Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Silverhawk

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 16, 2007
I know this topic gets tossed around a lot but to be honest, with Apple looking to promote more Mac compatible games and the iMac not suiting most gamers' needs... here's how it should of been done:

Take the Mac Pro, reduce it to like half its size give the body a black carbon fiber finish with the front plate being gun metal gray. Still preserving the dual optical drive bays (or one in this case) containing Blu-Ray (back in the day, they said Microsoft would push HD-DVD and Apple would push Blu-Ray) Then give it new Quad Extreme Chips (two sets for gamers) and one for the beginners of professional needs; a Quad Xeon chip. Next would be a max of 8GB of DDR3 RAM, Two hot swapping hard drives just like the Mac Pro has, and then here's the nitty gritty of the controversy of them all... video cards.

Model 1: Would have the Nvidia 8800 GTS
Model 2: Could have the Nvidia 8800 GTX
Model 3: For the professionals, Nvidia Quadro FX 5600 :apple:

aLoC

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2006
A lot of people want this mini tower Mac, but I would be happy with just a few more BTO options on the iMac:
- A matte screen for the pros
- A higher end video card for the gamers

Then you could BTO a gamer iMac or a pro one. At the moment it's at an uncomfortable medium.

I don't regard expandability as very valuable at this point in history because nothing is stable. In 2-3 years your lcd, motherboard, ram, cpu will all be out of date. It's not like you'll be able to just upgrade one part.

Bigheadache

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2004
You're never going to get a true high end video card in the imac, since it needs to meet certain thermal standards. Hence I can understand people wanting some sort of cut down mac pro which can take a top line graphics card.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.