Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Oct 14, 2007, 11:27 AM   #1
justinlt99
macrumors newbie

How to set files as Hidden/Unhidden

Okay, I know how to set OSX to let you view the hidden files on your hard drive. However, what I can not figure out is how to actually change these files to be "unhidden" once you have them viewable. Anyone know what to do?
justinlt99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2007, 12:15 PM   #2
macjack1
macrumors regular

Launch Utilities/Termimal and enter:
Code:
defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES
press enter

When you no longer want it visible, write:

Code:
defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles NO
press enter

It is better to use an encrypted folder for this.

EDIT: Or are you referring to something like this topic support topic?

There is also this GUI,"Unhide Utility", which may be more to your liking. I have not used it myself so cannot recommend it.

-mj

-mj

Last edited by macjack1; Oct 14, 2007 at 12:28 PM.
macjack1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2007, 12:41 PM   #3
justinlt99
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macjack1 View Post
Launch Utilities/Termimal and enter:
Code:
defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES
press enter

When you no longer want it visible, write:

Code:
defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles NO
press enter

It is better to use an encrypted folder for this.

EDIT: Or are you referring to something like this topic support topic?

There is also this GUI,"Unhide Utility", which may be more to your liking. I have not used it myself so cannot recommend it.

-mj

-mj
I'm not talking about making it visible --- I know how to do that. I mean to change the actual status of the file so that it is no longer physically a hidden/invisible file.
justinlt99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2007, 02:13 PM   #4
macjack1
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinlt99 View Post
I mean to change the actual status of the file so that it is no longer physically a hidden/invisible file.
I believe you can use Developer Tools for that if they are installed: /Developer/Tools/SetFile -a V /Users/~/filename

-mj
macjack1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2010, 06:59 PM   #5
eah2119
macrumors regular

I used this command and I found my deleted files and where my Trash is actually located on my HD. In my home folder is a hidden file named ".Trash". I was curious, what happens if I delete the ".Trash" file and send it to the Trash? Is this possible? Will my system crash? What happens? lol I don't want to do it myself and possibly risk permanently deleting my Trash.
eah2119 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2010, 07:22 PM   #6
upaymeifixit
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by eah2119 View Post
I used this command and I found my deleted files and where my Trash is actually located on my HD. In my home folder is a hidden file named ".Trash". I was curious, what happens if I delete the ".Trash" file and send it to the Trash? Is this possible? Will my system crash? What happens? lol I don't want to do it myself and possibly risk permanently deleting my Trash.
I've done this before accidentally. I think I typed in: sudo rm ~/.Trash or something like that. I found out all it does is sends it to the /.Trashes folder that every volume has on it. That folder is then rebuilt when you log in (I restarted). Now I think I've deleted the /.Trashes folder before, but I don't really remember.

I have a question. What is -rf for? (Often seen in sudo rm -rf *dir*)
upaymeifixit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2010, 08:49 PM   #7
mac2x
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by macjack1 View Post
I believe you can use Developer Tools for that if they are installed: /Developer/Tools/SetFile -a V /Users/~/filename

-mj
?

All one needs to do is use Terminal to remove the "." that is in front of hidden files.

To use my bash_profile file (a commonly accessed hidden file for some) for example:

Code:
$ pwd
/Users/MyUsername
$ ls -a
.bash_profile
$ mv .bash_profile bash_profile
$ ls 
bash_profile

Gaming Rig | Core i7-2600K | 16 GB RAM | 160 GB OCZ Agility 2 | EVGA GTX 770 SC | Windows 7 Pro x64 | ASUS VG248QE
mac2x is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2010, 09:12 PM   #8
angelwatt
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac2x View Post
All one needs to do is use Terminal to remove the "." that is in front of hidden files.
Some files/folders are hidden without them having a dot in front of their name, such as /var/. Also, when you already know the name of the file, you can directly access it anyways without renaming it, e.g., open -t .profile

Quote:
Originally Posted by upaymeifixit
I have a question. What is -rf for? (Often seen in sudo rm -rf *dir*)
The -r is for recursive, the -f for force (no confirmation). Type in "man rm" for more details.
angelwatt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2011, 07:10 AM   #9
MACaRHOni
macrumors newbie

Still unanswered...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinlt99 View Post
Okay, I know how to set OSX to let you view the hidden files on your hard drive. However, what I can not figure out is how to actually change these files to be "unhidden" once you have them viewable. Anyone know what to do?
This is a great question, and it hasn't been entirely answered. If you set a file to "hidden," how do you undo such an action?

Part Two of my question gets even trickier: On my old PC, I made a few photos hidden. (Let your minds wander.) When I transfered all my photos to my beautiful new MacBook, they remained hidden. If I use Terminal commands to view them, they become visible; however, they remain hidden files. So although I can see them as faded photo icons, they can not be "unhidden" like the rest of my photos. How do I fix this mess and set these PC-hidden photos to be completely visible at all times?

And please, everybody, understand that "hidden" is NOT the same as "invisible." My PC photos are hidden files that are invisible; Terminal commands make them visible; I want the file to be unhidden.

Thanks for the help, iFriends!
MACaRHOni is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2011, 09:08 AM   #10
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4

Terminal to the rescue again.
Code:
chflags hidden /path/to/file.ext
... will hide a file (no developer tools required)
Code:
chflags nohidden /path/to/file.ext
... will unhide a file (no developer tools required either).
Old Jul 30, 2011, 01:14 AM   #11
MACaRHOni
macrumors newbie

Can you be a bit more specific with what I need to plug into the equation, wrldwzrd89? I'm a bit dumb with computer language.

Let's say, for example, that the photo can be found in the folder called "July 2011", which is in the larger folder called "College," which is finally sorted under the main Mac folder called "Pictures." We'll say the file name is "Crazy Night Downtown 023."
MACaRHOni is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2011, 01:35 AM   #12
upaymeifixit
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACaRHOni View Post
Can you be a bit more specific with what I need to plug into the equation, wrldwzrd89? I'm a bit dumb with computer language.

Let's say, for example, that the photo can be found in the folder called "July 2011", which is in the larger folder called "College," which is finally sorted under the main Mac folder called "Pictures." We'll say the file name is "Crazy Night Downtown 023."
chflags hidden ~/Pictures/College/July\ 2011/Crazy\ Night\ Downtown\ 023.jpg
upaymeifixit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2011, 06:08 AM   #13
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by upaymeifixit View Post
chflags hidden ~/Pictures/College/July\ 2011/Crazy\ Night\ Downtown\ 023.jpg
You can also just drag & drop the file onto the Terminal window, assuming you can see it in the Finder, after typing the chflags nohidden (or chflags hidden) part, then a space.

Last edited by wrldwzrd89; Jul 30, 2011 at 06:09 AM. Reason: Delete stray emoticon and spelling fix
wrldwzrd89 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2014, 03:17 AM   #14
TwentyPeace
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrldwzrd89 View Post
You can also just drag & drop the file onto the Terminal window, assuming you can see it in the Finder, after typing the chflags nohidden (or chflags hidden) part, then a space.
You can drag and drop multiple files and folders. Terminal magic makes them Visible.
TwentyPeace is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X