Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Oct 15, 2007, 08:28 PM   #1
Jordan6
macrumors regular

iBook Dead, tranfer files....Firewire??

My iBook is fried, screen is faint but i can hear it running, must be logic board(no apple care)...i have a iMac(PPC).

How Can i transfer files from the iBook to iMac?
can i use a firewire, if so just any ol firewire??
Jordan6 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2007, 08:32 PM   #2
CRAZYBUBBA
macrumors 65816

Try taking out the RAM. It might just be the RAM.
CRAZYBUBBA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2007, 08:33 PM   #3
WildPalms
macrumors 65816

Does it boot up? Does an external display work? If you can boot it, and you want to get the files off it, hook it up to another Mac via Firewire, than boot the FryBook (tm) into Target mode. The FryBook should be mounted on the desktop of the other Mac and you will be able to transfer files across.

Info: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58583
Old Oct 15, 2007, 08:34 PM   #4
NicoleRichie
macrumors 6502

hook the laptop up with a firewire to you other computer (i am assuming its a mac). when you turn the laptop on after the lovely apple chime hold down the letter T on the laptop keyboard. This will place a firewire drive on the desktop of your computer that you want to transfer data from. Treat it as a external hard-drive from there. Google it or go to apple's website for more help.
NicoleRichie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2007, 08:35 PM   #5
emac82
macrumors 6502

Just plug a firewire cable from the iMac to the iBook and run Target Disk Mode...
Old Oct 15, 2007, 08:44 PM   #6
Jordan6
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildPalms View Post
Does it boot up? Does an external display work? If you can boot it, and you want to get the files off it, hook it up to another Mac via Firewire, than boot the FryBook (tm) into Target mode. The FryBook should be mounted on the desktop of the other Mac and you will be able to transfer files across.

Info: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58583
Yeah it Boots, and the display use to show the screen off and on now its just does not come on no more, it goes fromt pitch black its a light black(like its coming on but doesn't)..

Does it make a difference which firewire i get, because i noticed theres 6-4 pin, 6-6 pin, etc.
Jordan6 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2007, 10:29 PM   #7
NicoleRichie
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan6 View Post
Yeah it Boots, and the display use to show the screen off and on now its just does not come on no more, it goes fromt pitch black its a light black(like its coming on but doesn't)..

Does it make a difference which firewire i get, because i noticed theres 6-4 pin, 6-6 pin, etc.
6-6 if I am not mistaken
NicoleRichie is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs