Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Josephkyles

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
I have a DVD project with multiple Videos. The total size comes to 4.5 GBs and 137 minutes long. iDvD says that I have too much on the DVD and it will not be able to fit everything on the disc. Toast however is not having a problem at all getting all the footage on one disc, in fact it has room to spare. I want everything on one disc, but the menus in Toast aren't very good looking. Is there anything else I can do to fit all my stuff on one DVD? I have my settings set to Best quality and its a single layer disc.

Erendiox

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2004
Brooklyn NY
iDVD and Toast are probably encoding things a little differently, which is why you're getting different responses from both as far as fitting it on one disk. There's really no way around it. You could always trim your footage, or, like mentioned above, buy some dual layer DVDs.

Best of luck :)

Bewindo

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2007
Québec, Canada
iDVD unable to fit 4.5 GBs on one DVD??

I have a DVD project with multiple Videos. The total size comes to 4.5 GBs and 137 minutes long. iDvD says that I have too much on the DVD and it will not be able to fit everything on the disc. Toast however is not having a problem at all getting all the footage on one disc, in fact it has room to spare. I want everything on one disc, but the menus in Toast aren't very good looking. Is there anything else I can do to fit all my stuff on one DVD? I have my settings set to Best quality and its a single layer disc.

Heuu maybe I'm wrong, but I think that if you set your preferences to "Best quality" in iDVD, it will guess how it could fit your video on one DVD and do it.

Usually, the 1 hour limit is because "Best performance" is setted.

By the way, the quality of the compression is better with iDVD than with Toast, trust me. Videos are clearer and more realist when compressed with iDVD. Toast seems to compress too much, even for a 30 minutes video.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Doesn't "best performance" (or whatever the "low quality" setting is called) still top out at 120 minutes (including menus)?

Is there a way in toast to adjust the compression settings?

Lethal

Bewindo

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2007
Québec, Canada
you'll have to drop the "best quality" setting if you want to use iDVD. 137mins is too much video when using that setting.

In iDVD settings:

"Best performance" is for 60mins or less videos
"Best Quality" is for 120mins or less videos

So 137mins is to much for iDVD. You must use Toast. Toast has a "fit to DVD" feature, setting automatically the best compression to fit your movie on one DVD.

But, Toast video quality sucks. For my opinion.

GSMiller

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2006
Kentucky
I can never get Toast DVDs to play, but have never had a problem with any burnt in iDVD. You should be able to change the settings like everyone else has suggested and it fit.

SigmundFraud

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2007
iDVD's big Audio

iDVD only encodes audio as PCM - big, fat, uncompressed audio - I think this was so we could use iTunes AAC tracks without double compression degradation. PCM has about 10x the bit rate compared to Dolby AC3 that Toast uses, so will fill up disks much faster. Sadly, Toast uses the Main Concept video compressor - I've never understood Main Concept - even the pro version in Adobe Premier is one of the worst MPEG2 compressors on the market. This cut-down version in Toast is horrible. Toast's video compression quality was the one downside of moving from PC and having to say farewell to Nero. Nero had an awful interface, lovely MPEG 2 compressor.

Flynnstone

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Cold beer land
In iDVD settings:

"Best performance" is for 60mins or less videos
"Best Quality" is for 120mins or less videos

So 137mins is to much for iDVD. You must use Toast. Toast has a "fit to DVD" feature, setting automatically the best compression to fit your movie on one DVD.

But, Toast video quality sucks. For my opinion.

What about "Professional Quality"?

Bewindo

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2007
Québec, Canada
What about "Professional Quality"?

Here's what Macword says about this feature...

Professional Quality encoding
iDVD still retains a two-hour limit to how much media you can put onto a standard single-sized DVD, but now iDVD ’08 provides another encoding option: Professional Quality.

The Pro setting uses two-pass variable bit rate (VBR) encoding, which means that iDVD examines every frame of video twice to determine the best amount of compression to apply; the High Quality setting uses single-pass VBR. The Pro setting takes more time, of course. I burned a two-hour project in 3 hours 52 minutes on a new 20-inch iMac; at High Quality, the encoding and burning took 1 hour 15 minutes.

In my testing, video encoded at the Pro setting benefited most in terms of color quality. The high quality version appeared slightly washed out in comparison. The Pro encoding also enhanced the appearance of still photos in slideshows. Speaking of slideshows, you can now add movies to them, letting you punch up photo essays with a little motion.

AlmightyPriest

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2011
answer to your ?

when you have idvd up, click on the project dropdown at the top, then click the project info button. change the quality from best quality to professional quality. i do this for every movie i burn and it works everytime, but if it is in best quality it says it will not fit. hope this helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.