corrosive thing pick up some rust remover and use sparingly around the abused area. It did charms for me with my samsung after being left in the rain well in taco bell. I returned it without those verizon punks noticing a thing.
skierdb526 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2007, 08:18 PM   #14
aferrar
macrumors newbie

I actually just went through a similar iphone hell this week, but fortunately thanks to everyones help it worked out. I was at a party on Saturday night where I got a little intoxicated and somehow tripped into an unlit jacuzzi. I immediately hopped right out and searched my pockets to find my soaked iphone which had turned off while under water. I handed it to someone who went inside and dried it off as well as they could. I instinctively tried to turn it back on and it was unresponsive. I then laid it down and went to sleep, the next morning I went online and read about what methods I should use to have a chance at it working again. I then removed the sim card tray and left the phone in front of a fan for two days. I then intermittently set it on a towel on top of my toaster oven set at about 170 degrees until it got pretty warm and then I would turn the toaster off. Over night I set it on top of my computer which kept it pretty warm as well. I also left it overnight in the upright position in order for the water to drain out. I also left it in a bowl of rice at one point just to try every method out. Today I finally plugged it back into my computer and everything came back on fine. The only thing is that at the top of my screen there is a small area where it is slightly lighter black than everywhere else, but barely noticeable. Thanks a lot everyone!!! P.S.-I will no longer carry my phone around any body of water while I am drunk, I promise.
aferrar is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2007, 08:26 PM   #15
Luis
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to Luis
This happened to my dad, the iPhone was submerged for 5 full minuted but it survived without any damage, I am sorry yours didn't..

What we did after taking it out of the water was to blow the dock and headphone jack with compressed air and after that put the iphone in a room with a de-humidifier all night. ultimately it was allright.

And yes, the sensor did change red, but not like a red drop but the whole sensor.
the crownless again shall be King.
Luis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2007, 09:10 PM   #16
ModifiedReality
macrumors newbie

I hate how cell phone have water sensors. They knew I was full of it when "I don't know why it stopped working". Lol, didn't want to tell them I was drunk and it fell in the toilet.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 09:27 PM   #17
Drumjim85
macrumors 68020

Quote:
sensor pics
so I'm confused. Does that mean it IS pregnant or it ISNT pregnant?
Drumjim85 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2007, 04:07 PM   #18
aferrar
macrumors newbie

This sucks

Well i thought that I was in the clear, but now my phone is acting up. After I let it dry for 5 days, it worked fine and then all of a sudden started acting funny. I can only turn it on by plugging it in, and once I unplug it I only have about a minute where I can push the top button and have the screen turn on. After that, I can still receive calls and everything, but I cannot just turn the screen on and make a call or anything. I have restored it and nothing happened. When I took it to the apple store, the guy said that all he could do is swap it out for $250!!!. Considering that I paid $299 for it, I'm not sure what I should do. HELP!!!
aferrar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2007, 05:04 PM   #19
question fear
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to question fear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumjim85 View Post
so I'm confused. Does that mean it IS pregnant or it ISNT pregnant?
It means that iphone met another iphone, and neither of them had cases on, so they're expecting a bouncing baby iphone nano.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 09:16 AM   #20
badLuck
macrumors newbie

my IPhone took a Dip in my ****

on the hope that it will work after drying but i gona go crazy
badLuck is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2008, 10:22 AM   #21
meagain
macrumors 68020

My husband dropped the phone in the kitchen, it bounced off the floor and into the cat's waterbowl. It did some funky things (colors on screen), etc. then wouldn't shut off, etc. Later it looked & acted pristine but the battery runs down. At full charge with non-use, it'll go down to 70 or 50% in 30-45 minutes.

I restored it for him but no dice. I took a flashlight to his/my phones and I can't see any pink on his indicator. I'm still hopeful today will find it working but it's been about 5 days now.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 11:47 AM   #22
bstpierre
macrumors 6502

My wife dropped her (non-iPhone) cell phone in the toilet at work a few years ago. It was right after a flush so she fished it out and immediately tried to turn it on. She then proceeded to buy a new one. When I got home from work I set her old phone on the heat duct (it was winter so heat was coming out) and left there for a couple of days. After that it was fine. I moved my number over (since it was newer then mine) and used the "toilet phone" until I upgraded to a Palm Treo. I know of others who got limited use of their cell phone after washing.

I would recommend subjecting the phone to low heat for a while to give the water a chance to evaporate (I like the toaster oven suggestion above but be careful). There is no accounting for corrosion though (which the heat will excellerate). The trick is to get the water evaporated and then the vapor out of the phone so it doesn't condensate. Good luck.

I wonder if there is a way to make that sensor water proof before any accidents occur?
bstpierre is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2008, 11:52 AM   #23
meagain
macrumors 68020

Right - I've always wanted a plug for the headphone port as it's worried me a bit for dust/debris, etc. There must be something (rubber) commonly available that'll fit them. I'm going to search around for this.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 12:09 PM   #24
AJsAWiz
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to AJsAWiz
I don't understand how so many people are dropping their iPhones into water.
I guess, it's hard for me to imagine as I've never dropped an electronic device of any kind in water.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 08:40 PM   #25
slbjr
macrumors newbie

Talking What worked for me...

I dropped my iphone in a toilet (yes, not good). I grabbed it within a few seconds but there was already water under the screen, phone shorting out, could not turn off, screen did not respond.

I took out the sim card, shook the phone in a towel, dried it with a hair dryer (not too hot), and then cooked it in the oven. Seriously!

I took a small baking pan, but about an inch of rice in the bottom to insulate the phone from the direct heat, and cooked it for 8 hours total at about 130 degrees. The phone works fine now! No trace of water except for the red half of the water sensor lit up (half white/half red now).

I hope you have my luck - and keep it away from water! I recommend turning it off if it will respond before you cook it, but I didn't have that option.
slbjr is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting