Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Oct 16, 2007, 03:50 PM   #1
acies909
macrumors newbie

My ibook does not recognize RAM

So i bought a 1gig RAM stick for my iBook for Kahlon. Kahlon said that this RAM was supported for my iBook. The specs for my iBook are 12in, 1.2 Ghz, 120gb hard drive and 1.25 gigs of RAM. Ok so I put in my RAM in about March and it worked fine for about 3 months. Then in late July my Mac started showing the "Grey Screen of Death." So i thought that it might of been the hard drive so i did some repairs and nothing changed. So then after that I reformatted my hard drive and reinstall Tiger and nothing changed either. So i finally took out my RAM and tested to see if that was the problem and low and behold my computer ran fine (a little slow because it was was running on 256mb of RAM but it ran fine for about a week). Then I put the RAM back on in it but the Computer only read that the 1gig stick was actually a 512mb RAM stick but it still worked fine for a week until I installed a update and so I had to restart my computer (restart being the Key Word). So when I restarted my computer my computer recognized that it had a total of 1.25gigs of RAM. But when i went to start up itunes or any other application it would immediately show the "Grey Screen of Death." Does anyone know what could have happened I think that it is the Logic Board but I don't know.
acies909 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2007, 04:16 PM   #2
Trepex
macrumors 6502a

It sounds to me like either a bad stick of RAM or else a faulty slot. If you can try another stick of RAM in the slot, try that in order to rule out the slot. Otherwise take a trip to an Apple store or else a repair shop to have them take a look. It should be easy enough for them to diagnose the problem.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 12:25 PM   #3
acies909
macrumors newbie

I am using a PC2700 RAM stick and the suggested RAM stick is PC2100. But I have heard that my iBook could handle a PC2700. Could that possilbe the problem that I just need to get a PC2100 stick.
acies909 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2007, 01:39 PM   #4
Trepex
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by acies909 View Post
I am using a PC2700 RAM stick and the suggested RAM stick is PC2100. But I have heard that my iBook could handle a PC2700. Could that possilbe the problem that I just need to get a PC2100 stick.
You describe the problem as being intermittent. If you use RAM that is too fast for your bus, or mismatch RAM of different speeds, it drops down to the speed of the lowest stick and/or the highest supported by the bus. In either case, you wouldn't see the intermittent problems that you have observed.

There is something else causing your problems. As I said, try to determine whether it is the stick or the slot.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs