Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bretm

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 12, 2002
From apple website...

Third Party Applications on the iPhone
Let me just say it: We want native third party applications on the iPhone, and we plan to have an SDK in developers’ hands in February. We are excited about creating a vibrant third party developer community around the iPhone and enabling hundreds of new applications for our users. With our revolutionary multi-touch interface, powerful hardware and advanced software architecture, we believe we have created the best mobile platform ever for developers. It will take until February to release an SDK because we’re trying to do two diametrically opposed things at once—provide an advanced and open platform to developers while at the same time protect iPhone users from viruses, malware, privacy attacks, etc. This is no easy task. Some claim that viruses and malware are not a problem on mobile phones—this is simply not true. There have been serious viruses on other mobile phones already, including some that silently spread from phone to phone over the cell network. As our phones become more powerful, these malicious programs will become more dangerous. And since the iPhone is the most advanced phone ever, it will be a highly visible target. Some companies are already taking action. Nokia, for example, is not allowing any applications to be loaded onto some of their newest phones unless they have a digital signature that can be traced back to a known developer. While this makes such a phone less than “totally open,” we believe it is a step in the right direction. We are working on an advanced system which will offer developers broad access to natively program the iPhone’s amazing software platform while at the same time protecting users from malicious programs. We think a few months of patience now will be rewarded by many years of great third party applications running on safe and reliable iPhones. Steve P.S.: The SDK will also allow developers to create applications for iPod touch.

Retired
May 16, 2006
Awesome...I'll probably get it when I can use VoIP, so I can unlock the phone and pay very little (I mostly use my mobile where I have WiFi) :)

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Apple announces SDK coming in Feburary

http://www.apple.com/hotnews/

Third Party Applications on the iPhone
Let me just say it: We want native third party applications on the iPhone, and we plan to have an SDK in developers’ hands in February. We are excited about creating a vibrant third party developer community around the iPhone and enabling hundreds of new applications for our users. With our revolutionary multi-touch interface, powerful hardware and advanced software architecture, we believe we have created the best mobile platform ever for developers.

It will take until February to release an SDK because we’re trying to do two diametrically opposed things at once—provide an advanced and open platform to developers while at the same time protect iPhone users from viruses, malware, privacy attacks, etc. This is no easy task. Some claim that viruses and malware are not a problem on mobile phones—this is simply not true. There have been serious viruses on other mobile phones already, including some that silently spread from phone to phone over the cell network. As our phones become more powerful, these malicious programs will become more dangerous. And since the iPhone is the most advanced phone ever, it will be a highly visible target.

Some companies are already taking action. Nokia, for example, is not allowing any applications to be loaded onto some of their newest phones unless they have a digital signature that can be traced back to a known developer. While this makes such a phone less than “totally open,” we believe it is a step in the right direction. We are working on an advanced system which will offer developers broad access to natively program the iPhone’s amazing software platform while at the same time protecting users from malicious programs.

We think a few months of patience now will be rewarded by many years of great third party applications running on safe and reliable iPhones.

Steve

P.S.: The SDK will also allow developers to create applications for iPod touch. [Oct 17, 2007]

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
Steve Jobs Announces 3rd Party SDK for iPhone for February 2008

Steve Jobs has posted an open letter revealing that Apple will be releasing a 3rd party SDK for iPhone and iPod Touch development. The SDK will be released in February 2008.

At this time, the letter only appears on Apple's Hot News page:

We've reproduced it here in its entirety:
Let me just say it: We want native third party applications on the iPhone, and we plan to have an SDK in developers’ hands in February. We are excited about creating a vibrant third party developer community around the iPhone and enabling hundreds of new applications for our users. With our revolutionary multi-touch interface, powerful hardware and advanced software architecture, we believe we have created the best mobile platform ever for developers.

It will take until February to release an SDK because we’re trying to do two diametrically opposed things at once—provide an advanced and open platform to developers while at the same time protect iPhone users from viruses, malware, privacy attacks, etc. This is no easy task. Some claim that viruses and malware are not a problem on mobile phones—this is simply not true. There have been serious viruses on other mobile phones already, including some that silently spread from phone to phone over the cell network. As our phones become more powerful, these malicious programs will become more dangerous. And since the iPhone is the most advanced phone ever, it will be a highly visible target.

Some companies are already taking action. Nokia, for example, is not allowing any applications to be loaded onto some of their newest phones unless they have a digital signature that can be traced back to a known developer. While this makes such a phone less than “totally open,” we believe it is a step in the right direction. We are working on an advanced system which will offer developers broad access to natively program the iPhone’s amazing software platform while at the same time protecting users from malicious programs.

We think a few months of patience now will be rewarded by many years of great third party applications running on safe and reliable iPhones.

Steve

P.S.: The SDK will also allow developers to create applications for iPod touch. [Oct 17, 2007]

Article Link

mkaake

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2003
mi
Maybe this will finally put and end to the whining, while simultaneously giving others (and myself, for that matter) a compelling reason to consider the iPhone (or iPod Touch)...

4God

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2005
My Mac
Wow! I love it. Lots of great apps coming now....(or at least in a few months). :D
This is only the beginning.

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
thank the lord. finally apple has gotten some common sense! only thing is that we have to wait until Feb :rolleyes:

Yeah, why couldn't they have thought of doing this before? I mean, if they'd planned on doing this all along, they'd probably be announcing around about now that they'll be releasing an SDK in February.

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
Will some of the nay-sayers finally shut up now? Please!!

I can't imagine how amazing a device the iPhone is going to be in 1-2 years. I'm excited!

GodzPeepz

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2007
WOW!:eek:

I sure glad that Steve is starting to realize that we need our 3rd party apps on our phone!

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Steve is right on with this delay until February.There are virusus and malware on some cellphones.

Now I wish only that people would stop hacking their phones so engineers can breath a little better.The happier a coder is the better the code. ;)

hooch

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2006
Chicago
I have said it many times, but I really need to buy appl stock now. This is going to make a lot of people think twice.

Nicky G

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2002
Baltimore
Holy fudge!!!

I'm blown away, not only that they are doing it, but that they announced it now and not at Macworld... Makes me wonder what goodies await us in January, that such a huge announcement they are happy to spill now? Maybe they want to spur a lot of holiday sales of iPhone and iPod touch.

WRXHokie

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2005
Gotha, FL
Well done.... is this what they've been planning all along or have they found that there is no way to stop this from happening, so they might as well play along? Thats the question in my mind.

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
This was entirely predictable, an SDK was coming at some stage. The reasons outlined are perfectly acceptable. It is also acceptable that Apple wanted the product to bed down in the market before opening up the platform.

Remember — the first Mac didn't have and SDK.

Please note Jobs also says they "plan" for February, not "definitely" February, so don't start whinging on Feb 1st when we don't have your SDK.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.