Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

odinsride

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 11, 2007
Hi I just got my two new OWC FW800 drives tonight, want to benchmark them and compare with my old USB drives. Any software recommendations? Free please :)

techmonkey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Did you ever find some Mac benchmarking software for hard drives? I know a couple for Windows, but I need to find one for Mac.

fingernagel

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2010
What are the average speeds for a 2TB Hitachi Drive in a iMac late 2009 27"? Where can I get these results?

My iMac was the first weeks really fast and now it slows down and when I am rendering in AfterEffects, for example, then it needs a lot more time than before and it slows everything else down. Opening a windows in finder even provoces the watch-colour-simbol.

My speeds are like FW800: 89.4MB/s Write and 84.3MB/s Read. This can't be right can it? Is the internal Harddrive not connected with eSata?

yashrg

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2008
@fingernagel my external hard drive using eSata express card adapter on my macbook pro gets an average score of 88.6 MBPS read and 85.8 MBPS write

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Ok. Weird. I thought that E-Sata is much more faster. Thanks for your (late) reply.

External SATA (E-SATA) is potentially just as fast as internal SATA, but the biggest limiting factor is usually the drive itself. A lot is going to depend on exactly what you're transferring anyways. Larger files vs a lot of smaller files, even for the same total amount of data transferred will affect the transfer speed, as will other activity on the bus.

jW

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.