Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Old Oct 17, 2007, 08:44 PM   #1
warhead55
macrumors newbie

Possible to connect to a hidden wireless network?

So I was using Stumbler on the ipod yesterday at school, and I found an unprotected but hidden wireless signal. When I went to connect to it, it wouldn't show up on the ipod touch, only when I use Stumbler will it show. My question is this, is it possible as of now to connect to that hidden network? If not, how hard will it be to code something so that the Ipod Touch can pickup hidden signals?
warhead55 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2007, 08:49 PM   #2
gloss
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to gloss
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead55 View Post
So I was using Stumbler on the ipod yesterday at school, and I found an unprotected but hidden wireless signal. When I went to connect to it, it wouldn't show up on the ipod touch, only when I use Stumbler will it show. My question is this, is it possible as of now to connect to that hidden network? If not, how hard will it be to code something so that the Ipod Touch can pickup hidden signals?
You can enter a network name in the Settings menu and it should connect.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 08:50 PM   #3
JNB
macrumors 604

Send a message via Skype™ to JNB
It's not so much hidden as it's just not broadcasting its SSID. Manually enter the network, if you were invited to, by just selecting "Other" in the Choose a Network section of the WiFi Preferences and entering the SSID in the Name field. It it's truly unprotected (meaning no network security imposed), then leave the Security field set to "None".

Remember, just because it's unprotected doesn't mean you are permitted to access it.

JNB is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2007, 08:51 PM   #4
uburoibob
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead55 View Post
When you go to select a WiFi network, choose "OTHER".

Old Oct 17, 2007, 08:58 PM   #5
warhead55
macrumors newbie

Oh god, I am such a fool. Thanks, let's hope the connection works!
warhead55 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2007, 09:47 AM   #6
JungMin
macrumors newbie

But how can you enter the network name??? If you use Stumbler on the iPod Touch and find hidden networks, the SSID is hidden - meaning you don't know the network name and therefore can't enter it in 'Manual Settings'. It shows the BSSID, i'm assuming thats its MAC address. But I dont think that helps?

Any help??
JungMin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2007, 12:13 PM   #7
Eric Piercey
macrumors 6502

I think that the idea of not broadcasting the SSID is to keep parasites off, no? Just silly not to put up a WEP too though, I'll admit.
Eric Piercey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2007, 07:28 PM   #8
mavis
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to mavis Send a message via MSN to mavis
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNotBeatle View Post
It's not so much hidden as it's just not broadcasting its SSID. Manually enter the network, if you were invited to, by just selecting "Other" in the Choose a Network section of the WiFi Preferences and entering the SSID in the Name field. It it's truly unprotected (meaning no network security imposed), then leave the Security field set to "None".

Remember, just because it's unprotected doesn't mean you are permitted to access it.
I understand your point, but I'm of the opinion that if someone doesn't bother using any security on their network, it is open. Open for anyone (including me on my iTouch) to use ...
Old Dec 31, 2007, 10:01 PM   #9
JungMin
macrumors newbie

I realize what a hidden network is trying to do. I am trying to figure out how to use Stumbler.

If you use Stumbler and find a hidden network, how do you connect to it as Stumbler still doesnt give you the SSID??
Old Jan 1, 2008, 02:36 AM   #10
JungMin
macrumors newbie

Found this on www.wlanbook.com

Quote:
Connecting to Hidden Wireless Networks
It is not possible to connect to an 802.11 wireless LAN if you don’t know the SSID.
To reveal the hidden SSID/network you can use free WiFi scanning software such as Kismet or KisMAC. These tools use passive scanning methods to extract the SSID from frames other than beacon frames.
NetStumbler, iStumbler, and MacStumbler are active WiFi scanning tools and can not reveal hidden SSIDs

Edit: I just installed iStumbler on my macbook....and it shows the hidden SSID's!?!?! So, i guess the version for the ipod touch just can't do it??

Last edited by JungMin; Jan 1, 2008 at 02:48 AM.
Old Apr 20, 2009, 08:48 AM   #11
jakdominance
macrumors member

I am having a somewhat similar problem, but it's on a hidden network with a WPA personal password. I've found it on kismac on my macbook, however, even when putting it in manually a few times on my touch it says "could not find 'xxxxxxxx'". Why is this?
jakdominance is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2009, 12:00 PM   #12
goosnarrggh
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakdominance View Post
I am having a somewhat similar problem, but it's on a hidden network with a WPA personal password. I've found it on kismac on my macbook, however, even when putting it in manually a few times on my touch it says "could not find 'xxxxxxxx'". Why is this?
If the router is already using a reasonably up-to-date encryption algorithm, then there's no good rationale to hide the SSID. Talk to the network administrator about fixing his configuration.

But you're using kismac to identify the network in the first place, which most likely means that you don't have the administrator's permission to use the network. If that's the case, then personally, I'm relieved that this apparent bug exists in the iPod touch.

Last edited by goosnarrggh; Apr 20, 2009 at 12:08 PM.
goosnarrggh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2010, 05:26 PM   #13
kylemcgr
macrumors newbie

iPhone 4

Hey guys I'm currently running into a similar problem. The wireless network that is setup at my residence is a hidden network. So I gave my landlord my MAC address to put it on the list. He confirmed it's on along with another macbook which seems to connect with no problem. My iPhone however won't connect to it. I tried joining the hidden network by punching in it's info.

Unable to connect.

Any suggestions?
kylemcgr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2010, 12:33 PM   #14
JediMeister
macrumors 68040

The iPhone 4 and iPod touch are unable to join 5 GHz networks. The iPad on the other hand can join 2.4 or 5 GHz. If your landlord uses an n-only network, your iPhone cannot join it without him changing the configuration.
JediMeister is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2010, 11:04 PM   #15
xplnusa
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to xplnusa Send a message via Yahoo to xplnusa
My father in law has a linksys 2.4GHZ router and I can't get on it with my iPhone or iPad. Its hidden, but he gave me the name and the password. However whenever I try to find it it just tells me that it can not find the network name. Any ideas?
xplnusa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2011, 03:27 AM   #16
12in Below
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMeister View Post
The iPhone 4 and iPod touch are unable to join 5 GHz networks. The iPad on the other hand can join 2.4 or 5 GHz. If your landlord uses an n-only network, your iPhone cannot join it without him changing the configuration.
just to clear up that statement, all "N" type networks are not 5GHz actually more often than not an "N" type network is 2.4GHz. it takes a dual band "N" type (draft-N included) to run at 5GHz.

i agree tho i cannot connect either of my (jailbroken/unlocked or untouched) Verizon iPhone 4 running v4.2.6 on the 5GHz side but i am running mine now on a dual band "N" on the 2.4GHz side set to "N" only. but i run into the same problem as everyone else if i turn of the SSID from broadcasting. i have even set it to broadcast > connected > then turn off broadcasting and it kicks me right off and doesn't let me re-join until i broadcast. i use mac filtering as well so its not that big of a deal broadcasting or not, but even turning all security off it still will not connect unless the SSID is broadcasting.
12in Below is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch