Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac

Old Oct 16, 2007, 10:51 PM   #1
lazymej
macrumors newbie

Bootcamp and Fan

Hi everyone. I read somewhere that if you run windows under bootcamp, windows doesn't control your fans properly and your computer can overheat? Is that true? I'm using a C2D Macbook Pro. Thanks in advance.
lazymej is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2007, 08:19 AM   #2
IamNobody
macrumors newbie

Cool smcFanControl

As long as you don't block the vents at the back of your MBP (hard to do), you should be fine with the default setting. The MBP still controls the fan OK, even though it may get a bit toasty.

I use SMC Fan Control on my MBP. If I'm running something intensive, like a heavy graphic game in Windows, I set the Fan control a little higher in OSX. When I switch to Boot Camp, the fan speed remains at that setting.
IamNobody is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2007, 03:40 PM   #3
flyinmac
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazymej View Post
Hi everyone. I read somewhere that if you run windows under bootcamp, windows doesn't control your fans properly and your computer can overheat? Is that true? I'm using a C2D Macbook Pro. Thanks in advance.
My Mac Pro always sounds the same regardless of whether I'm running Vista or OS X. I run Vista from Boot Camp.

I say you should be fine.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 04:36 PM   #4
Trepex
macrumors 6502a

You'll be fine. Apple officially supports this mode of operation and although I have seen a number of reports that the fans run louder, your machine is in no danger.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 03:43 AM   #5
rrijkers
macrumors 6502

I am even getting darker edges since the heat of the laptop is getting onto the lcd screen. I need to cool it like very much! But i don't know how. Gonna try that smcfanconrol tip

This works - set your fan speed in mac os with the smc fancontrol - then boot into xp and have a cool xp when playing gfx games!

Last edited by rrijkers; Nov 7, 2007 at 03:51 AM.
rrijkers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2007, 04:07 AM   #6
RevToTheRedline
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNobody View Post
I use SMC Fan Control on my MBP. If I'm running something intensive, like a heavy graphic game in Windows, I set the Fan control a little higher in OSX. When I switch to Boot Camp, the fan speed remains at that setting.
This is exactly what I do, but I use it on a iMac, and I use windows 99.99% of the time for heavy gaming, so I set the fans in OSX to about half speed, then restart to XP.

Just a little note, the fan speeds from SMC will stay the same if you reboot, if you shut down they will reset. To anyone that was wondering about that.
RevToTheRedline is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2007, 01:00 AM   #7
Dj-Grobe
macrumors member

amazing no exist just oen toool for take control of fans form windows !
Dj-Grobe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2007, 12:33 AM   #8
karenflower
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj-Grobe View Post
amazing no exist just oen toool for take control of fans form windows !
There does! You can use Input Remapper, from here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=58373

I'm using it on my macbook and it works great. Not quite as elegant as smcfancontrol, but it gets the job done ^.^
karenflower is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2008, 12:37 AM   #9
Dj-Grobe
macrumors member

input remaper is for MBP how cool my IMAC ?
Dj-Grobe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2008, 11:09 PM   #10
karenflower
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj-Grobe View Post
input remaper is for MBP how cool my IMAC ?
I don't know about your iMac, sorry, have you tried it anyway? Also desktop computers are less prone to overheating, have you been tracking the temperatures?

Hope you find what you want!
karenflower is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2008, 03:39 PM   #11
Justinerator
macrumors 6502

I never had a problem with the fans in windows on my mbp. I wouldn't worry about it. If worst comes to worst, you could always install SMC Fan Control
Old Jun 12, 2009, 05:01 PM   #12
w00t951
macrumors 68000

I have Windows Vista 32 bit, but for some strange reason, the fans keep revving up to around 5000 or 6000 RPM. During the login screen. I disabled the Windows Glass effects and made it look like Windows 2000, but it still revs up.
w00t951 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2009, 05:45 PM   #13
Gav Mack
macrumors 68000

Cos Windows solely uses the 9600 GT it heats up far more than running the 9400 in Leopard, particularly near the left hand speaker on my 15 unibody. Windows 7 seems to heat up far less than XP did, but bearing in mind the thermal problems Nvidia has had with their GPU's over the past two years I thought it prudent to spend 30 on a Zalman notebook cooler which does the job nicely.
Gav Mack is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac