Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XTRanger

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2007
im planning on going for a short road trip, and i know that a couple of my friends used their windows laptop as a gps system, by using a USB gps receiver and a software.

Have any of you tried it with the MBP? what software/receivers do you use/recommend?

excalibur313

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2003
Cambridge, MA
MacGPS Pro seems to be a favorite among many, and they have a list of gps recievers that work with their software. There are some really professional programs that do the same thing, but I forget their names and google searching is not ringing any bells.

DarkHeraldMage

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
MacGPS Pro seems to be a favorite among many, and they have a list of gps recievers that work with their software. There are some really professional programs that do the same thing, but I forget their names and google searching is not ringing any bells.

Ewww. I hope that's not the only one because all the screenshots on that site are horrendous. This is something I've been interested in for a while, so I'll definitely be looking around. I've heard that Google maps can sync up with a bluetooth device (at least on my BlackBerry it can, so I'd assume the actual site could somehow as well).

On that note, if anyone is going for a long drive they'd have to charge the laptop eventually; Apple's have long battery lives, but not infinite. Anyone have a good car adapter for the laptop they'd recommend?

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
On that note, if anyone is going for a long drive they'd have to charge the laptop eventually; Apple's have long battery lives, but not infinite. Anyone have a good car adapter for the laptop they'd recommend?

Since Apple hasn't licensed the MagSafe to anyone, there are no car adapters.

However, you can get a DC to AC power inverter (12v jack) and it will convert the power so you can plug your MBP adapter into that.

XTRanger

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2007

However, you can get a DC to AC power inverter (12v jack) and it will convert the power so you can plug your MBP adapter into that.

Yep, thats what I do... i have a power inverter by Targus that i use to power my MBP while in the car/on the road.

i use bootcamp on my laptop running XP sp2

and this from microsoft (well this is 2008 version, i have the older bigger one, but it works great)

http://www.microsoft.com/streets/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=001

...when im driving im not going to be useing the computer, so i dont mind it being in windows. just having the huge gps screen makes it really nice to barley have to glance at it.

How is Streets and Trips working out for you? is it good enough to be a navigational aid? I have heard some bad things about it... thats why im a little concerned...

gotzero

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2007
Mid-Atlantic, US
I use an inverter and streets and trips. I have been casually looking around to see if there is a software i can use in OSX, but other than normal GPS interface issues, i have no complaints.

Anyone know what else the MS receiver will wprk for?

XTRanger

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2007
I use an inverter and streets and trips. I have been casually looking around to see if there is a software i can use in OSX, but other than normal GPS interface issues, i have no complaints.

Anyone know what else the MS receiver will wprk for?

What version of streets and trips do you use? Is it enough to get you from one place to the other?

g2525

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2009

there is a car charger with magsafe i think its at 150 usd in the hypershop and its free if u buy a hypermac (external battery for mac)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.