Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2fs2ns

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2007
Pardon the ignorance here, our mac guys are no longer with the company so I'm doing my best to get stuff working over there...

I've got a powermac G5 with no hard drive. It died/used elsewhere/stolen, no idea. I'm assuming the rest of the machine is in working order.

We purchased a new 250 Gb Hitachi SATA hard drive. Plugged it in and booted off the OS X install disc. Get the apple wallpaper with the spinning "hourglass". Shortly after I get a message in a few languages telling me I need to restart the computer by holding down the power button.

We've tried another install disc, same result.

I put the hard drive in another mac and formatted it, OS Extended (journaled). Same result.

There was some Kingston ram installed in the machine, I removed those 2 sticks, same result.

So other options? I've been searching/googling with nothing that's helped so far.

Thanks!

Eric Piercey

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2006
Perpetual Bondage
A) Reset the PMU on the motherboard. Probably won't make a diff.
B) Put in a new motherboard battery. Probably will make a diff.

I'm guessing the battery is dead and it doesn't know what to boot from. I had the same symptoms when my battery died on my G5. Steal one from a PC just to test it out and then buy one as needed.

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
Shortly after I get a message in a few languages telling me I need to restart the computer by holding down the power button.

Thats a Kernel panic. Not good. Typically results from bad RAM.

If you removed all the RAM but one chip, and test each that way, see what happens.

Im sure someone here can direct you to the log file dump.

2fs2ns

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2007
Thanks guys.

I tested the ram, but I found that I need to have at least 2 chips in as it needs to run in pairs. Get the same error with either set it.

The battery on the board is unlink our PC batterys, it's about the size of half a AA battery. SAFT ls14250c

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
Not only pairs, but matched pairs. They must be the same speed and size, and usually best if they are from the same manufacturer (though not required if they are the same spec).

Eric Piercey

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2006
Perpetual Bondage
I know it's a little late, but I just wanted to add, if the battery is bad, you can still get past this screen by holding down the option button and manually selecting a boot volume. It will forget the boot volume the next time you boot, along with the date, but you'll know by the fact that the computer came up it's likely just a need to replace the battery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.