Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Oct 15, 2007, 10:28 AM   #1
burnhamish
macrumors member

Adjust contrast/brightness of external display on MBP through graphics card?

Background: Just bought a MBP after YEARS of being a Windows user. I got to know my way around Windows and PCs pretty well. The last monitor I bought was a Samsung 970P LCD (DVI) with NO external buttons for brightness, contrast, geometry, etc. - everything is controlled through software called "Magictune". I accept full responsibility for a poor purchasing decision.

I attach this monitor, which works beautifully in general, to my MBP, and it works, except I have no control of brightness or contrast through the display properties in System Preferences- only the screen size and color depth. Samsung's Magictune application for Mac is not compatible with the graphics card in the MBP. The level II tech at Samsung suggested I try to control the monitor features from the graphics card, but he is only familiar with Windows/PC methods. Figures.

Being a Mac OS newbie, I need to know:

Can I go deeper into the graphics card properties and actually control brightness and contrast for the external display, better than I can through System Preferences? My last resort is to purchase a new monitor, but I would like to avoid that if possible.
burnhamish is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2007, 10:33 AM   #2
FJ218700
macrumors 68000

select "color" in the displays prefs and make a custom calibration to your liking.
Old Oct 15, 2007, 10:39 AM   #3
WildPalms
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJ218700 View Post
select "color" in the displays prefs and make a custom calibration to your liking.
...and select Advanced for even more goodies
Old Oct 15, 2007, 10:59 AM   #4
burnhamish
macrumors member

Custom Calibration

I was going to perform a custom calibration on the monitor, but stopped at the first step when it asks to adjust the brightness to "full" and the contrast until the square is black... realizing I cannot adjust those things. The square looks pretty dark, but there is still some distinction compared to the border.

Should I just proceed regardless? I have performed calibrations on my PCs with Adobe Gamma, and this seems like the same process.
Old Oct 15, 2007, 11:08 AM   #5
FJ218700
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnhamish View Post
I was going to perform a custom calibration on the monitor, but stopped at the first step when it asks to adjust the brightness to "full" and the contrast until the square is black... realizing I cannot adjust those things. The square looks pretty dark, but there is still some distinction compared to the border.

Should I just proceed regardless? I have performed calibrations on my PCs with Adobe Gamma, and this seems like the same process.
I generally disregard those instructions. I set it the best I can via the monitor controls, then use the custom calibration to make it better. The gamma adjustment in the first step is the most important IMO
Old Oct 15, 2007, 11:22 AM   #6
burnhamish
macrumors member

I suspected that any adjustment not handled adequately by the manual controls could be compensated for in the calibration, within reason.

In the event that I am not satisfied with this monitor in the end, I would probably get a new one, and bigger than 19". Are the Dell Ultrasharps really worth the praise I've seen in some other threads? I can't justify the cost of a 23" ACD, when the Dell 24" is so much less expensive (and pivots).

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help