Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jordan6

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2006
My iBook is fried, screen is faint but i can hear it running, must be logic board(no apple care)...i have a iMac(PPC).

How Can i transfer files from the iBook to iMac?
can i use a firewire, if so just any ol firewire??

NicoleRichie

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007
hook the laptop up with a firewire to you other computer (i am assuming its a mac). when you turn the laptop on after the lovely apple chime hold down the letter T on the laptop keyboard. This will place a firewire drive on the desktop of your computer that you want to transfer data from. Treat it as a external hard-drive from there. Google it or go to apple's website for more help.

Jordan6

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2006
Does it boot up? Does an external display work? If you can boot it, and you want to get the files off it, hook it up to another Mac via Firewire, than boot the FryBook (tm) into Target mode. The FryBook should be mounted on the desktop of the other Mac and you will be able to transfer files across.

Info: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58583

Yeah it Boots, and the display use to show the screen off and on now its just does not come on no more, it goes fromt pitch black its a light black(like its coming on but doesn't)..

Does it make a difference which firewire i get, because i noticed theres 6-4 pin, 6-6 pin, etc.

NicoleRichie

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007
Yeah it Boots, and the display use to show the screen off and on now its just does not come on no more, it goes fromt pitch black its a light black(like its coming on but doesn't)..

Does it make a difference which firewire i get, because i noticed theres 6-4 pin, 6-6 pin, etc.

6-6 if I am not mistaken

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.