Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Oct 16, 2007, 06:57 PM   #1
teiresias
macrumors regular

Can Acronis backup a Bootcamp XP partition image?

I just ordered my iMac - first one ever, and while I'm not going to put XP on it right away until I move it up to Leopard I was wondering if it's possible to use a Windows ghosting software - namely the one I own, Acronis True Image, to ghost and restore the XP partition if necessary. Has anyone done this and does it work? Thanks for the info!
teiresias is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2007, 08:17 AM   #2
nycgraeme
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by teiresias View Post
I just ordered my iMac - first one ever, and while I'm not going to put XP on it right away until I move it up to Leopard I was wondering if it's possible to use a Windows ghosting software - namely the one I own, Acronis True Image, to ghost and restore the XP partition if necessary. Has anyone done this and does it work? Thanks for the info!
I had the same question. I found this:
http://discussions.apple.com/thread....readID=1212978
nycgraeme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2007, 09:36 AM   #3
neilhart
macrumors 6502

Acronis, XP Pro, Bootcamp

I had assumed that Acronis would work. This thread caused me to run an Acronis backup of my bootcamp partition. Target drive was an external USB drive.

I have a SR MBP with a 32GB Leopard Bootcamp partition (with 11.2GBs used)and Acronis 8.0.

Acronis ran just like it would on a PC, completed in about 6 mins and produced an image of 5.1GBs. AND I clicked on the image file and loaded as a virtual drive; was able to read and copy data from the image. Then unplugged the image.

Now the question is how would you restore this image to MacBook Pro's internal bootcamp partition (if needed).

Of interest, Acronis sees all three partitions on the MBP's drive. I assume that you could back up the OSX and the EFI partitions also. Something to play with when I have more free external drive space.

Note, if you have Vista on your BootCamp partition, I think that you will need Acronis 10 (or later) just as you would in the PC world.

Neil

Last edited by neilhart; Nov 18, 2007 at 10:54 AM. Reason: edit MB to GB...
neilhart is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2007, 10:50 PM   #4
nycgraeme
macrumors newbie

i think that is the issue - it can make the image but you can't boot into acronis to load the image and use it to restore to a "fresh install"

found a program called WinClone but haven't tried it yet. i really like the Acronis product so its too bad.

Last edited by nycgraeme; Nov 27, 2007 at 10:50 PM. Reason: clairity
nycgraeme is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help